Author Topic: Dover  (Read 2469 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Dover
« on: March 26, 2021, 05:27:51 PM »
Just to cheer SC up on a Friday afternoon, the NL have decided to slap Dover on the wrist (with a hanky), OK it's a 12 point deduction and £40K fine but compared to the costs KLTFC and others are incurring to complete the season the NL have shown themselves (again) to be completely incompetent.  So, Dover can now start planning their 2021/22 NL season and budget whilst Lynn, Wealdstone etc have to continue to go through the motions, racking up costs that will have to be found from somewhere (next seasons budget?)

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-statement-outcome-of-club-charges-65398

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
Re: Dover
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 06:57:21 PM »
Fortune favours the brave.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 07:14:13 PM »
40k is a cost saving.   However facing a -12 point start to next season might prove costing to play catch up with.  Need a decent squad to catch up on giving the rest of the League a 4 win start.

I wonder how they arrived at a 12 point deduction for refusing to play 29 games ? Equates to .4 of a point per game and £1380 per game

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 07:20:42 PM »
Surely they are going to have to repay the government Grant and they will have to repay the Gray all clubs received from the league. Total cop out by the league.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 07:23:30 PM »
No mention of any repayments to be made.

I do wonder if Dover were hoping to get a two League demotion ?  Seems the League have kicked Dovers can further down the Road.  Will be interesting to see what happens to them as a club.
At least they had the gonads to make a stand.  Despite several other clubs making the same noises they stood alone.

Good luck to them

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 10:01:48 PM »
As far as I can see they have done nothing wrong....just abided by co law and football requirements and avoided trading while knowingly insolvent.

IMO in terms of league status, Lynn have had a lucky escape.......they probably would have been relegated if the league had played out fully...........the squad at the start of the season wasn't anywhere near strong enough and the financial clout insufficient to bring in real quality mid season.

Its doubtless come at significant financial cost, but hopefully when the FA finally makes a decision on no relegation for step 1, there will be step 1 footie for Lynn next term. Given the costs of playing on it seems imperative to me that the most is made of the remaining matches in terms of trying out possible players, formations and learning about the opposition., all for next season.

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 07:09:46 AM »
Considering Dover are not being relegated the league are actually saying there will be no relegation without confirming it. There's a surprise.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 08:58:11 PM »

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Assume nothing, question everything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 10:34:30 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56550910

"Football has got a problem with its governance, particularly below the Football League," he added.

No sh!t Sherlock!   :banghead;

There's a link on the Ollie Bayliss Twitter account where Cleeve phoned in and spoke to Robbie Savage about Dover and Lynn.

It's worth a listen. Probably asks more questions than gives any answers.
"We're going to need a bigger boat".

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 10:06:03 AM »
Makes for interesting listening.   Waiting on the loan to be given the ok.  How much would need to be borrowed to limp through to the end of season ?  Can’t be a lot.

Doesn’t sound great for the Chairman having to sell of some of his assets to pay some bills to keep the thing going.

With the budget this year seeing us struggle at the wrong end of the table. What will next season  be like with a smaller budget ?

Worrying times for the Chairman and the Club in general

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 11:10:29 AM »
perhaps if we can prove we can't afford to repay a loan we might qualify for Grant instead. Isn't tat what was being said.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 11:18:30 AM »
Don't think next season's budget will be hit too badly....players are likely to have lower wages and the loan is very long term at low interest. The concern is the liability sitting in the balance sheet....and of course the Chairman should repay himself to cover some of his asset loss.

I am glad the NL board have acted in the way they have re fining Dover.... hopefully there will be a legal case and hopefully there will be a vote.of no confidence in the Board......how many out of the 70 odd Chairman wouldn't sign it I wonder...my guess would be very few would leave their names off it.

If it goes to court and Dover win, the likes of Lynn, Wealdstone, Halifax, who have been forced to take on debts/loans/extra expense could well be in a position to claim recompense, especially given that the taking on of such debt is potentially against the NL's own laid down rules.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 11:41:56 AM »
It’s interesting that Dover Chairman says paying the 40k fine would send the Club to the wall on one hand.   Yet he quickly says that he will take Court action against the League on the other.  No win no fee option with a solicitor.?  As for a barrister I guess that going rate these days must be around 12-15k a day.  Including needing paying for Reading and advice.

If the Club gets a decent loan at 2% then at least they have a ‘holiday’ before the repayments start.  20 years to pay that money back is a big commitment after that.

Would a 40k fine and a 12 point deduction have been a better deal ?

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 12:50:35 PM »
I am sure the Dover Chairman will be sure of his case before proceeding. I am no QC, but from my perspective he has done everything he should have to protect the club and abide by the law.

I am not sure what grounds the NL have for imposing any sanctions or fines....the argument of "other clubs weren't prepared to stand up and do the right thing and played on and incurred costs", doesn't seem to be much of a legal argument to me. The costs of action, will presumably be paid by the losing party in this case.....I wouldn't .be surprised  to see a number of actions against the NL from various clubs on a number of different issues.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 01:26:41 PM »
He can be as sure of his case as he wants.  However he will still need to show ability to pay. If 40k is going to send the club to the wall then that maybe a problem.

Maybe all the Clubs who have been fined should have them rescinded to be replaced by points deductions for the start of next season.

Dover seem unhappy about the fine but no mention of any complaints of a points deduction,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal