Author Topic: Sluff  (Read 4768 times)

robbo84

• View Profile
Sluff
« on: April 17, 2016, 10:40:51 AM »
I do feel like I'm saying it every week but yet another game where the outcome could have been very different if we had taken our chances while we were on top.

We started slowly with Slough missing two very good chances in the opening minutes, before we had a couple of good chances of our own, firstly Sands hitting the post after one of his trademark turns in the box, then Hurst having a strike from the edge of the area headed off the line.

Slough's number 9 was a constant threat all afternoon and they had lots of pace going forward. He slid in their first goal from a tight angle 30 minutes in. We had chances to level for the rest of the first half when Sands latched on to through balls twice but managed to fire both chances just over.

Second half was very much end to end with both teams piling forward then trying to hit the other on the break. Clunan was eventually withdrawn limping as he was kicked all over the place in a bid to nullify the amount of time he spent on the ball. A story of more chances created and missed before Slough eventually settled it in the last minute with a second goal from their number 9.

Yes the game had that end of season feel about it, but the only real difference between the two sides was a player that could put chances away. Slough's goalkeeper got man of the match although one of their central defenders or their number 9 caused us problems all afternoon and were just as worthy.

rod

• View Profile
Re: Sluff
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 11:11:11 AM »
As I posted on the live match feed, yesterday for me was very much the story of our season.....Too often going behind and although creating chances, failing to be clinical enough in front of goal........The fact that our keading scorer has only 13 bears testimony to that. Setch' holds that view also - he said as much at the fan's forum and I wonder, if he signs for us will John Sands become that elusive 20+ goal striker? To get the best return from him IMO we need a good old fashioned style winger who can turn a defence and cross from the dead ball line - like Spriggsy did wen he was at his best.

Linnet1947

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 04:28:15 PM »
Sounds like a game that sums up our season. We are not quite sharp enough up front,
and our defence is under too much pressure. There is not much wrong with our back 5
(Fryatt and Pedro have been outstanding this season.)
Its up front where we need more creativity . Plus we need to defend from the front.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 05:10:14 PM »
Why don't we play wide on both wings and stretch the opposition defence and be ready for the overhit ball pinging out to the far wing? Also have a man wide on the far side from corners?
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Linnet1947

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 05:13:01 PM »
I have mentioned previously that we need a good winger, to help create more chances up front.
Hopefully Setch will be trying to sign one for next season.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 05:44:30 PM »
I'm sure Setch is well aware on where we need to improve for next season. The good thing he has had a full season to bed in his new squad in readiness for next season. The summer should be about fine tuning what he already has. I'm sure he has started the process and has been busy making a few phone calls.

As Tazzy has reminded us most days, Exciting Times ahead

Edit...

Looks Like it might not all be  about Young Local talent next season.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/slough_town_2_king_s_lynn_town_0_linnets_lacking_in_character_1_4498576

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »
Interesting and as always honest post match observations from Setch'......However his view that not all were giving 100% is surely a cause for concern? I found also his assertion that we need some older more influential players in the team an interesting one.........He did not mention Stevo' but surely this should be very much what we are looking for from him and the likes of David Bridges?

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/slough_town_2_king_s_lynn_town_0_linnets_lacking_in_character_1_4498576

I have in the past posted that IMO we need a 'big' experienced personality to compliment and guide our youngsters - a leader - someone like Paul Raynor...This man or someone of similar calibre would fit the bill as he ran the game for Weymouth until getting injured.................http://www.theterras.co.uk/website/pen%20pics/2015_2016/mark_molesley.htm

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 11:57:32 AM »
Interesting and as always honest post match observations from Setch'......However his view that not all were giving 100% is surely a cause for concern? I found also his assertion that we need some older more influential players in the team an interesting one.........He did not mention Stevo' but surely this should be very much what we are looking for from him and the likes of David Bridges?

I have in the past posted that IMO we need a 'big' experienced personality to compliment and guide our youngsters - a leader - someone like Paul Raynor...This man or someone of similar calibre would fit the bill as he ran the game for Weymouth until getting injured.................http://www.theterras.co.uk/website/pen%20pics/2015_2016/mark_molesley.htm

I have posted the same before now. We have talented players in our midfield but I wouldn't consider any of them to have that 'nasty' streak which is sometimes required. Raynor was a good example as he was very good at letting opponents know he was there early on in games and it often disrupted how other teams played through our midfield. On Saturday Slough realised how influential Clunan was to our midfield play, so they resorted to kicking him up in the air repeatedly until he was eventually withdrawn.

One thing I'm not a fan of is those players that constantly trail the referee around to offer an opinion on every decision, and that is whether they play for the opposition or for us. Having seen over 30 games this season there does seem to be something of a problem regarding referees not doing enough to stamp out this kind of behaviour. If foul and abusive language is a yellow card, then show the player a yellow card. Don't just stand there letting them swear at you!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 12:11:59 PM »
Midfield Player who would do that role for us would be the lad who is/was at St Neots. Mitchell-King.  Interesting that Setch says he wants another Gulliver type.  Does that mean one of Gaughran, Miller or Castellan could be on their way ?  Bunting did an excellent job at Step 5 and was ok at Step 4, but didn't cut it at Step3, and stepped back down to step 5 with Rushden when he left us.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
I think we are well covered at the back....I would like to see that Raynor type player and character in our mid field.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 02:20:40 PM »
No disrespect to the midfielders we had in the UCL as there was plenty of talent, but it was only when Bunting arrived we finally had that "midfield general". I guess it helped that his partnership with Quigley was well established and enabled us to hit the ground running at step 4.
He was also very effective at preventing other teams exposing Gulliver's lack of pace, something where we were sometimes found out in games where he didn't play.

At step 3 I don't think we saw him back to his best as he was rushed back from a summer operation. I don't think it's a coincidence that Rushden's slump in form of late this season has come at a time that Bunts has again missed a run of games due to injury.

I think Connor Marshall could potentially be that player as he has shown a lot of similarities to Bunting's style of play, but we are still going to be without him for the first two to three months of next season.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 04:34:19 PM »
Could Sam G do that job? Setch' played him there a couple of times a month or so ago?

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 04:52:12 PM »
I'm not 100% convinced. He has had good games and bad games in that position.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 04:26:56 PM »
Might take a while for him to adjust but as the position requires discipline - not to be easily drawn out of position and an ability to read the game, I think he might grow into it?