Author Topic: Kairo Mitchell Leaves for Chesterfield  (Read 3223 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Re: Kairo Mitchell Leaves for Chesterfield
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 10:52:41 AM »
Absolutely gs, £25k is peanuts at this level and people posting on here need to wake up to that IMHO
Improved income streams are required urgently...how long have some us been saying that. Mitchell really is one for the future....Lynn haven't a cat in hells chance of competing next season if they sell off the gains/findsof this year and start from scratch again in a few months. They seem to have the old small club mentality of previous years...happy to be a small club, find develop sell on and don't stand in the player's way of progression........if a guy signs for a year then he should IMO be encouraged to honour that, otherwise players will be picked off again over the next 6 months, Lynn will quickly find themselves back in NLN and the dream will be well and truly over. Good strikers are hard to find........in the space of 6 months we have lost Loza, Marriott and Mitchell.........take a quick look at the high scorers for the club for this season and consider how we will fare if we can't replace them.

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 10:58:48 AM »
Very, very difficult to keep players when its a full time contract versus a part time one.......and so Lynn have unearthed a few gems during the season and they get picked off just like that.........Carey is also obviously being looked at.

Been a tough reality check this season for everyone associated with Lynn. And hopefully everyone associated realises that Lynn have a ceiling which they're at now. No shame in that, but only so far you can push being part time.

Personally I think the days of having a 'close knit' squad are gone. You just need to keep a few vocal players involved who know where club has come from, likes of McAuley, Clunan, Gash and ideally would have been Pedro too. Then be ruthless in accepting the club will be a revolving door for players like Mitchell, where club picks them up cheap, gives them the chance to impress at this level, and cash in when the opportunity to play full time comes along. That's the 'sustainable' the club should be going for. Not paying big wages, and hoping the fans will come in big numbers.

Big question for that model though, would Culverhouse accept it?

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 11:18:37 AM »
Exactly Non League......for the first time this season I feel really exasperated, as I saw Mitchell as a great find and a main stay for next season........so goodness knows how IC is currently feeling.
Callan-McF has been the most important find IMO....great central defender at this level and local connections, so hopefully we can hold on to him and the full backs and that at least gives us some platform...really important to have a core of locally based players, so the likes of McCauley, Clunan, Gascoigne, Jones, Richardson, Gash etc could be important going forward.....tho for some of them age is not on their side and there are questions as to whether some are really good enough at this high level.
Maybe the club needs to be tougher in negotiations ? On a crowd of 2000, takings would be 40-50k.... that's for each home game. On that basis £25k for Mitchell, doesn't seem much of a return to me.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 11:54:37 AM »
KES, maybe we all need to wake up.  A couple of years ago we were a 'big fish' at step 3 so could attract better players (for that level) and SC seemed to have the cash to bankroll / financially dope the club to be successful at that level.  I think we may have been able to survive at step 2 building on that model but thanks to a strong start and COVID we find ourselves at step 1 without the players or infrastructure to back that up and thanks again to COVID we look like we will have another crack at it next year.

Questions have to be asked about pre-season recruitment this year and hopefully those involved in the football side are now far more aware of what is required and also what is out there.  I think the model you and NL have suggested is probably sensible, if nothing else it avoids the situation we shell out for a lot of two year deals which we are then saddled with should we end up going down next season, we are already gambling with the long term viability of the club as it is imo.  Realistically we can't compete financially with many in the NL for a variety of reasons (bigger crowds, off field income streams, richer owners) so we will always be prone to losing our players to other clubs so the model then needs to be one of bringing players through and having a core who are less likely to leave through local ties or age, what this furlough period has shown is that there are capable players available on loans from league u23 teams if we have the contacts and will to play them

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2021, 12:25:41 PM »
On a brighter note thought Coleman Babos and Howard look decent players .

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2021, 12:36:41 PM »
Players, as will come and go for a variety of reasons.  We were successful at step 2 down to Ian Culverhouse adding maybe 10% to most if not all players.  Without a doubt we were punching and that was down to Culverhouse improving what we had and it being a tight knit group.

Next season itís a total rebuild job.  The key to all is Ian Culverhouse.   Remember what happened last time we lost him!

I do wonder what next season holds and wonder why IC is not coming out to meet press and indirectly the fans after each game.  His silence is a worry.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • If you can't find God, at least find nature.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2021, 12:46:30 PM »

I do wonder what next season holds and wonder why IC is not coming out to meet press and indirectly the fans after each game.  His silence is a worry.

Careful Mallard. I think the last time IC did an interview with NLP he then left the club!
If you choose to dance to the Devil's tune, don't blame others when your feet burn.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2021, 12:53:20 PM »
As I recall B&G it was in the NLP were we announced he leaving in an exclusive.   Iíd love to hear Ian come out and say he was up for next season rebuild job.   

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2021, 01:05:06 PM »
Many on here are concerned about next season, and understandably so.  If, however, SC and IC can keep the ship afloat, we start next season, (if Covid allows), with big potential.  I base this on the York crowd, and the fact weíll have as big a game as that every fortnight !  If we are doing well, we can pull in some of the BEST crowds in that league, and therefore swell the coffers to a level that will attract better players.  Every reason to be cheerful, IMHO.  I must deliver a Dilly-downer, however, for my honoured fellow scribes....  I didnít rate Kairo Mitchell, and donít think we have reduced the teamís capabilities by selling him !!!!!  Sad we lost Marriott, but we have Southwell, who will thrive with better attack-minded players around him.  I hope we keep Carey and King, but who knows......

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • If you can't find God, at least find nature.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2021, 01:36:21 PM »
I believe that next season, and probably a few after will depend on the intentions of the Chairman and what he sees as his priorities.

Keeping the club at itís current level/chasing the dream of league football, or attempt to claw his Directors loans back.

Due to the considerable cost of one, and the large amount of the other, I really canít see there being any happy medium with this one.
If you choose to dance to the Devil's tune, don't blame others when your feet burn.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2021, 01:57:37 PM »
Many on here are concerned about next season, and understandably so.  If, however, SC and IC can keep the ship afloat, we start next season, (if Covid allows), with big potential.  I base this on the York crowd, and the fact weíll have as big a game as that every fortnight !  If we are doing well, we can pull in some of the BEST crowds in that league, and therefore swell the coffers to a level that will attract better players.  Every reason to be cheerful, IMHO.  I must deliver a Dilly-downer, however, for my honoured fellow scribes....  I didnít rate Kairo Mitchell, and donít think we have reduced the teamís capabilities by selling him !!!!!  Sad we lost Marriott, but we have Southwell, who will thrive with better attack-minded players around him.  I hope we keep Carey and King, but who knows......

Hi Dilly agree re positive notes and     Richards, King and Carey would be great if we could keep all 3.

Game of opinions tho as highlighted by your comments re the forwards......for me we have had the best of Marriott and haven't reduced our forward options much by his going to Eastleigh, particularly as our system has changed and he relied heavily on that, whereas Mitchell was just coming into his own.

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2021, 11:53:36 AM »
Maybe the club needs to be tougher in negotiations ? On a crowd of 2000, takings would be 40-50k.... that's for each home game. On that basis £25k for Mitchell, doesn't seem much of a return to me.

The income would be less than £40k-£50k on 2000 fans, as a % would be young people paying less, season ticket holders where money is in already OAPs etc. Probably looking around more £20k-£25k the income from 2000 fans attending including food/drink. That's relying on a 40%-50% increase in attendance next season from 19-20. A lot of carrying required in the hope that certain home games bring big away followings, and the town turns up too. Because if results are like this season next, it'll be hard to increase the numbers, especially mid week games which is always a challenge.

A £25k sale might not seem big, but at this level it is, especially in current climate. It's money that can go straight towards clearing debts/money reserves, whilst the budget still stays based on projected home crowds. Say you get 4 sales like that across 2 seasons. That's a nice £100k, which for Lynn can't be sniffed at.

Trying to compete with clubs bank rolled beyond their means is a recipe for disaster. Getting Culverhouse to buy into a model like I said, and club staying in National League for 3-4 seasons would be utterly unbelievable, even if the best season is like 18th. One huge caveat of being at this level as we've seen this season, straight in at 4th Qualifying round. One game from a potential money spinner against a big football league club where's quite a few. Potential next season you could get home or away, Sheff Wed/Sunderland/Ipswich/Portsmouth, with quite a few other clubs that would carry good size crowds like Bradford/MK Dons/Plymouth/Swindon/Bolton/Lincoln.

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2021, 12:03:59 PM »
Based on what we have. received for Karo what is your valuation of Sonny Carey as the press seem to be trying hard to sell him.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2021, 12:27:02 PM »
Well it's a game of opinions Non League !  I can see your argument if the situation re Covid doesn't improve for 3/4 seasons, but otherwise a crowd of 2000 has to be a very conservative estimate of what should be achieved, so dissecting the calculation up as you have done makes little sense to me and in any case, it's the principle that I am making that is important......if you genuinely believe that £25k is a significant sum in National League terms, then I think you are way off beam.
If Lynn are going to survive in the NL they have to start thinking like a NL club..........the attendance for example will have to be nearer 3000 average I would suggest, other income streams and sponsorship will need to be increased, there will have to be good use of more local talent, and connections developed, including loan deals. It's a massive shift from what Lynn have been in the past...it won't happen overnight, but it has to happen fairly quickly. SC can't keep pulling financial rabbits out of his own personal hats.......and as for selling two of the best players in successive seasons each for £25k and still staying in the league... that's just fanciful.

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2021, 12:42:51 PM »
Based on what we have. received for Karo what is your valuation of Sonny Carey as the press seem to be trying hard to sell him.

Depends what sort of league club he goes too.

Probably something around £50k (with added clauses such as appearances/goals/promotion totalling X amount), with a home friendly and a sell on %. That's probably still towards high end.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal