Author Topic: Re: The Pitch  (Read 2002 times)

gs50

• View Profile
Re: The Pitch
« on: April 25, 2021, 08:14:44 AM »
The pitch has come in for some criticism from the manager after yesterday's game. States probably worst in the league, have to admit looked hard to control ball yesterday and does not help our game.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 08:45:38 AM »
With all the money that SC has spent on it at the Groundsmanís request, plus so few games being played on it it begs the question has Steve Curtis been furloughed ( partly even)?  If not what has he been doing to allow the pitch to get into this state.  Several times now questions have been raised about the condition of the pitch.

Have to feel for Stephen Cleeve he has put the money asked into the pitch and with the style IC likes to play everyone one at the clubs knows it is imperative that he has a decent surface to play on

wack

• Steve Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 09:30:35 AM »
Biggest worry from this is if IC reacts the same as last time the pltch was critisised.

Blueboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »
Don't know if anyone saw Peterborough United pitch on TV recently, they obviously have full time groundsmen and there's is far worse than ours. I'm sorry but I'm getting fed up with the annual moan about the pitch by the manager. It didn't affect Dagenham yesterday and heard no moans after we beat Altrincham on it a couple of weeks ago.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 12:09:01 PM »
Do you think the condition of the London Road pitch had anything to do with the burst pipe under the ground that went undetected ?

Just saying

Blueboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 12:43:09 PM »
Didn't know about the leak at Peterborough, but whatever the state of the pitch you just have to get on with it. To Stephen Cleeve's credit he has spent thousands on the pitch, there is not much more he can do. I think the manager should air his views in private, unless of course, he has another agenda.......again.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 06:18:41 PM »
Everything has been tried with the pitch. The only solution for a perfect pitch would be a new ground, less prone to flooding and with a grandstand roof that didn't overflow onto the touchline......given that the council couldn't even provide dedicated training facilities, I don't hold out much hope.

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 06:23:12 PM »
Think perhaps it didn't help with the academy trial taking place on the pitch. Have been coming here over 60 years and have never known pitch to last the season. Perhaps new stadium and training facilities away from Walks would be best option.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 08:10:59 PM »
Everything has been tried with the pitch. The only solution for a perfect pitch would be a new ground, less prone to flooding and with a grandstand roof that didn't overflow onto the touchline......given that the council couldn't even provide dedicated training facilities, I don't hold out much hope.

Why would the Council provide them?  :dontknow:

Angle of the North

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 08:16:00 PM »
I don't think a few hours of use by 'youngsters' on mainly dry, sunny evenings would have contributed any part in the current (and arguably) season long condition of the pitch....that has so far been used for some twenty games.

As someone else who watched my first game at The Walks in the early sixties, it is difficult to equate a similar area of grass enabling all first team, reserves and some 'A' team games.... including the Eastern Professional Floodlit League and all Cup competions.

Non League

• View Profile
Re: Re: The Pitch
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 10:09:47 AM »
Lynns pitch is just what it is unfortunately. The amount spent on digging it right down, to properly sort out the drainage/layers etc. It would be a better investment long term just to go 4G. But then if Cleeve has his sights set on football league in next few years, 4G isn't an option.

With the club loan, surely now is the time to look at going down this avenue. Everything will then be able to done at the Walks. All the teams games, first team/reserves/academy training. Local clubs using it for games when not in use, community use as an alternative to Lynn Sport.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 10:32:49 AM »
In fairness the pitch wasnít that great at the start of the season as I recall.  People in the club were not happy with the results after spending a sizeable sum on it. 

I guess either the Groundsman can deliver a pitch that is up to the level that the Manager requires or maybe get someone in who can deliver that.  Failing that if a decent surface is not achievable then the Manager may have to change his MO and play a different type of game. 

Options are there.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 11:09:14 AM »
That pitch will never be great for more than a few months at the start of a season

The long term aim should be to move away and have combined training facilities on the same site.... however that then makes all the recent investment in the ground a huge waste, so I can't see SC favouring that...plus we now have a huge loan tied into aspects of it. I have never been a fan of 4g....bit of a conundrum.....this pitch problem has been an issue for years..........I remember a move away from The Walks being discussed by some following the club going belly up.....but at the time the Council made what I considered to be some very comfortable and not forward thinking decisions and as a consequence nothing of any note changed........no surprise there then .

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Assume nothing, question everything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 06:18:36 PM »
That pitch will never be great for more than a few months at the start of a season

Silk purse/pigs ear.
"We're going to need a bigger boat".

wixy

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 11:44:11 AM »
I am disapointed that IC has had his yearly rant about the pitch. This is an internal matter as we cant help him, only the club can. I must say I have watched every streamed match and I thought the pitch looked pretty good Ian should cast his mind back to when he first arrived, then he could complain. As for Saturdays game it was one of those where several players were off their game at the same time. Considering the players we have got we are doing very well and am looking forward to next season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal