Author Topic: V Stockport  (Read 2424 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Those that stand for nothing, fall for anything.
    • View Profile
V Stockport
« on: April 27, 2021, 09:14:04 AM »
High flying Stockport County make their first visit league to The Walks on Tuesday (19.00) looking to complete a league double that saw Lynn defeated 4-0 at Edgeley Park two weeks ago.
Fourth placed Stockport, unbeaten in eleven games and having won the last three on their travels, must be favourites for the points although the Linnets have been known to get some unexpected results this season.

Against the top three teams in the division Lynn have managed two points from the six games, as have Stockport, although the Hatters have yet to entertain Torquay United.
On Saturday John Rooney's 20 yard curling shot saw him score his 16th goal of the season as the Hatters defeated Boreham Wood 3-0.
With 0.80 goals conceded per game, Stockport have the best defence in the division.

Lynn have fitness doubts over Kyle Callan-McFadden and Cameron King, both unable to complete the game on Saturday while Elkan Baggot might have availability problems with parent club Ipswich Town in FA Youth Cup action against Sheffield United on Friday.

Live commentary: BBC Radio Norfolk

Streaming details (£12): https://streaming.insightfour.com/stream/WnlsSE53
.....when the teeth are ok, but the gums gotta go.

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: V Stockport
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 02:01:16 PM »
Not sure if we are able to get anyone else in on loan now to provide a bit of cover at centre half.  Keep seeing FBT's name being mentioned as not figuring in Peterborough's match day squad so might be good for him to have half a dozen games as I would think he is still capable of picking up an EFL contract somewhere next season.

There is also a worrying report in the EDP about Coleman having to finish after Saturday as his current contract with Brackley is up at the end of the month so that when his loan spell has to end, don't know if this would also hit Alfie Payne (I think Jackson was 'released' from his contract so isn't technically here 'on loan').  Assume the likes of Howard and Babos have contracts to the end of June with their (EFL) parent clubs
https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/ethan-coleman-kings-lynn-town-future-7922740

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 02:27:10 PM »
With regards to Coleman how I read it was as his contract finished 01/05 would we be prepared to pay his wages. Would have thought he was worth holding on to.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 11:00:12 AM »
Last couple of performances and results a real concern for me....very quickly 3 or 4 down, yet playing with most of the same defence as previous games when we looked solid.........only  real  diff is that King hasn't been fit...but the defence has to be able to stand up on it's own, without being relieved by attacking midfielders, otherwise we are back to the situation of early season thrashings and in big trouble for next season

Nigel nigle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 11:52:48 AM »
It is hard to watch I must admit but these guys are not training together, have nothing to play for but some pride and probably are not giving that extra 10%, two relative youngsters in the back line last night. It has got to be hard for everybody and after the euphoria of the last two years this is a damp squib but the over riding factor has got to be conserving cash as much as possible.

Biggest highlight last night was Richardson's penalty save - I just hope we can get down to the Walks for the last game of the season - they are still not sure how many can get in.

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 11:56:00 AM »
If this is being used as a trial for players, then sack vast majority of them off. It's literally night and day to what the team was like at start of season, both in terms of quality and actual desire.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 01:11:55 PM »
Sorry NL but we are going have to agree to disagree.  Much as the past couple of performances haven't been great (I didn't see the Dagenham game but did get reports), there were signs prior to that that we were actually trying to get back to something resembling an IC team, not something that could be said of more than a few short spells in any game prior to furloughing kicking in.  Also be careful to compare like with like - it would seem that the current crop only meet up on match days whereas their semi full time counterparts from the start of the season were training regularly during the week. 

I am not saying all of the current players should be signed up for next season but given the circumstances they have been thrown together and what they also have around them is probably not the ideal situation to 'trial' players.  Maybe what we can agree on is that the squad (both furloughed and current) needs a major overhaul in the summer if were are going to be anywhere near mid-table safety next season.  There was a brief comment by SC last night about how late the current season finishes and when the next starts not leaving much time for planning which didn't really inspire much confidence as it might be hoped that planning for next season was already well underway.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 03:34:28 PM »
This isnít a team IC would sign itís a team he has to go with to limp to the end of the season.   He said he is just ticking the games off.  I would suggest IC canít wait to the season to end.

Then I can see a total rebuilt job in the summer.  Subject to budget.  Then again with the loan money and SC budgeting for gates of around 2,000 average ( subject to any restrictions).  So the Chairman could well be giving IC a very workable budget to kick start the season. 

Nigel1505

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 03:50:41 PM »
Agree totally Mallard. I would hope our gates next season average  higher than 2000 with some of the teams we will be up against. We'll see.

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 04:14:25 PM »
Sorry NL but we are going have to agree to disagree.  Much as the past couple of performances haven't been great (I didn't see the Dagenham game but did get reports), there were signs prior to that that we were actually trying to get back to something resembling an IC team, not something that could be said of more than a few short spells in any game prior to furloughing kicking in.  Also be careful to compare like with like - it would seem that the current crop only meet up on match days whereas their semi full time counterparts from the start of the season were training regularly during the week. 

I am not saying all of the current players should be signed up for next season but given the circumstances they have been thrown together and what they also have around them is probably not the ideal situation to 'trial' players.  Maybe what we can agree on is that the squad (both furloughed and current) needs a major overhaul in the summer if were are going to be anywhere near mid-table safety next season.  There was a brief comment by SC last night about how late the current season finishes and when the next starts not leaving much time for planning which didn't really inspire much confidence as it might be hoped that planning for next season was already well underway.

Going forward it's still been good at times, but defensively it's getting worse and it's the sheer basic stuff that's alarming.

Take the starting squad from last night: Richardson, Callan-McFadden, Clunan, Gash, Gyasi, Fleming, Kiwomya, Carey, Denton, Coleman, Howard.

Only McFaddan and Carey I'd want to be lining up in a staring XI come August 14th. Gyasi/Clunan/Gash/Fleming happily to have in the squad. Rest haven't shown anything to me, or even be players that can be justified to tie down on reasonable money for the whole season.

Club come up last year with myself thinking just a couple of players will need adding to be competitive at this level, and make a good showing. Staying up, before then looking at changing things further. This summer, IMO the work required just to get to the level of standard seen at the start of this season, is huge. Wouldn't blame IC if he felt it was a bit of a lost cause.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 04:59:14 PM »
Lost cause before any signings are made in the summer ?  Come on surely not.    If SC can find IC a competitive budget I have every confidence that the Manager can put together a competitive side for this level.    With no relegation I am sure IC will take full advantage of this season to work at what the requirements are for this standard.

This season is a total write off in terms of playing games and what is achievable.  Letís see what August and September bring.   IC has put the Club on the map ( in Non League Football terms) with his back to back promotions.   Now itís over to Stephen Cleeve to provide what is is needed to stay at this level.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Those that stand for nothing, fall for anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 05:06:20 PM »
Its ok to talk about building the team for next season, but isn't having a pitch that will allow Culverhouse to play the football he wants to play, just as important?

I would guess having a decent pitch (or not) could well be a consideration when signing certain types of players.
.....when the teeth are ok, but the gums gotta go.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 05:14:27 PM »
Iím sure IC will want sort of assurances on the pitch before going into the market.   Everyone has to sing from the same hymn sheet, otherwise itís not only a pointless exercise but an expensive one into the bargain.

First up has to be wing backs who can get forward to collect those overhit crosses.  Or better still wide players who can put a cross on a sixpence ( for those that can remember those).  :laughcry:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 05:29:32 PM »
Its ok to talk about building the team for next season, but isn't having a pitch that will allow Culverhouse to play the football he wants to play, just as important?

I would guess having a decent pitch (or not) could well be a consideration when signing certain types of players.

Having a pitch that is as good as IC would like for the whole season just isn't achievable B & G. We have seen the pitch looking superb in August, but an uneven mud heap by Christmas. Maybe IC will have to plan for having a decent pitch for the first 3 months and last month of the season, when he plays the  style of football at home that he would like. Most away fixtures should not be a problem, so that just leaves 3/4 months of home fixtures ie 10 or so matches out of 40 where he will need a contingency plan and some squad players to cope with it.
This all goes hand in hand with where the club presently sits..ie not full time, not established at NL level, without the necessary income streams, training facilities,NL standard stadiumetc etc. At least most other sides will have terrific pitches.....having 75% of the league matches on a good surface is a significant improvement on the NLN.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 05:41:22 PM »
The Groundsman has a better chance than ever before KES.  No Reserve team to use it so could be just first team games for him to cope with.   That should at least give him a fighting chance with all the money that has been spent on it

I seem to recall Steve Curtis said that Stephen Cleeve had refused him nothing.  So he should be delivering a reasonable surface.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal