Author Topic: Cambridge City away  (Read 4390 times)

robbo84

• View Profile
Cambridge City away
« on: April 20, 2016, 10:38:08 AM »
Our final away game of the season takes us to St. Ives for a second attempt to play Cambridge City tonight.

Can't help feeling the 'derby feel' of this fixture is somewhat muted through a combination of the game being a dead rubber and City playing in exile from Cambridge at the moment.

Hopefully we can turn out in numbers for the final two games of the season and show our players a last deserved round of support. Two wins from our final two games will ensure our best finish at Step 3 since we returned (11th with 68 points in 2013/14).

I'm going to miss it all after 5pm on Saturday.

Linnet1947

• View Profile
Re: Cambridge City away
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:52:46 AM »
Let's hope we can finish on a high.
This season has been an improvement on last season.
We could have done better, but our league is a tough one to get out of,
when you consider that most of the teams involved in this seasons promotion/ playoffs,
had the experience of being in the same situation last season.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 11:17:05 AM »
If we stay in this league I don't think we have anything to fear next season.

If the bulk of the squad is kept together with only a handful of additions then we should hopefully be in a decent position to hit the ground running next season. This season we were always playing catch up after too many inconsistencies in the first two to three months.

Personally I think a finish of 9th-10th is about right both in the context of our season but also the longer term plans for the development of this squad. It was nice to flirt with the play-off places, albeit briefly.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 12:12:34 PM »
I just want to see 100% from everyone - the least we should be able to expect?!!

Sthlincs linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 05:31:35 PM »
Anyone travelling via Peterborough tonight beware

Very serious crash has shut part of A16 in Peterborough - police urge motorists to avoid area - long delays on... fb.me/3jl0FRAFv

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:33:51 PM »
Great win tonight only one game
Left this season looking back it's not been a
Bad season hope we can keep this squad together including John Sands and we could do really well next season

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 11:30:26 PM »
Awful evening for travel all round!

On the worst pitch I've seen for some considerable time, it was all about battling tonight, and we did it.

The luck in front of goal we have lacked of late came tonight. Sands latched on to a defensive error to put us ahead, before Smith's right wing cross bounced off Stevo and in to the net for 2-0. City did pull one back but Stevo's low drilled free kick from 20 yards just before half time put us two goals ahead again.

Second half was very scrappy but the condition of the pitch had a lot to do with that. Both teams traded chances but we never really looked in any danger. A very good three points to round off the season on the road.

9th place is all but secured with that result, only Dunstable can catch us but only if we lose on Saturday and they win both their remaining games.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 01:43:41 PM »
Match reports:

Our perspective:
http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/cambridge_city_1_king_s_lynn_town_3_away_win_secures_top_10_finish_for_the_linnets_1_4503340

And theirs:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Sloppy-defencing-costs-Cambridge-City-defeat-home/story-29150008-detail/story.html

Personally I disagree with Roberts and think we were good value for the win. We could have easily added more goals ourselves in the second half.

There would have been a lot more football played on a decent pitch though, that's for sure!

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »
I know it was a midweek game at the end of the season,but attendance 135?
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 03:38:20 PM »
Couple of big factors I think Grissles.

The biggest was the A14 being closed due to a serious accident between Cambridge and St. Ives. My journey up took twice as long as it should have done as I was caught in all the diverted traffic.

The other big factor is City's run-in. They played at home on Monday, last night, play at home again on Saturday against Poole, then Tuesday night for a re-arranged game with Stratford. That's £40 in just over a week, plus the travel expenses from Cambridge (there is also no public transport to get fans home after evening games).

I would have considered this a derby, but being our first trip away to City for 14 years I would imagine there are a younger generation of supporters that don't realise the history of the fixture.
30-40 of that gate were Lynn fans.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 05:19:10 PM »
I heard a comment between City fans and a Steward that they are still at St Ives for next season. That pitch is awful and should not be allowed to be played on for Step 3 level games.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 12:43:59 AM »
How the ground as a whole passed Southern Premier grading is beyond me. They must have been treated shockingly bad by Histon to want to move from there.

Nigel nigle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 08:56:38 AM »
and St Ives are in the play offs possibly to come up to the Southern Premier!