Author Topic: Squad for next season  (Read 6315 times)

KES80

Re: Squad for next season
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2021, 09:20:21 PM »
Think we all agree on the keeper.
Agree with your stance re Carey Dilly...hope it can work.

Personally think Marriott has had his time........with the numbers of players available now, think Lynn can find better.
CN a possibility I reckon, but FBT unlikely to come down 2 leagues.

Hoping King can get fit....if not def need a similar player

Know you are a fan of Fox... personally don't think he is strong enough defensively

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 11:41:54 AM »
I respect your opinion, KES, but I think Fox was good defensively !  I only recall one wide player getting the better of him all season in the NL, and that was the little Chester winger who managed to give him a torrid time.  Fox was also very good going forward, IMHO.  I hope you’re right that we can do better than Marriott, but think that would take some doing.  Let’s just hope IC has the contacts, and the money, to make us competitive next season.  If he can, it will really give us something to look forward to.

Anton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 12:55:30 PM »
Not going to be easy for next season either.  Other clubs will be looking to strengthen their team too and the clubs that have the biggest budget usually will get the best players available.  so you have to offer more than just large amounts of money to attract new players of a higher standard.  You have to sell the club to players with your ambitions, what you are planning for the future, your goals and so on.  Hopefully potential new players will see an opportunity playing for King's Lynn football club.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 01:21:51 PM »
With the rumoured 2,000 pro players being released at the end of this season it should make it very much a ‘Clubs’ market rather than players driving it.    Tighter squads in Football should be the order of the day.   With the uncertainty seemingly likely to continue into next season it’s has added importance thats clubs don’t stretch themselves.

There was all this talk last season of Clubs going out of business.  It’s seems most of not all have survived.   This coming season with no Gov hand out, available loans and no furlough scheme owners need to be very careful how they run their clubs.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2021, 02:20:49 PM »
More weight to the 'reset' button being pressed and player wages coming back to some sort of normality, although for how long is anyone's guess
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/why-player-wages-have-halved-as-portsmouth-and-football-adjust-to-post-covid-financial-challenges-3241536

Also saw that Southend have taken up an option on Howard's contract so you could argue that his stay with us was a win-win - we got a much needed player and he proved he could hold his own at this level which is where Southend find themselves next season

Dilly, I think Carey has shown he is more than ready for a step up so don't think we should be standing in his way however big a hole it will leave.  Masssive off-season coming up for the recruitment team, I just hope they make the (multiple) changes necessary and don't stick with too much of what we have, also note in the article about about many one-year deals being offered, whilst it might not help in terms of potential transfer fees we have now been burnt a number of times with offering multi year deals to unproven players

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2021, 02:32:53 PM »
For clubs, lower wages and 1 year deals seems the sensible way forward.  There is no guarantee of anything other than limited crowd numbers being allowed into grounds next season.   

Caution has to be the order of the day.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2021, 08:38:58 PM »
Greg Plummers Lynn News article today:

King's Lynn Town prepare for a summer of rebuilding in the National League

Robbie Back is bracing himself for a busy summer of activity as King’s Lynn Town start to rebuild for next season’s National League campaign.

Manager Ian Culverhouse is planning an overhaul of his squad in the summer and Back – the club’s director of football – and Dale Stokes are assisting him with his recruitment drive.

Back refused to reveal how many potential targets the club are looking at but The Walks outfit hope to be in a position to name a couple of new arrivals in the next week.

“We’ve got a big rebuilding job on our hands and everybody knows that.

Ian, Dale and myself have been working extra hard in the last two or three weeks planning for next season and talking to a number of players.

There are a number of targets who Ian has identified and we are working hard to try to bring some of those in.

It’s been a very difficult season for so many reasons but luckily we’ve already been able to look at some of the players who we’ve had in on loan because of the situation we have found ourselves in.

It’s not just a case of going out any signing any old player either. We’ve had such a good team spirit in the dressing room the last few seasons and that’s something that we don’t want to lose.

The players have got to fit in with the group who we have already got. They’ve also got to be comfortable on the ball".

Back revealed that trying to sign players is a completely different ball game now that Lynn are in non league’s top flight.

“It’s not a case of speaking to a player one day, then signing him the next,” said Back.

“The majority of players at this level now come with a agent so you are dealing with two parties rather than just the one, it is so much more time consuming.”

Tomorrow, the Linnets travel to Wrexham for their final away fixture of what can only be described as a turbulent and testing campaign for everyone involved with the club.

Next week, Lynn host Solihull Moors (Tuesday) and Aldershot (Saturday) as they finally welcome fans back to The Walks.

“We can’t wait to have the fans back here and we’re really looking forward to our last two games,” said Back.

“They are such a massive part of any football club and we’ve missed their support. Had they been allowed in all season, I don’t think we’d find ourselves where we are in the table now.”

I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2021, 08:57:53 PM »
Sounds like recruitment is well under way.  Be interesting to see who the first one or two in are.   Will set the stall out for what the fans can expect to see next season.   

Good to get an early signing in.  Helps with season ticket sales.

KES80

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2021, 11:05:39 AM »
......and the first one in is........Ethan Coleman !

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2021, 11:27:40 AM »
Let's hope he is.

KES80

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2021, 12:19:01 PM »
It's been confirmed gs a couple of hrs ago...on club twitter feed and on home page of B and G website

KES80

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2021, 06:03:35 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing what IC does with the defence. To my way of thinking only Callan McFadden of the centre halves, is of NL standard, tho Fleming may be one for the future. I know that might seem harsh against one or two that have been brilliant for Lynn in the past, but football is a harsh game  and this league finds out any weakness in a team on a regular basis. Really not sure who IC will go for in regards to full backs, either.

I think everyone accepts it will be a huge rebuilding exercise......so far in my book only 3 certainties,if Carey stays...........C-McF, Coleman, Carey.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2021, 10:28:04 AM »
Masssive off-season coming up for the recruitment team, I just hope they make the (multiple) changes necessary and don't stick with too much of what we have, also note in the article about about many one-year deals being offered, whilst it might not help in terms of potential transfer fees we have now been burnt a number of times with offering multi year deals to unproven players

Looks as if they are sticking to the two year deal format for Coleman.
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2021, 01:50:51 PM »
Pleased to see Coleman signed as he didn't really look out of place at this level in a patched together side, so can only expect more when he (hopefully) has better players around him next year.  Still don't understand what the club are thinking giving two year deals but no doubt they have their reasons, just feel we always seem to have a few players retained in the squad (and on the payroll) that the manager won't select but can't be moved on at the end of a season.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2021, 03:32:22 PM »
Maybe it was a trade off.   With players expectations seemingly much lower ( SC mentioned players available at £400 a week). Maybe players are accepting less money but asking for a longer contract.   Win win.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal