Author Topic: Retained and Departed Players  (Read 9189 times)

KES80

Re: Retained and Departed Players
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2021, 12:39:07 PM »
One that won't be rejoining Lynn:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57532440

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2021, 12:39:19 PM »
When does the squad return for pre-season.  Plenty of runs along the beach to kick off with?

Maybe IC will be chucking in a good few trialists in the opening couple of Friendlies.  I guess the likes of Norwich and MK will come and play a different 11 in each half.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

KES80

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2021, 12:51:36 PM »
Maybe too many pebbles on that beach :laughcry:, Sunny Hunny an option tho

KES80

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2021, 01:46:19 PM »
Just looking round the clubs, seems most are in the same boat Dilly... little major transfer action so far......Weymouth have added a couple of  youngsters, Eastleigh have kept their keeper, little activity from Barnet, Wealdstone etc

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2021, 04:29:11 PM »
I see after being knockout of the play-offs, Chesterfield have released 13 players.   Leaving them with just 20 players on contract.   Madness for non League football, but that’s the World Kings Lynn are competing in.

KES80

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2021, 05:09:56 PM »
To me Chesterfield just seemed to build a team by taking the best players from other sides....the manager left Gloucester saying he would only take one player, but then went back for more, played Weymouth, liked Whelan so had him, liked Mitchell at Lynn, took him just before they played at The Walks etc etc. They then had long term injuries to Denton and Asante which affected their season end.

I know it's a ruthless, dog eat dog league dominated in more ways than one, by the wealthy clubs, but I am not a fan of sides that spend absurd amounts and effectively buy their way up the leagues, like Salford  IMO seemed to, ..... . so refreshing that Harrogate and Sutton have done well.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2021, 06:04:03 PM »

I know it's a ruthless, dog eat dog league dominated in more ways than one, by the wealthy clubs, but I am not a fan of sides that spend absurd amounts and effectively buy their way up the leagues...

Agree with you Kes, although I don't mind the clubs spending big if the money has come from what the Club has generated themselves. That way, they will naturally find their own level.

Sooner or later the Clubs that buy their way up the league, run out of steam. Usually big fish in little ponds to start off with, but within a couple of seasons they become small fish in a bigger pond.

Even if the amount of money being put into these Clubs each season remains the same, it will be insufficient to maintain the momentum the Clubs have had in previous seasons.

This can then lead to the floating supporters losing interest, so gates fall. The Benefactor (s) issues the "use it or lose it" warning, loses interest when the Supporters don't respond and the penny finally drops (or runs out of money themselves), and the Club is then on the slippery slope.

Clubs are hungry beasts. Once they have been fed, you can't just stop feeding them without experiencing an adverse reaction.

I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

KES80

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2021, 06:17:37 PM »
Yes agreed.

I know caps on salaries are out of favour.

I would like to see a rule whereby if a player signs for a club during or at the very start of a season, he then has to remain with that club till at least the end of that season

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2021, 07:08:19 PM »

I know it's a ruthless, dog eat dog league dominated in more ways than one, by the wealthy clubs, but I am not a fan of sides that spend absurd amounts and effectively buy their way up the leagues...

Agree with you Kes, although I don't mind the clubs spending big if the money has come from what the Club has generated themselves. That way, they will naturally find their own level.

Sooner or later the Clubs that buy their way up the league, run out of steam. Usually big fish in little ponds to start off with, but within a couple of seasons they become small fish in a bigger pond.

Even if the amount of money being put into these Clubs each season remains the same, it will be insufficient to maintain the momentum the Clubs have had in previous seasons.

This can then lead to the floating supporters losing interest, so gates fall. The Benefactor (s) issues the "use it or lose it" warning, loses interest when the Supporters don't respond and the penny finally drops (or runs out of money themselves), and the Club is then on the slippery slope.

Clubs are hungry beasts. Once they have been fed, you can't just stop feeding them without experiencing an adverse reaction.

:oldman" :farmer: I have to agree with you guys, but this happens in all the leagues from premier down. Chelsea and Man City were 2nd division sides who flouted with odd spells in the top flight of football when I was a child, now they are massively benefactor funded clubs, buying trophies for the cabinet. Closer too home Histon, St. Neots, AFC Hornchurch all had money too burn at one point but then the bubble burst. Hornchurch are now rebuilding again but will they have as much money as before?  Blackburn won the premier league with Jack Walker’s money, where are they now ? at a level more suited too them, I would say. As you say, self funded clubs are no issue for me either, but just buying trophies to me takes away some of the joy and pain that football meant to me as a child. :farmer: :oldman"

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2021, 07:15:11 PM »

:oldman" :farmer: I have to agree with you guys, but this happens in all the leagues from premier down. Chelsea and Man City were 2nd division sides who flouted with odd spells in the top flight of football when I was a child, now they are massively benefactor funded clubs, buying trophies for the cabinet. Closer too home Histon, St. Neots, AFC Hornchurch all had money too burn at one point but then the bubble burst. Hornchurch are now rebuilding again but will they have as much money as before?  Blackburn won the premier league with Jack Walker’s money, where are they now ? at a level more suited too them, I would say. As you say, self funded clubs are no issue for me either, but just buying trophies to me takes away some of the joy and pain that football meant to me as a child. :farmer: :oldman"

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I did mean to include that it happens at all levels, in my original post.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2021, 07:38:12 PM »
Dazza surely we have to thank Stephen Cleeve and his deep pockets for getting us to the pinnacle of Non League Football.    So let’s be careful what we wish for.   Without his input and financing we could well still have been at Step 3

I see recall he has put in somewhere around 150k a year.   A real drop in the ocean compared to the likes of Man City and Chelsea, but he still put it in.

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2021, 09:17:37 AM »
Dazza surely we have to thank Stephen Cleeve and his deep pockets for getting us to the pinnacle of Non League Football.    So let’s be careful what we wish for.   Without his input and financing we could well still have been at Step 3

I see recall he has put in somewhere around 150k a year.   A real drop in the ocean compared to the likes of Man City and Chelsea, but he still put it in.

Agreed Mall, but in each season we have been promoted since the UCL,there have been bigger, better supported and better financed clubs than ourselves. York City and Chester City are the first two I can think of at this moment for example.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2021, 09:53:10 AM »
When we went up from step 5, we were the biggest team in The UCL.   Let’s not forget we only gained promotion because Long Buckby ( League winners) declined promotion.  Then we were a top team at step 4 when we pipped Coalville, who blew up at the end of the season.

Promotion from step 3 came via the Play-offs when IC came back to the club, so we had the gods shinning on us at the end of the season ( coupled together with SC’s financing).  Then in NLN we went up on PPG, after the season was pulled just  as we were on a poor run of form. 

Stephen Cleeve has supported all of these promotions so let’s not think it was done without his financial help.

I’m sure next season he will need to do the same to keep us in The National League.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2021, 10:59:46 AM »
I wonder if there are any plans in place to make the Club self sufficient.  :dontknow:

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2021, 07:29:37 PM »
Some on here are pointing out that money buys progress, and many clubs use it, then subsequently lose it.  My point is more about football than about the cash angle, though I realise the link.  I believe every team does a “Chesterfield”, all the time.  All teams are formed by taking on players who didn’t quite make it in a bigger and more talented team, plus nicking the best players from below.  It describes the whole system since it started at the turn of the 20th century.  Stephen Cleeve is the first one whose generosity has enabled us to make any real progress within that system.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal