Author Topic: u21/RESSIES  (Read 6735 times)

Gordon Chilvers

• View Profile
u21/RESSIES
« on: June 08, 2021, 08:36:27 PM »
Been very reliably informed that the U21/Ressies has had the plug pulled on them. So whats the good of telling all these youngsters to join the academy if you want to play for KLTFC. What chance is there of being elevated straight into the 1st team directly from say the U19s? Surely if a player is that good he will be scouted by someone far bigger than Kings Lynn.
Sad day, the last time this happened i believe was under the Gary Mills leadership.
On thge plus side the teams such as Fakenham, Swaffham, Downham etc will surely benefit from this folly.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
Re: u21/RESSIES
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 09:22:02 PM »
Be interesting to hear the official line on this one.

I wonder if something has got lost in translation. :dontknow:

Previous rumours were that they were not joining a league, but just playing other Academy teams.

I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

Beardsmore80

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 09:26:38 PM »
Based on what you’ve just said I personally can’t see how removing a team playing at Step 6 is going to influence anyone’s decision on signing up to the Academy? My kids went and it wouldn’t affect my choice of whether to do it or not. Of course I do understand what you’re saying about their being no bridge between 19s and First Team, but before everyone starts getting negative, we don’t actually know what’s being discussed behind closed doors. Can’t imagine it would be done without a plan in place. 

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 09:27:36 PM »
Nothing in the Thurlow Nunn League website about this.

Stephen Cleeve has been a big advocate of having a successful Youth set up at the club with a clear path to the first team.   So cannot believe the rug would be pulled on having a team in the ECL, step 6 Football
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 09:35:09 PM »
Beardsmore you seem to be speaking as someone very close to the Youth set up so surely you would have been consulted and asked for your opinion ?

Which is ......, scrap it or go with it ?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 09:35:37 PM »
More money bring switched to the first team budget?  :dontknow:

I suppose they are the Clubs shop window, and the Club has appeared as a one team club for quite a while now (imho).

What next though? Presumably the Academy earns the Club a lot of money. While that continues, I guess they're safe.

Beardsmore80

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 09:40:22 PM »
Beardsmore you seem to be speaking as someone very close to the Youth set up so surely you would have been consulted and asked for your opinion ?

Which is ......, scrap it or go with it ?

I went to the trials back in April/May whenever it was. So would obviously understand concerns, but it really wouldn’t influence whether I signed mine up or not. It’s all opinions though i guess, some may have the complete opposite view. I’d imagine if we looked into it, not many clubs at this level have a team playing at that step in the ladder? But could be wrong

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 09:41:38 PM »
That’s somewhat blinkered B&G.   Surely if you have decent talent coming through you want to reap the benefit not see players leaving to join other clubs who can help their development by playing senior men’s football. 

The likes of Norwich ( and many pro clubs) send academy players out on loan to gain. Experience of playing in competitive games rather that the less physical type of game they become accustomed to in age group Football.

Ap

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 10:27:15 PM »
Been very reliably informed that the U21/Ressies has had the plug pulled on them. So whats the good of telling all these youngsters to join the academy if you want to play for KLTFC. What chance is there of being elevated straight into the 1st team directly from say the U19s? Surely if a player is that good he will be scouted by someone far bigger than Kings Lynn.
Sad day, the last time this happened i believe was under the Gary Mills leadership.
On thge plus side the teams such as Fakenham, Swaffham, Downham etc will surely benefit from this folly.

Pretty sure it was during the Peter Morris era that the club decided to run without a reserve side. A reserve team had returned during Gary Mills' tenure, playing in the UCL reserve divisions, with Paul Ramsey in a player-coach role I believe.

https://fchd.info/KINGSL2.HTM

KES80

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 10:31:24 PM »
Think we just need to wait and see what the official line is, but personally as I have said before on here, I see little point in having a ressie/u21 side in the Thurlow Nunn.......the gap is way too big from there to NL. So to me , having the Academy playing other Academies and scrapping entry in the Thurlow Nunn makes perfect sense.

Beardsmore80

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 10:39:00 PM »
Think we just need to wait and see what the official line is, but personally as I have said before on here, I see little point in having a ressie/u21 side in the Thurlow Nunn.......the gap is way too big from there to NL. So to me , having the Academy playing other Academies and scrapping entry in the Thurlow Nunn makes perfect sense.

Completely agree with this re the size of the gap. As sad as it is to see it removed, for the bigger picture it’s the right move by the club now they’re operating at NL level.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 11:00:25 PM »

Completely agree with this re the size of the gap. As sad as it is to see it removed, for the bigger picture it’s the right move by the club now they’re operating at NL level.

Are you saying the rumour is true?  :dontknow:

Beardsmore80

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 11:09:07 PM »

Are you saying the rumour is true?  :dontknow:

If Mr Chilvers sources are as reliable as he mentions, which I’m assuming they must be for him to feel confident enough to post about it. Then the rumour appears to be true. But let’s wait and see! Could all be terrace talk as they say

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 06:21:23 AM »
If, true a very sad day for the Club.

The Reserve team has produced some good players for the Club when in the hands of some excellent coaches like Backie and Keith Rudd etc.  Maybe the current incumbents are not of the required standard ?

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 07:52:11 AM »
Name some players over the years who came through  reserves.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal