Author Topic: u21/RESSIES  (Read 6737 times)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
Re: u21/RESSIES
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2021, 10:29:38 PM »
GS your memory is letting you down.  Andy Hunt played for the Reserves when he joined from his home village of Ashill.   He then started the following season in the first team under Alan Day.   Peter Morris then took him to Kettering for a fee, after only playing a few first team games.

He also had trials at Norwich who turned him down. 
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

Beardsmore80

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2021, 10:48:17 PM »
I don’t really see it as a fair comparison with some of these names being chucked around. The reserves at the point of say Mark and Dom were at Step 5 and the First Team probably Step 3? Not really the same as National League to Thurlow Nunn Division. The gap in levels is a lot bigger these days.
I also don’t think you’ll find many NL clubs who use their Reserves side to be part of the community? In my opinion if the Reserves side is of no benefit to the First Team, then explore other options. Which seems to be what’s happening here.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2021, 08:38:58 AM »
I also don’t think you’ll find many NL clubs who use their Reserves side to be part of the community?

Really? That's a shame then.

At Lynn there has always been a lot of local players representing Reserves. Therefore I would suggest that was at least part of the Club being part of the Community.

You probably weren't around when Chapman tried to get rid of Reseves team, or to see how local people and sponsors rallied around to ensure reserve football survived.
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2021, 08:53:42 AM »
Buster was clever enough not to go against public opinion.   That’s why he is the top Sports Promoter in the area.

Most clubs seem to run with an U21 side for players to step up from the Academy.  Is that vital step about to be put in place at Lynn ?.   If the gap is too big between Step 6 and step 1 then surely the same will apply to the step between the Academy and Step 1?

Beardsmore80

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2021, 11:21:04 AM »
I also don’t think you’ll find many NL clubs who use their Reserves side to be part of the community?

Really? That's a shame then.

At Lynn there has always been a lot of local players representing Reserves. Therefore I would suggest that was at least part of the Club being part of the Community.

You probably weren't around when Chapman tried to get rid of Reseves team, or to see how local people and sponsors rallied around to ensure reserve football survived.

What I mean is I doubt many NL teams are thinking “well we better have a reserve side to keep the community happy”. Can’t imagine that’s at the forefront of their thought process. It’s what’s best for the club at the end of the day and If this is the way forward for them then let’s see how it goes.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2021, 12:12:08 PM »
What I mean is I doubt many NL teams are thinking “well we better have a reserve side to keep the community happy”. Can’t imagine that’s at the forefront of their thought process.

I'm sure your 100% correct on that one. That's nothing to be proud of though.

It’s what’s best for the club at the end of the day and If this is the way forward for them then let’s see how it goes.

Maybe. I guess that must be the Owners thinking and personal opinion behind this decision. Desperate times call for desperate measures and all that. Short term thinking as far as I'm concerned though.

Also, its not just a case of players coming through to first team. The Academy is partly living off of the Reserves history. Some of the senior figures involved with the Academy had lengthy and successful years with Reserves which the Academy will now benefit from. Where are the future likes of Stuart going to come from now?   :dontknow:

Reserves were full of local players. The Walks Stadium is a local asset which the Clubs gets at a Peppercorn rent. I bet the other NL Clubs that you mention look on in envy at the low costs that Lynn have compared to them when it comes to Stadium costs. Would the Academy even exist if the Club had to pay full market rate (maybe even the Club  :dontknow: ) For this reason alone, the Club should support local players and have a proper Reserves team.

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2021, 12:30:38 PM »
Thought one of main reasons for not having reserve side was there is no where for them to play.

Beardsmore80

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2021, 01:12:34 PM »
What I mean is I doubt many NL teams are thinking “well we better have a reserve side to keep the community happy”. Can’t imagine that’s at the forefront of their thought process.

I'm sure your 100% correct on that one. That's nothing to be proud of though.

It’s what’s best for the club at the end of the day and If this is the way forward for them then let’s see how it goes.

Maybe. I guess that must be the Owners thinking and personal opinion behind this decision. Desperate times call for desperate measures and all that. Short term thinking as far as I'm concerned though.

Also, its not just a case of players coming through to first team. The Academy is partly living off of the Reserves history. Some of the senior figures involved with the Academy had lengthy and successful years with Reserves which the Academy will now benefit from. Where are the future likes of Stuart going to come from now?   :dontknow:

Reserves were full of local players. The Walks Stadium is a local asset which the Clubs gets at a Peppercorn rent. I bet the other NL Clubs that you mention look on in envy at the low costs that Lynn have compared to them when it comes to Stadium costs. Would the Academy even exist if the Club had to pay full market rate (maybe even the Club  :dontknow: ) For this reason alone, the Club should support local players and have a proper Reserves team.

To be honest I’m sure you’d find 99% of the time a Reserve side is there to support the first team and also to get the experience needed to make the step up. As it stands now, the step  is too big and therefore it doesn’t serve much benefit. Previous years I could fully accept that it was worthwhile. You can’t just run a reserve side for the sole purpose of keeping the community happy.

But anyway as others and myself have said previously, we don’t actually know the longer term plan yet. Just seems to be everyone is instantly negative no matter what happens.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2021, 04:04:50 PM »
Beard I’m sure you understand the sense of loss with something that has very much been part of the Club for many years that involved local
Lads, who were someone’s son, grandson, nephew etc and the sense of pride that brought.

To have it all wiped out in a flick of a pen is I guess upsetting for some.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2021, 08:15:08 PM »
You can’t just run a reserve side for the sole purpose of keeping the community happy.

Nobody claimed you could or should.  :dontknow:

KES80

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2021, 08:46:35 PM »
I completely agree with your posts Beardsmore and am wading in to help as you seem to be being ambushed by my good forum friends Mall and B & G  :laughcry: :laughcry:

Bottom line guys is that holding on to the past and being sentimental won't see the club survive at this level. This is a time for tough choices and the club has just made one which makes excellent sense on a number of levels.

It's obvious that a Thurlow Nunn side is of little use as a feeder to a NL side ....and to keep something going just because it always used to be there is not realistic.

I feel sure that something will arise out if the ashes to still make parents proud of their lads, as Mallard puts it....but there is no good reason for it to be connected with KLTFC any more.

KLTFC can be very much a Community Club without fielding a step 6 reserve side B & G..... it's time to move on and fully embrace where the club now is........some people still haven't caught up IMHO  :laughcry:

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2021, 08:56:03 PM »
KES, of course it’s disappointing to see old traditions being lost along the way.  I make no apologies for wanting to see them survive.  That’s what we were use to. 

So with the new U19 squad that will be developed each year will that gap from that level of games to First team Football not be even greater than it would when we had a Reserve team ?

KES you seem a wise old sage.  Help me out here.  I did ask Beard but he didn’t seem very forthcoming with the ideas for the  way forward in terms of what is deemed successful.

KES80

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2021, 09:25:27 PM »
Hi Mall.......... I think that Academy players, playing against lads from other club's academies has been the way of things in the upper echelons of Non league for some time now.
With Lynn's meteoric rise in the last few seasons, we have all been catapulted into a new field...and naturally it takes time for us to adjust....... however we do have to adjust, if we are to survive and be competitive. I have seen a fair share of Ressies matches at The Walks and can recognise the pain that some feel at losing them, but we have to understand that we are about to move into a completely new, full time era.

Local lads need an outlet, a local team to play for and I suspect something will develop, given how passionately people feel about the need. With the intention of trying to get the first team to play a particular brand of football at NL level, comes the need for a decent playing surface and it seems a tipping point has been reached, where there is too much demand on the precious Walks surface.

It seems unlikely that Lynn will leave The Walks anytime soon, so maybe the local lads who are not part of the Academy need a new venue and a new 'umbrella' to move forward under........I have a feeling that there is sufficient passion around the town, for something to form in the not too distant.

Beardsmore80

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2021, 10:04:45 PM »
KES, of course it’s disappointing to see old traditions being lost along the way.  I make no apologies for wanting to see them survive.  That’s what we were use to. 

So with the new U19 squad that will be developed each year will that gap from that level of games to First team Football not be even greater than it would when we had a Reserve team ?

KES you seem a wise old sage.  Help me out here.  I did ask Beard but he didn’t seem very forthcoming with the ideas for the  way forward in terms of what is deemed successful.

Apologies, wasn’t intentional. What exactly was it that you asked? I’m being lazy instead of finding the post.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2021, 10:35:02 PM »
It seems unlikely that Lynn will leave The Walks anytime soon, so maybe the local lads who are not part of the Academy need a new venue and a new 'umbrella' to move forward under........I have a feeling that there is sufficient passion around the town, for something to form in the not too distant.

A Club creating its own competition?  :dontknow:

That doesn't seem to be a very wise thing to do!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal