Author Topic: New Signing  (Read 7036 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: New Signing
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 05:11:50 PM »
Bird is reportedly 6ft 2 and a bit and 14 stone and is decent in possession. 👍

Good signing.

Do we now need a real shard as a third centre backto cope with all these 6ft 8 centre forwards in the NL or are we ok ?

All indications are that he can 'hold his own' but he is better known as a ball playing centre half.  Personally even with the addition of Bird and the new keeper I would still like to see a 'dominant in the air' centre half to play alongside McFadden and Bird.  Yes, that would limit options further up the field but given that I don't see Jones, Barrows and Denton being strong enough to be part of a back four I think we have to be looking at playing three / five at the back.

KES80

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 05:22:14 PM »
Yes, my feeling too Tony

KES80

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2021, 11:50:55 AM »
Does 4pm on a Wednesday sound like a good time for another signing ?

Just asking  :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 01:14:29 PM »
Three or five at the back ?  What, like last season ?!  Lunks seldom cope with good nipsters !  I hope Bird is a good signing, but am a little concerned that he was frequently farmed out on loan by previous clubs.  Fingers crossed.  On defence, it is very important we have a team that spend a great deal more time in the opponents’ half than last season.  That is defending too.  Good luck to Carey at Blackpool.  I hope he gets a few games at that level.  I recall last season people were suggesting he should go on loan to a club at a lower level, to “learn the game”, whatever that means, but thankfully Dillification won the day.  He was first name on the Dilly team sheet from week one, but I fear he may have moved up a year too soon.  Would love to be proved wrong on that one.  Disappointed Melly went - he would have shone in a good side, but would always struggle in a poor one.  Signings appearing - very encouraging.  One post a week, so apols they’re long !!

KES80

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 01:39:02 PM »
It's more about the personnel Dilly, than the numbers. In some games we will need 3 centre backs, but if they are good with the ball and fleet of foot as well as being tall and strong then that will be great. Bird hopefully fits the bill and is a good age for IC to develop.

Took me a while to realise you were referring to Kelly.

Didn't seem the sort to impose himself enough on a game and really go looking for the ball.....he was playing in the same team as Carey, so I don't think you can use the quality of the squad as an excuse for him not forcing his way into the team every week.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 01:54:48 PM »
Sorry Dilly but we will have to agree to disagree - we played a back for for a lot of games last season and got exposed a lot of the time, admittedly some of that was down to personnel but it looks like some of those players will be back next season so it would be folly to repeat the mistakes of the last campaign. 

In terms of sending players out on loan, I think the main benefit would be to get real match time into younger players, Fleming is a prime example - not a bad player but only had bit parts in the first half of the season when we had injuries and suspensions, far better (in normal times) had he gone out on loan to (say) step 3 and had regular starts.  If he is to stay with the club then that is what I would do with him this year as he didn't do enough for me in the chance he had post-furlough to force his way into a NL match day squad.

As for Kelly, some bright spots in the NLN season but not enough to make him an automatic choice and when IC was chopping and changing the side every game at the start of last season to try and find those capable of playing NL he looked well short of  what was required, maybe another NL side will pick him up and prove you right but to me he was a classic example of why the policy of longer term contracts hasn't worked at Lynn

KES80

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2021, 11:10:13 AM »
Certainly getting the impression that signings are long winded affairs, given presumably the detail in the contract, the agents input and the competition from other clubs.
Hopefully the big striker will be hooked soon. I see Barnet have signed Mason Bloomfield from Hartlepool...a strong 6ft 3 inch, hold up player...not dissimilar to a young Gashy I suspect.
I wonder if he was on IC's radar, as he was previously at Norwich.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2021, 11:49:24 AM »
Morning all !  KES right to spot Melly meant Kelly !  Predictive text - only relieved it didn’t put Smelly, as would have taken some defending !  Once again we disagree, but that’s fine.  I think “big, strong, hold up players” can win games, but not many, unless they have goals in them as well.   They belonged in the W formation, on muddy pitches, in FA Cup “ battles”.  I also believe “strength” is over-rated, as it is nearly always a foul.  I realise people like Robbie Savage say “they need to commit more fouls in midfield”, but it’s rubbish, imho!  And we lost to quick nipsters all last season, often wingers, and hardly ever to big lunk “hold up” Neanderthals.  At least that’s what my eyes showed me - I disregard cliches.  We’re back to “8s, 10s, and 6s again now - 50p says you won’t hear Guardiola following that stuff !

KES80

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2021, 12:50:10 PM »
As you say Dilly, different views. I think the set up will be a solid back four/five, depending on the opposition, with the defenders all being able to play, Coleman as anchor and then the likes of King, Sundire (apologies if that's not the correct spelling) plus one (or two) other , with Morias and a big man up top. That's a pretty balanced side, with a reasonable amount of nipstery, which I think will do ok.

Your view and you are very entitled to it, seems to be to counter a nipster with another one or two nipsters, so your ideal team would have 7/8 nipsters, which personally I feel doesn't work.
IF  the line up in the first paragraph proves successful , please don't suddenly embrace it as dillification , as it isn't me ol chum !  :laughcry:

KES80

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2021, 02:19:34 PM »
Jacob Mensah (6ft defender ex Crystal Palace) has just left Weymouth !

KES80

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2021, 05:21:14 PM »

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2021, 01:36:09 PM »
Anyone see Doku of Belgium last night ?  Now THAT is a nipster.  Sensational.  He was going past the Big Lunks at the back like they’d never played before.  And Insigne, of Italy !  I f I maycontinue on Kes’s incorrect assumption that a Dilly team would have 7 or 8 nipsters, he has ( or rather you have, if you’re reading , KES) misunderstood.  But ironically, the line-up he advocates would have 5 at the back, then a “holder” in front of them.  Including the GK, that’s 7 defenders, and only 4 players who might win a game for us occasionally.  Shades of last season’s hammerings, in the Dillyfied perception !

KES80

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2021, 01:52:21 PM »
Hi Dilly. With the greatest respect , Lynn are not the Belgian national side......they are attempting to gain a foothold in the NL..The line up you highlight is one I would advocate in certain away games......for example take Chesterfield..they have the odd nipster, but have a strong, fast, powerful midfield topped off with Denton (6ft 8) and the powerful Asante upfront.

I am sorry I have misunderstood you ideal team..please itemise where your.nipsters are.

The nipsters in my line up are the 2 wing backs plus King, Nash(Sudire...again apologies if mis spelt) and Morias, with the option of Gyasi from the bench...... that's 5 plus one nipsters.........please show me your.perceived line up !

KES80

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2021, 01:57:13 PM »
Ps What I feel you have misunderstood Dilly was that the hammerings last year, were only partly due to.incorrect formation........they were more down to the personnel either being inexperienced or sadly not quite good enough for this level

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2021, 04:08:51 PM »
Southgate has gone for a horses for courses principle in the Euro’s in terms of both formation and players selected. 

Not done him any harm so far.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal