Author Topic: Squad  (Read 12088 times)

KES80

Re: Squad
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2021, 09:08:00 PM »
Pleased that the Richards and Southwell issue has been resolved......at least we know more or less what we have now. I would expect Brown to be another who will move on.

Midfield : Coleman, King, Sundire plus one (plus Clunan and Gyasi subs)

That still looks a little bare...have I missed anyone ?
Perhaps move Fernandez in there ?

Full backs: Denton, Barrows Jones when fit.  plus one ?

Bluboy

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2021, 09:45:45 PM »
Think Ross could do a good job in mid , personally think clunan may struggle to hold his place when all the ins /outs sorted , like previous post all abit lightweight need a ball winner like Richards was , I trust IC 100% but feel we’ve lost our main core off players who won us matches and we’re now starting a fresh … big gamble !!!

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2021, 10:00:42 AM »
Getting concerned.  I see lists of names and formations of other posters, but it doesn’t look much different to last season.  We have one or two arrivals that I can’t judge yet, plus yet another Redwood Tree of a CH, almost on a daily basis, but, at present, I see a similar side to last season.  A team of mostly defenders and not enough creativity in midfield, or up front, so I suspect we we may again fight many uphill battles, and finally lose 3 or 4 goals ( mostly to nipsters), because we only get out of our half on half a dozen occasions, per game..  Would love to be completely wrong on that, but we must surely get a couple of players in, who can nip round the other teams’ lunks, so keeping the opponents on the back foot as often as I suspect they will do to us.  We need more “lower centre of gravity”, as our hugely overpaid pundits put it, so they can still say they are “strong”.  IC has the Dilly respect, but should know that Dillification is available, whenever required….. 

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2021, 01:42:49 PM »
KES I can imagine that Dilly and WLM will be concerned at IC’s comments about playing a different way with no wide players.

Will this mean we will be Nipsterless ?  And who is going to be there to collect those overhit crosses.  In fact who is going to put these overhit crosses in.  Maybe problem solved  :laughcry:

Much as Dilly and WLM might be concerned, I for one was really heartened by IC's comments about going away from the mistakes of last season where 'speed out wide' seemed to be the mantra.  If you look at the successful side IC built at step 3 it was far more about intelligent footballers moving the ball as a team than a reliance on an individual spot of magic, we got away from that after Christmas in the NLN campaign when Power joined on loan and it nearly cost us promotion (just check PPG for he started games vs the rest).  Last year we just didn't look like we ever had a gameplan or a side that had a 'style' which was all the harder to take given what had come before.

So now IC seems to rebuilding a squad of players who can play his preferred style but at NL level so I am hoping we see 3-4-1-2 (still think this is favorite as it solves two big problems - an extra defender to help when we concede set pieces and also frees up King to go and play) at least as our preferred option and flex it from there if need be. 

Interesting also to hear him talk about bringing in a coach to help out, wonder if there is a player/coach option to give us a bit of cover either up front or as cover for King as the likelihood of him being able to start / finish the majority of games this season isn't great

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2021, 04:02:11 PM »
Clearly people on here are talking about players they have never seen play and I find that
Unbelievable please can we hold judgment until we have seen them play

KES80

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2021, 05:10:02 PM »
Such speculation, banter and comment is always part of the pre season build up MAH... especially when so little info has been forthcoming from the club.

What news of The Friends...are things settling in ?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2021, 06:01:55 PM »
Clearly people on here are talking about players they have never seen play and I find that
Unbelievable please can we hold judgment until we have seen them play

:dontknow:
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2021, 06:03:27 PM »
What news of The Friends...are things settling in ?

I’m sure Malc will give an update on progress made fairly soon.   
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

KES80

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2021, 12:31:59 PM »
4weeksto go...reckon we still need back up for Gold and Junior another midfielder and maybe one more defender. I've given up looking at the club's twitter feed......will just have to wait for the EDP plus rumours on here

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2021, 01:08:37 PM »
4weeksto go...reckon we still need back up for Gold and Junior another midfielder and maybe one more defender. I've given up looking at the club's twitter feed......will just have to wait for the EDP plus rumours on here

May be worth keeping an eye open for the name of Liam Gibbs. 18 year old midfielder signed by Norwich from Ipswich (lives in BSE). Not PL standard as yet, so you can bet Norwich will be looking to loan him out.
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2021, 01:25:38 PM »
B&G, I would think Norwich would be looking for him to be playing higher than NL (had a few games in div 1 last season) but I guess you never know

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2021, 02:01:27 PM »
Speaking from a position of ignorance, as I haven’t seen any of the newcomers.  Still, that position doesn’t often harm some big-noises in some workplaces, so I’ll continue….  I’m still a bit concerned.  From what I’ve read, I can’t be confident that we have pulled in the category of player that will make us a much improved team from last season. It is a much improved team that we shall need, to survive this term.  I also have a nagging feeling that we demolished our last successful team a little too hastily. as I recall a team with Marriott, Fox and Pedro still included, that beat Maidenhead away.  Fingers remain crossed that improvements still to come, essentially in the attacking half of the team.  And, is it safe to go to the game ?  No one can answer that with confidence.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2021, 02:10:03 PM »
Think the back line has been tightened up.   I feel that some of the players who got us out of NLN got found out at NL level.   

Let’s not forget that we are now a full time club so that should add to the ability to stay at Step one level.

Still think we will see a few more new faces coming onboard before the League kicks off.  Couple of midfield players, a striker and maybe a 2nd keeper.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2021, 02:10:49 PM »
Liam Gibbs,  is that a rumour you have heard B&G ?

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2021, 02:32:16 PM »
I still believe, even though necking poking out too far from the passenger window, that we were far too hasty in moving out Pedro, Marriott, Southwell, Kelly, and, particularly, Nathan Fox.  Some of those didn’t look sharp last season, admittedly, but I think they would have done in a settled side.  Neck available for chopping off.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal