Author Topic: Squad  (Read 12090 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: Squad
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2021, 02:37:59 PM »
Speaking from a position of ignorance, as I haven’t seen any of the newcomers.  Still, that position doesn’t often harm some big-noises in some workplaces, so I’ll continue….  I’m still a bit concerned.  From what I’ve read, I can’t be confident that we have pulled in the category of player that will make us a much improved team from last season. It is a much improved team that we shall need, to survive this term.  I also have a nagging feeling that we demolished our last successful team a little too hastily. as I recall a team with Marriott, Fox and Pedro still included, that beat Maidenhead away.  Fingers remain crossed that improvements still to come, essentially in the attacking half of the team.  And, is it safe to go to the game ?  No one can answer that with confidence.

Dilly, I think most peoples assessment of the signings (given that none of us have seen them in a proper game against anything like what we will come up against in the league this season) is that we have 'upgraded' on what we had last year, although like you I still think we are a bit short of attacking options, particularly given King's previous fitness record. 

Good to see you talking of survival for this season, looking at some of the signings made by those in and around the playoffs last year the league is going to be stronger than ever at the top end (Mullin has just joined Wrexham from Cambs Utd) and I think we need to set expectations at a realistic level - if we can finish mid-table without the drama of a relegation battle that would be success for me. 

My biggest concern is that if it does all go wrong we have signed a lot of these lads on multi year deals and can we really afford to stay full time if we drop back into the NLN?  As for the previous squad, I think some could have maybe held their own at NLN level but I think NL would have been a step too far for the likes of Pedro and Fox as it proved for some who were retained last year.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2021, 02:43:37 PM »
My biggest concern is that if it does all go wrong we have signed a lot of these lads on multi year deals and can we really afford to stay full time if we drop back into the NLN?

Someone appears to have rolled the dice!

:scarf:
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2021, 02:48:08 PM »
Speaking from a position of ignorance, as I haven’t seen any of the newcomers.  Still, that position doesn’t often harm some big-noises in some workplaces, so I’ll continue….  I’m still a bit concerned.  From what I’ve read, I can’t be confident that we have pulled in the category of player that will make us a much improved team from last season. It is a much improved team that we shall need, to survive this term.  I also have a nagging feeling that we demolished our last successful team a little too hastily. as I recall a team with Marriott, Fox and Pedro still included, that beat Maidenhead away.  Fingers remain crossed that improvements still to come, essentially in the attacking half of the team.  And, is it safe to go to the game ?  No one can answer that with confidence.

Dilly, I think most peoples assessment of the signings (given that none of us have seen them in a proper game against anything like what we will come up against in the league this season) is that we have 'upgraded' on what we had last year, although like you I still think we are a bit short of attacking options, particularly given King's previous fitness record. 

Good to see you talking of survival for this season, looking at some of the signings made by those in and around the playoffs last year the league is going to be stronger than ever at the top end (Mullin has just joined Wrexham from Cambs Utd) and I think we need to set expectations at a realistic level - if we can finish mid-table without the drama of a relegation battle that would be success for me. 

My biggest concern is that if it does all go wrong we have signed a lot of these lads on multi year deals and can we really afford to stay full time if we drop back into the NLN?  As for the previous squad, I think some could have maybe held their own at NLN level but I think NL would have been a step too far for the likes of Pedro and Fox as it proved for some who were retained last year.

No trialist's at Gorleston game. I think there were seven at previous friendly. If any of them had impressed enough, I would have thought they would have been at Gorleston game.   :dontknow:
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

KES80

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2021, 02:51:22 PM »
Chelmsford will be more of a test for trialists to have a second showing I guess..lets hope it goes ahead.....lots of friendly call offs starting to happen due to Covid

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2021, 03:13:30 PM »
Didn’t read or see anything exciting on the subject of trialists.   Just seems that they were being used to fill the bench as we didn’t have enough bodies early doors.

KES. It is the worry re games getting pulled.  Could all get very messy again once the League starts.   So much uncertainty on every front.

One little nagging thing is our Chairman seems to have gone very quiet.  Never one to hide his light under a bushel he does seem to have gone ‘shy’ of late.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

KES80

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2021, 04:37:10 PM »
Yes I am a little concerned too about what that might mean....he might have gone abroad and can't get back.....or he might.be pursuing the 2/3 ideas he had to make things viable going forward.

Also no news on a Commercial Manager.

Makes me think a big announcement might be round the corner...if not a big sponsorship, will SC agree to share the club with an investor ?

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2021, 05:10:32 PM »
Investor ?  With that amount of debt showing on the books.

KES80

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2021, 06:17:44 PM »
Yes, well I am hoping that most is the low interest loan from last year and monies due to SC.

To me things don't add up  financially, currently.

Going full time, all the extra analysts etc etc

No new sponsorship of note, uncertainty of crowds for coming season.

By his own admission SC can't put in any more, so this is the season where something really has to happen to balance the equation.otherwise it could well be "Pop".

The current silence at the club on the financial income side is deafening..there must surely be some news soon

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2021, 07:58:26 PM »
I see Adam Marriott has started well at Barnet.  Last season was all Covid and loans related, so judgements couldn’t really be made about regulars from previous season at the ne level.  I suspect Marriott will show he can comfortably adapt to NL level, and leave us rueing our haste.  I’m searching for Nathan Fox now !

KES80

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2021, 08:10:25 PM »
Big thing with Mazza last year was the injury he picked up in pre season......it meant his pre season was compromised and of course his strike partner Gash, was ill.

I feel Mazza wanted a fresh challenge, so I don't see it as Lynn's haste that has resulted.in him leaving.....I believe he needs the new challenge to perform at his best......and Barnet are building a strong squad by the seem of it.

Re Fox....well I and others have said before...good going forward but found wanting on numerous occasions in defence in the league below...feel we should trust IC's judgement on that one......he did play at full/wing back for a number of years at a decent level.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2021, 09:25:13 PM »
Marriott started to miss fire toward the end of the curtailed NNL winning season which coincided with our drop in form.  Be interesting to see how he performs for Barnet this season.

As for Fox, he got found out on the defensive side of his game.  Don’t think he was involved in the NNL winning season.  How games did he start that season ?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2021, 09:03:31 AM »
27 league starts plus one as a used sub.
You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2021, 05:00:18 PM »
Marriott did start to lose potency last season, but he played in a very unbalanced team, hit by Covid, too many ( understandable) loanees,  and a team that was often top-heavy with defenders and centre-halves, which made it difficult to cross the half-way line and create chances.  To my recollection, Fox was only found out defensively in one game, that being against the little Chester winger who was man of the match.  He was excellent going forward, which, in the Dilly coaching manual, is defending too !  Anyway, people seem to like the look of one or two of the new attack-minded players, so we shall see…..

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2021, 05:07:24 PM »
Looks like we (Southend) are battling it out with you for Matt Dennis, a youngster from Norwich who has been on trial for us.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/19474926.southend-united-boss-phil-brown-keen-keep-norwich-city-youngster/

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2021, 05:58:23 PM »
Surely if there is tie up between Norwich and Lynn. ( u23’s playing at The Walks) then the lad should be heading our way.

Won’t be great if Norwich send the lad out to a Club in our League instead of us who are locally based.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal