Author Topic: LEGENDS HALL OF FAME  (Read 7776 times)

Wingwizzard

• View Profile
Re: LEGENDS HALL OF FAME
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »
I Agree with Badger  that the older generation know far  more players than I certainly do . having been a Lynn supporter for only a few years ( we all have to start some where )  I can only comment and vote for players I have seen, but I am sure that there should have been a starting  point of  say at least   20 players voted in  - which is my opinion , because when the voting starts again  next year it will be the same players again who didn't get voted in  plus a few others .  which I believe will create boredom amongst future voter,s   Just a thought

New Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 10:46:01 AM »
Alec Bugg cost us relegation in 1971 Sworn to Secrets!  You are having a laugh.
The total turmoil of the Club; inability to score goals after magnificent preseason and Cliff jones signing! Beat Ipswich !!
Dominated first 8 games and lost due to lack of goals with superiority!
Then; mayhem; Reg Davies dumped and Laurie Brown (nutter of highest order) decimated team and Board spending astronomical moneys and fraud on Lottery! 
Relegation and Bankruptcy! 6-8 houses sold by Club cheap!! Police wanted to bring in Fraud squad but Len Hall told us he vetoed it as it would shut Club.

As for Gary Steel; steady but no better than Andy Claxton!  Believe me!!

New Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 10:58:18 AM »
Percy Hooper straight from 1st Division at Spurs! Let Ditchburn in!
Ron Crooks an excellent goal keeper; Bernard Streton ex Luton; Norman Coe straight from Northampton;
Of the local lads; Street, Claxton; excellent! Steel came from another Club in Essex!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 11:05:06 AM »
NR the team that got relegated that season... Was it predominantly  a local based dside, with I guess the likes of Easthall Lindsay Rudd etc, or was it a mix of hone talent and those from away ?

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »
I only saw Percy Hooper playe a few games - Ron Crookes was the main man when I started watching...........An imposing figure and a keeper of great stature.

Badger

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 12:52:16 PM »
Mick Manning was another local GK fondly remembered by a lot of people, however, not in the same league as Percy Hooper and Ron (thanks New Recruit for the correct name) Crooks.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 01:02:20 PM »
Seem to recall that Mick was very agile and a great shot stopper but that he was second choice for quite a time before establishing himself in the first team???

New Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 01:16:24 PM »
Mallard; have a close look at 1970-71 season! Relegated from SPL and broke financially!!
Bugg; Ricketts; Radcliffe; Porter; Wright; Brookes; Robinson; Oliver; Jenkins; Lindsay; Rudd; Doyle; Jones; Davies; Laurie Brown; Young; Kerr; Clarke; Tough and another wing half from Watford mid season!
Fred Easthall 1972-73 joined Club!!
Not many Local; Locals in there!!
And Bugg did OK as I know well!!

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 01:48:39 PM »
New went to every home game that season and aggree with most of your comments exept Aex Bug, he was a disaster causing good defenders to play in a different manner to norm knowing what was behind them! played in the A team that season and was coached sundays by L Brown, good coach poor manager.

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 02:09:01 PM »
Oh; we beg to differ S to S!! And I was a bit closer than you!
Didn't remember Laurie Brown (joined Lynn Nov 70 left may 71) ever coaching 1st team let alone 'A' Side!
My close memory of Alex Bugg wasn't that he wasn't brilliant (youth player from Ipswich) but certainly wasn't hammered by team mates as a weakness!
The whole Club was a shambles; Dixie Hale another Reg Davies signing!!
If you can't score goals then ultimately defence does let a goal in and it gets worse with team lacking confidence! In the Lynn dressing room there was an idiot as Manager (LB) who never coached just shouted!!
Cliff Jones left immediately Brown came; his last game at Gloucester in a bog we wore all White! Cliff played 90 mins and was pristine white at end!! Went to Bedford after!! Played with Brown at Spurs and they apparently hated him with a vengeance!!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 03:03:27 PM »
Just pulled this off the site  NR... So either your memory is failing you or the records are incorrect.

SEASON 1970-71 FIXTURES/RESULTS 
Date   Opponents                              F-A    Att  Scorers
15 Aug Romford                              A   1-1   1535  Jenkins
18 Aug Cambridge City                   A   1-2   2174  Oliver                [Ricketts sent off]
22 Aug Hillingdon Borough             H   1-2   1914 Kerr
25 Aug Barnet                      (SLC)  A   4-1   1200  Brooks, Oliver, Jones 2 (1 pen)
29 Aug Yeovil                                  A   0-1
31 Aug Barnet                      (SLC)  H   0-2   1576
02 Sep Bury Town                 (FAC)  A   2-1         Rudd, Easthall

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 03:07:11 PM »
Was Brown the Ex Norwich City centre half and Skipper  ? 

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 05:19:54 PM »
He certainly coached A team sun morns i was there with Freddy Easthalls younger brother Paul, Steve Callaby, and later a very young R Jonstone to name a few Jess Wilson took over when Mr Brown left.

Tina Gamble

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 10:20:59 PM »
Great to read comments on the good old days at the Walks. The football was generally of a high quality, although the sides Lynn put out were not always up to the mark. My memories are of some cracking good players who had obviously seen better days but undoubtedly the level of football was high, opposing sides often had some former star. It doesn't happen these days, when players retire now they don't go near non league. I sincerely hope that you folks up there back the regime of Buster and co, he seems a sensible person with a local lad running the playing side of things. In the past too many shady characters both playing and backroom  have absolutely ruined Lynn. The way forward is definitely local and financially sound, forget big money, that's something that has never been present at the Walks. Just look at the archives, they don't lie, so really the present set has to be backed,  there is no other way,  good luck to you its a club that deserves to succeed.

New Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 09:37:33 PM »
S to Secrets. that's interesting as Easthall never figured again until 1972-3. He would have been 16 (Born 1954) in 1970 and was at Norwich!!
I do not remember Fred in that team in that season or at Club. BUT!!!
Jenkins, Oliver, Jones, Clarke, Rudd were front players early season.

I was close to team through those years and Fred was working still to be 1st team regular in Jim Whites first season.

It was a big money season; with few locals!!
If Laurie Brown was so happy to coach Sundays; pity he didn't Tuesday / Thursday with 1st team!!
And he was never interested in promoting local lads as season went on!