Author Topic: Southend (21st August)  (Read 12070 times)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
Re: Southend (21st August)
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2021, 09:48:31 AM »
On the subject of crowds and entry costs.  I was reading that Boreham Wood season ticket sales are down to just 308 from 446 two years ago.   So it’s not just a cost scenario for people not attending.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

KES80

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2021, 09:54:52 AM »
No, I think that's a fair point...lots of factors.......Covid fears, lack of money for some and people just having got out of the routine..... hopefully, if the Covid situation doesn't affect crowds due to restrictions, we will see home crowds gradually climb, tho being realistic it may be next Spring before things hopefully start to return to a consistent new normal

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2021, 10:13:42 AM »
I’m with you KES.  I don’t think we can compare today with the past few years.  All bets are off.  We don’t really know what actual fallout from Covid will be on Clubs like Kings Lynn and others who have an elderly fanbase.

At SC has that Gov loan money to prop us up this season.   I guess while other clubs have wealthy backers to keep pumping money in.   I’m
Not sure SC is in their League.   Which does make you wonder why he doesn’t bring in other investors.

Any ideas to why he seems reluctant to let go of any % of the Club when it would appear to benefit the club and lighten his load.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2021, 10:24:55 AM »
I think he would gladly welcome new investment, but check on line his past history, and ask yourself, would you?

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2021, 10:51:04 AM »
So the simple question is ...Why are we the most expensive and what is the justifying logic.......

I think it’s because it was decided we needed a bigger budget to compete in this league, and so prices went up to increase the budget. Basing decisions on what SC wants the club to be,  rather than what it can afford.

It is worth remembering the pricing structure last year was never really put to the test.

Increasing the price of something does not always result in the desired outcome of higher revenue?

happymondays

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2021, 10:54:44 AM »
If you were the only fox in the chicken coop...would you invite in any other foxes.

Coastal linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2021, 11:46:30 AM »
This year I converted from being a Norwich season ticket holder to buying one for Lynn with the idea of watching live football on a Saturday afternoon followed by watching Norwich getting thrashed on Match Of the Day.
It was my first conversion since being changed from town gas to North Sea gas in the distant past. I arrived at the ground early  and after being body scanned and no offensive weapons or even chocolate bars or crisps I was allowed in. I have a sear in the stand and asked the steward where my seat was. He gesticulated widely in the direction of area c and I used my alphabetical skills ( practiced recently in helping my great nieces in learning to read) to find my seat which had a homemade sticker with the name of the previous incumbent on.
To the football ! A decent game. Lynn man of the match: Paul Jones.
A number of good Lynn performances; Rowley ( 2nd in m.o.m. considerations)
Like to see more of Gyasi ( a player running at defences is always exciting to watch)
Disappointing aspect: Morias' tackle and red card ( an awful challenge)

Overall, a good afternoon. After being locked down, locked in, locked up etc
it was good to be out in the fresh air!

P.s. to keep the cost down I had an enjoyable all day breakfast at Morrisons and come
December I can use my bus pass to travel to and from games.

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2021, 12:18:08 PM »
I arrived at the ground early  and after being body scanned and no offensive weapons or even chocolate bars or crisps I was allowed in.
I wonder if the club will be fined for the flare incident.
I don't know why people do it, it could result in 3 months in prison.
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

Watford mick

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2021, 01:41:01 PM »
Have to say thought we competed very well against a Southend side who looked a bit sharper than us for the first hour and marked us very tight
Switched off for their goal but thought defensively we looked  better than we have done for several years .
On another day might have nicked one at the end but overall can see things improving as the season progresses  .
Also   anf just my opinion     thought we looked a lot more dangerous when gyasi came on and started to run at them
Buy overall    good performance against a very hard working and organised team

Rootshallbloke

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2021, 02:54:47 PM »
A slightly uncomfortable thought, not for you guys but for the Club's stewards and security. There have been several reports on our board today that our fans on the covered terrace were on the receiving end of coins and liquids lobbed by some of your home fans standing close to them. By nature we are a noisy bunch but not known for violence but it probably wouldn't have taken much more for our lads to be over the wall and having a chat. Your club will undoubtedly have away fans that may not be inclined to let it go. Shame because it was a great day out and you deserve credit for making it so.
What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?

Bluboy

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2021, 10:23:16 PM »
A slightly uncomfortable thought, not for you guys but for the Club's stewards and security. There have been several reports on our board today that our fans on the covered terrace were on the receiving end of coins and liquids lobbed by some of your home fans standing close to them. By nature we are a noisy bunch but not known for violence but it probably wouldn't have taken much more for our lads to be over the wall and having a chat. Your club will undoubtedly have away fans that may not be inclined to let it go. Shame because it was a great day out and you deserve credit for making it so.
Sorry to hear of that incident, which is a shame as after all the build up hype about segregation etc I thought how pleasant the day was with both sets off supporters mixed  , I think you share a view with many a lynn fan about that part of segregation it’s way to close and personally should have netting up to stop objects thrown … unfortunately if something isn’t done can see a major incident if it carries on !!

KES80

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2021, 12:55:48 PM »
Just seen the highlights......for the first time I think we look like a proper NL outfit.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2021, 02:02:30 PM »
Will leave my thoughts about off-field matters for another post (think it might be a long one)

On the field I thought we did well and like KES said, we looked like a proper NL side, albeit I think both teams will finish bottom half this season.  The two new centre halves looked better than what we had previously and McFadden looked better with them alongside him.  Both wing backs had good games and Jones pulled off some good saves when we pushed forward and left ourselves open at the back later on but disappointed that he adopted the Mair MO of not coming for crosses at any point during the game.  Thought the midfield two came out second best and not sure Sundire pushed his case for replacing either of them for the next game.  Rowley looked very good and most of our good play in the first half went through him, sticking him out on the wing when we changed formation didn't help him or the side imo.  Up front, IC said on Radio Norfolk that they were too far apart and I think that is probably an understatement and why this wasn't pointed out (or acted upon) during the game is anyones guess.  I didn't think any of the subs made much of an impact, Gyasi runs around quickly but no real end product and the others stuggled to get up to the pace of the game and I don't think the change in shape helped us as much as Southend adopting a 'sit back and hit them on the break' attitude.

Moving forward we looked a lot more solid at the back and the wing backs provided good outlets, unfortunately IC also said that this was it for the squad so we do look very thin if we get injuries and / or silly suspensions, maybe Linton will take his opportunity over the next three games?  Would like to see another midfielder in but if the budget won't allow it then we will just have to live with what we have but we have to try and move the ball quicker although that also needs better movement from those in front of them - hopefully another week of full-time training will address some of this ready for another couple of tests this coming weekend.

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2021, 06:26:40 AM »
Nicki when you say who don’t like S C on what do you base it on ,have you met the man who has taken our team to where we are today, I for one never thought our team would be playing the likes of Chesterfield and Notts County if you would have said to me 10 seasons ago we would be playing in the conference I would have said that will never happen but here we are and a professional team and the man you don’t like has got us there

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2021, 06:37:13 AM »
 :farmer:
Nicki when you say who don’t like S C on what do you base it on ,have you met the man who has taken our team to where we are today, I for one never thought our team would be playing the likes of Chesterfield and Notts County if you would have said to me 10 seasons ago we would be playing in the conference I would have said that will never happen but here we are and a professional team and the man you don’t like has got us there

:farmer: :oldman" I take it that Buster Chapmans reign did nothing too help us on our way then?  :oldman" :farmer:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal