Author Topic: Clunan  (Read 4611 times)

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
Re: Clunan
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 06:34:28 AM »
He’s been a good servant for our team and he had a good game on Saturday but I understand where people are coming from,but please don’t comment on a match you’ve not seen

:farmer: :oldman" Please read again, at no time did I comment on Saturdays game, neither did KES. He has been a good servant to the club, also being paid for it, as were others who have now departed. All I was trying too say was I personally feel Michael is not at the level required for National League football. I feel I can not put it any clearer, not in any way criticism of the lad, just my opinion. :farmer: :oldman"

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 07:54:52 AM »
He’s been a good servant for our team and he had a good game on Saturday but I understand where people are coming from,but please don’t comment on a match you’ve not seen

He didn'!

:banghead;
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 08:44:37 AM »
Mallard has shown that he doesn’t get the essence of nipsterism, or nipsters.  And others, imho, are too stuck on “beef” in positions where we need “players” !  A nipster can be any size, not merely “slight”, although good nipsters tend to be smaller ( or what the macho analysts call “ a low centre of gravity” , because saying “small” messes up their “Big and Strong” fixation.  The essence is the ability to trick their way past an opponent, and nip away over a short distance.  “Beef” or “ Strength” is often a cliche, usually spouted by those who buy the macho nonsense spoken by pundits, to make out there is something extra in the “English game”.  Players are often said to have “used their strength” , when a playback shows there was no contact whatsoever !  Salah, Mane, even Grealish are all nipsters.  Players nearly always murder beefcake !!  Glad to be of service !!

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2021, 09:08:37 AM »
Mallard has shown that he doesn’t get the essence of nipsterism, or nipsters.  And others, imho, are too stuck on “beef” in positions where we need “players” !  A nipster can be any size, not merely “slight”, although good nipsters tend to be smaller ( or what the macho analysts call “ a low centre of gravity” , because saying “small” messes up their “Big and Strong” fixation.  The essence is the ability to trick their way past an opponent, and nip away over a short distance.  “Beef” or “ Strength” is often a cliche, usually spouted by those who buy the macho nonsense spoken by pundits, to make out there is something extra in the “English game”.  Players are often said to have “used their strength” , when a playback shows there was no contact whatsoever !  Salah, Mane, even Grealish are all nipsters.  Players nearly always murder beefcake !!  Glad to be of service !!
:oldman" :farmer: Jan Molby was a beefcake with little speed but exceptional vision and passing ability and he ran the middle of the. Park for one of Europe's finest teams. :oldman" :cheers: :farmer:

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2021, 09:32:55 AM »
Thank you for the educating me Dilly.  I have put on the pointy hat with a big capital ‘D’ 
 :laughcry:
:laughcry:

The ultimate Nipster for me would be someone like Chippy Brady, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh.  Nipsters yes but above all entertainers.  Then again I appreciated what the likes of Duncan Ferguson, Martin Chilvers, Joe Jordan brought to the game.

Then on the other side I was a huge fan of Kevin Beattie, best defender, ( both attacking and defending wise) that I ever had the pleasure of watching.

In a nutshell Dilly, there is more to life ( Football) than Nipsters
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2021, 10:10:12 AM »
Mallard has shown that he doesn’t get the essence of nipsterism, or nipsters.  A nipster can be any size, not merely “slight”, although good nipsters tend to be smaller ( or what the macho analysts call “ a low centre of gravity” , because saying “small” messes up their “Big and Strong” fixation.  The essence is the ability to trick their way past an opponent, and nip away over a short distance. 

I think he more than gets what you mean.

You've just described him perfectly during his illustrious playing career! 

:scarf:
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2021, 10:26:54 AM »

Messi, Xavi and Iniesta were / are all decent nipsters with low centres of gravity?

KES80

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2021, 05:49:35 PM »
Please don't accuse any one of being "fixated" Dilly......my goodness talk about pot, kettle and black :laughcry: :laughcry:

The essence of what many understand is that to be a consistently effective player at full time level, you need to be reasonably strong on the ball and from time to time you need to be able to hold off a player when needed. This doesn't imply a foul or anything ugly.......just a combination of good core strength and general strength, allied to reasonable pace. Anyone who doesn't possess these attributes will stand out, because they are regularly picking themselves off the floor, being run or shouldered off the ball and often a yard or two off the pace of the game.

Last season that was happening to many in the squad......last Saturday I am very pleased tosay, it wasn't.

YellowLinnet

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2021, 09:51:43 PM »
I’ve heard very positive things about Joe Gascoinge who has come through the youth set-up. Would it not be worth giving him a run in the first team? Or even get him out to a local club for some match time, maybe Heacham? If he does well then you could swap them over and Clunan could go on loan to develop other local sides?

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2021, 10:46:25 PM »
I’ve heard very positive things about Joe Gascoinge who has come through the youth set-up. Would it not be worth giving him a run in the first team? Or even get him out to a local club for some match time, maybe Heacham? If he does well then you could swap them over and Clunan could go on loan to develop other local sides?

I think Gascoigne is a good way off NL level at present but if a loan to a step 3/4 side (not Heacham's level) can be found to get him some exposure to adult football he is still young enough to come back a better player and stake a claim next season. 

As for Clunan, I think he can still have a role within the first team squad this season but I don't think him and Coleman are strong enough as a pair to play in the system we used Saturday (3 central defenders, 2 wing backs, 2 holding midfielders, a no10 and 2 up front), maybe the lad from Ipswich will help and then it might be a choice as to Clunan or Coleman alongside or maybe we lose a centre half and go with three in the middle of the park.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2021, 10:08:28 AM »
Mallard, or anyone else - I’m not educating anyone.  We all have opinions on the game, and I’m just stating mine.  Perhaps I shouldn’t have put that “Mall showed he doesn’t understand “ nipsters or nipsteirism” - what I meant was he perhaps doesn’t understand “what I mean” by nipster.  That’s different, and I apologise if my wording offended anyone..  No one’s opinion is more correct than anyone else’s.  In an era in which we constantly hear about Strength, Winning a foul, Good fouls, some midfielders having the job of prowling about and breaking up play by fouling, etc….  I just believe it’s all nonsense.  Even Souness called them out for it, saying it would “ be the end of the game” !!  Good players don’t get bowled over, because the lunk is often tackling or wrestling thin air ! (IMHO).  On YT, there’s a great commentary on the 1974 Bremner/Keegan game.  It summed it up a treat , for me …..

KES80

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2021, 10:20:00 AM »
If this was "Just a Minute", the claxon would have sounded Dilly, for "Repetition".

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but........if you are not trying to educate someone, then why keep saying the same stuff....unless you are trying to convince yourself :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2021, 10:28:44 AM »
Thanks KES, and I can hear that claxon !!!  It’s not the only aspect of the game I believe is necessary, or that I enjoy, but I believe we, and only us, put too much emphasis on a “ physical” side of the game that is wildly exaggerated.  If it were real, you’d see players getting up off the deck and congratulating the lunk on his physical effort which clobbered him, and reduced his ability in the game.  You don’t though - the “ recipient” is always angry, and rightly so.  Some of the foreign ones look dumbfounded that it’s allowed !

KES80

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2021, 10:38:19 AM »
Claxon..... Repetition :laughcry:

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2021, 12:46:46 PM »
How about the game where Vinnie Jones had Gazza by the meat and two veg?  Certainly brawn won the day there.   I remember the Story of Vinnie saying to Gazza ‘Hey fat boy,I’m off to take a corner. You wait there till I get back’.   And he did  :laughcry:
Gazza was pure quality but if had one flaw he never had that yard of pace, but made up for it with body strength.   Your witness Dillster

I don’t mind Dilly having an opinion but football is made up of many facets that win games.  At one time it was a fact that in the top division in English that the highest % of goals were scored from re-starts.  ( set pieces etc). Who doesn’t love to see a long throw launched into the oppositions 6 yard box ?
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal