Author Topic: Sponsor wanted for Saturday's game.  (Read 1896 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: Sponsor wanted for Saturday's game.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2021, 10:57:22 AM »
One would hope that the owner has done his sums and knows what is needed to compete at this level and indeed where the funds would come from to support it.

Here’s a few ideas what he maybe looking toward.

FA Cup run
NL payment ( each season)
Outside ‘investment’
His own pocket.

At the outset SC declared his intention of bringing EFL Level to the Walks.  Surely as an experienced businessman he has done his homework on how this could be achieved.   Or maybe he is just flying it by the seat of his pants.

No CM in the building, admission prices that are seemingly not attractive to some would indicate our owner has other cards up his sleeve to make the thing work.

Having been banging on about infrastructure on here for years, I take no pleasure in seeing where the club now finds itself, off the field at least.  Mall, in answer to your question, maybe SC thought that (to misquote Kevin Costner) 'if he built it, they would come' which seems to have been a massive miscalculation, not helped by COVID or the speed at which we progressed from step 3 to 1.  Basically there is a core of fans who will go to the Walks regularly, which has probably had a net growth during SC's tenure (up to maybe around 800-1000?), plus there is a much wider group who will come to 'big games' or when the team is doing well and there is certainly more of these now that the club's profile and that of the opposition is much higher but just not sure they will turn out if we are in a relegation scrap after Christmas. 

In terms of where the money comes from now, the NL payment is already budgeted for and I would imagine SC's 'pocket' is only so deep, personally I think outside investment looks unlikely (unless it comes with a change in ownership) so we are probably hoping for a cup run which would be a welcome 'sticking plaster' but certainly can't be relied upon every season.  The underlying problem is that we achieved promotion through financial doping and IC's management and neither of these are now things that can give us an edge at step 1 - there are owners with much, much deeper pockets and/or clubs with much larger fanbases and/or managers of comparable stature to IC which is why the weaknesses elsewhere at the Walks are now more clearly visible imo.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Welcome to the Pleasuredome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 03:35:14 PM »
One would hope that the owner has done his sums and knows what is needed to compete at this level and indeed where the funds would come from to support it.

Here’s a few ideas what he maybe looking toward.

FA Cup run
NL payment ( each season)
Outside ‘investment’
His own pocket.

At the outset SC declared his intention of bringing EFL Level to the Walks.  Surely as an experienced businessman he has done his homework on how this could be achieved.   Or maybe he is just flying it by the seat of his pants.

No CM in the building, admission prices that are seemingly not attractive to some would indicate our owner has other cards up his sleeve to make the thing work.

Having been banging on about infrastructure on here for years, I take no pleasure in seeing where the club now finds itself, off the field at least.  Mall, in answer to your question, maybe SC thought that (to misquote Kevin Costner) 'if he built it, they would come' which seems to have been a massive miscalculation, not helped by COVID or the speed at which we progressed from step 3 to 1.  Basically there is a core of fans who will go to the Walks regularly, which has probably had a net growth during SC's tenure (up to maybe around 800-1000?), plus there is a much wider group who will come to 'big games' or when the team is doing well and there is certainly more of these now that the club's profile and that of the opposition is much higher but just not sure they will turn out if we are in a relegation scrap after Christmas. 

In terms of where the money comes from now, the NL payment is already budgeted for and I would imagine SC's 'pocket' is only so deep, personally I think outside investment looks unlikely (unless it comes with a change in ownership) so we are probably hoping for a cup run which would be a welcome 'sticking plaster' but certainly can't be relied upon every season.  The underlying problem is that we achieved promotion through financial doping and IC's management and neither of these are now things that can give us an edge at step 1 - there are owners with much, much deeper pockets and/or clubs with much larger fanbases and/or managers of comparable stature to IC which is why the weaknesses elsewhere at the Walks are now more clearly visible imo.

Seems to me we need a few more donations by people that are prepared to sponsor things at the ground at 25k a time, but do not want to have their name disclosed or (as was so in the last case) put on the Stand that they sponsored.

I wonder if the Chairman has anymore of these up his sleeve.   :dontknow:
Always do the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2021, 09:41:36 PM »
Was there a sponsor for this game - it might have been announced but the sound system is so awful no one would ever know.
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal