Author Topic: Torquay away  (Read 2939 times)

Realist

• Moderated
    • View Profile
Re: Torquay away
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2021, 07:45:31 AM »
According to the Lynn News report, Barrett and Taylor both out with hamstring issues.

It said on Radio Norfolk that Barrett's injury was related to the the one he picked up at Bristol Rovers in February.
If so another flaw is exposed, obviously a physical and injury history assessment (medical) should have been thoroughly completed. This should have identified this frailty, hiring and paying injured players at this level is not very bright.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2021, 09:47:54 AM »
Born did you not enjoy the times under Buster with Setch in charge ?  Did a decent job as I recall.  Two promotions semi final of the FA Vase.

Football was played at Lynn before Cleeve and Will continue being played long after he has gone.

Bornandbred

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2021, 10:42:37 AM »
Mallard with respect, you have totally missed the point, Have enjoyed all the ex management over the years, just repeat again I have not witnessed this calibre of football in my late years ever....
So as a Newcastle fan would you still reminisce over bobby robson or embrace the new Saudi consortium with all its potential success/ pitfalls🤔.   Yesterday has gone ~ today is on....👌

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • One pill makes you larger one pill makes you small
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2021, 11:47:13 AM »
Mallard with respect, you have totally missed the point, Have enjoyed all the ex management over the years, just repeat again I have not witnessed this calibre of football in my late years ever....
So as a Newcastle fan would you still reminisce over bobby robson or embrace the new Saudi consortium with all its potential success/ pitfalls🤔.   Yesterday has gone ~ today is on....👌

With respect Born, as I know it wasn't me you asked the question of, but "embrace the Saudi consortium"?

Surely you say that in jest?

I think that's the last thing that the majority of football supporters would want to do.

It basically demonstrates what's gone wrong in the sport we all love.

Irrespective of all the side issues with Newcastles new owners (and by saying side issues I don't mean to trivialise these matters), but buying success, or planning to buy success, is not what football should be all about imo.

If big money is spent, and its been generated by the activities of the Club, then fair enough. Bringing huge amounts in from outside the sport, sometimes with very dubious origins, ruins it for so many.

Mentioning these new owners and the likes of Bobby Robson in the same breath must amount to sacrilege to many of the Toons, even though they are so desperate for success, which of course they thought they were going to buy with the previous owners who they welcomed with open arms at the time.

To many the history of Clubs is important as the present. Fond memories over the years of not just the teams and players of the times, but also friends on the terraces that are no longer with us.

:scarf:
When you're dead, you don't know you are dead. The pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2021, 12:08:33 PM »
Born,  Iím sure you are enjoying the current level the Club is playing at.  Judging by the number of home fans turning up itís a bit marmite I would suggest.

The trouble comes with a club like Lynn starts Ďpunchingí  it only has one natural conclusion.  Maybe you think a couple of years at this level and running up a debt of a million quid is worth all pain that will follow.

Kings Lynn has a natural level to be playing at that is sustainable.  I would suggest that level is NOT step one.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2021, 01:44:26 PM »
Its a trait that many Lynn fans have illustrated over the years.....They will support in greater numbers if the team are successful, almost irrespective of the level they are playing at?

happymondays

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2021, 03:44:45 PM »
The simple truth is the admission cost was set too high and this was enough to deter the floating fan and probably 25% of the regular punters.
This coincided with an average side this year and a poor matchday experience for home and away fans.
Add to this the financial crisis brewing in the background and you have the perfect storm.
If Lynn played well and climbed up the table and all the other issues were addressed then gates of 3-4 thousand would be the norm and this league would definitely be our level.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2021, 04:11:32 PM »
Think thatís a common theme with most Non League Clubs and maybe those in League Two and one.

People will always turn out in decent numbers when things are going well.  I donít think it follows that the higher up the pyramid a Club goes that bigger gates follow, if the team is non successful on the pitch.

happymondays

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2021, 04:17:54 PM »
If they are not successful on the pitch then obviously they would drop down the  football pyramid !

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2021, 04:34:50 PM »
The simple truth is the admission cost was set too high and this was enough to deter the floating fan and probably 25% of the regular punters.
This coincided with an average side this year and a poor matchday experience for home and away fans.
Add to this the financial crisis brewing in the background and you have the perfect storm.
If Lynn played well and climbed up the table and all the other issues were addressed then gates of 3-4 thousand would be the norm and this league would definitely be our level.

Sorry but that just isn't the case - the admission has been reduced and seen a minimal increase in the gate so to suggest we lost 25% of the potential gate is fitting a conclusion to your narrative rather than something borne out by the facts.  Also to suggest we could see gates of 3-4 thousand (unless you are talking one off games) is again failing to acknowledge the facts over the past decades, however unpalatable Mall is right in that step 1 probably isn't a sustainable level for KLTFC

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2021, 04:36:06 PM »

Yes, the damage has already been done and its not as simple as just  reducing prices to where they shoukd have been at the start of the season.

Big difference between 3,000 and 4,000, but I can't see that happening. I think that the Chairman probably thought that bigger gates automatically came with a higher level of football but many doubted that and its been seen is not the case.

If we wanted to hit 3000, we'd probably have to have an average in excess of  2000 home supporters, and playing well or not, I think we would struggle with that for a number of reasons.
When you're dead, you don't know you are dead. The pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2021, 04:41:24 PM »

However unpalatable Mall is right in that step 1 probably isn't a sustainable level for KLTFC

Careful Tony, you'll have the people involved with Clubs media crawling all over you and accusing you of all sorts of things if you post things like that.

Of course, it won't matter that you're 100% correct.

happymondays

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2021, 04:45:05 PM »
So the aim is to drop a level and compete but not to gain promotion ...that's laughable

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2021, 04:59:26 PM »
So the aim is to drop a level and compete but not to gain promotion ...that's laughable

OR... play at a level where the club is more likely be sustainable and then build the infrastructure required to make the step up.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2021, 05:02:05 PM »
The aim surely is to greatly improve the commercial side of the club and give the playing budget a real chance to compete at whatever level we find ourselves.    The Chairman putting out a begging post for a match day sponsor for 4 days later speaks volumes to where that side of the business is at. 

The Club has a massive FOC asset that they should also be using. This all sounds like a broken record as this is something people on here have been banging on about for years.

Even then who knows if it will be enough, but got to be worth a shot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal