Author Topic: Are we playing a football league team in fa cup Saturday?  (Read 3126 times)

LUFC1992KLFC

• View Profile
Are we playing a football league team in fa cup Saturday?
« on: November 04, 2021, 08:04:44 AM »
Seems real apathy around this game from all quarters.
Club not overly promoting the game, hardly a mention on this forum. Press hardly a word. I recall days when town would be whipped up for an FA Cup game regardless of the opposition.
When we played Oldham we had 6k in the ground.
We are now playing at much higher level, we have a game in first round of FA Cup at home to EFL opposition. Where is the buzz?
If you can’t market this and even close followers aren’t talking about it, will we ever get interest back?

How many are Walsall bringing?

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
Re: Are we playing a football league team in fa cup Saturday?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 08:20:12 AM »
Listening to a podcast involving SC yesterday it seems Walsall have sold 650 and expecting 1,000 in total to travel.   Kings Lynn up until 3 days ago had sold 1600.  So very much looking like around 3,000 will be.

I guess if we had an inform Lynn team then the gate would be higher, plus also some of the elderly supporters may still not feel comfortable in coming back yet.

FA Cup games against League opposition only use to come around very rarely ( Oldham for example).  Now this will be our third FA Cup in a year.  Plus we have Ex League Clubs visiting every other home game.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

LUFC1992KLFC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 09:20:57 AM »
Ok, some good points.
I wonder how many of the so called isolate elders there actually are? The senior citizens around me are all back and in fine voice.
Be good to see a 3k plus.
By simply getting that info out there would encourage others to jump on board. It’s good news. There has been so much negativity that we need to embrace this good news and share it. Let those who believe we are falling apart that there are still thousands who support this club

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 02:07:25 PM »
Ok, some good points.
I wonder how many of the so called isolate elders there actually are? The senior citizens around me are all back and in fine voice.
By simply getting that info out there would encourage others to jump on board. It’s good news. There has been so much negativity that we need to embrace this good news and share it. Let those who believe we are falling apart that there are still thousands who support this club

I think Mallard has covered most things - is Walsall in the cup now that much bigger than Wrexham the following week?  We have only had to win a single game to get to the first round proper and with the poor league form I can understand why there may be a slightly underwhelmed view of the weekend's fixture, I don't think that is being negative more a statement as to where we are both in relation to the EFL and also current form.  As for some older fans still bot returning to the Walks - there are a number around where I stand that I haven't seen this season so I don't think it can be easily dismissed.  As for whether we are falling apart, I will leave that to another thread but hopefully a good crowd and a good performance at the weekend could see the a turn in fortunes.

Ap

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 07:49:59 PM »
As much interest on this fourm recently in the Sterry Cup as the FA Cup  :cup2:

Gordon Chilvers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 08:20:58 PM »
Seems real apathy around this game from all quarters.
Club not overly promoting the game, hardly a mention on this forum. Press hardly a word. I recall days when town would be whipped up for an FA Cup game regardless of the opposition.
When we played Oldham we had 6k in the ground.
We are now playing at much higher level, we have a game in first round of FA Cup at home to EFL opposition. Where is the buzz?
If you can’t market this and even close followers aren’t talking about it, will we ever get interest back?

How many are Walsall bringing?
Reference the Oldham game in the very limited time that we had to source extra stocks we actually sold in excess of 1000 replica shirts in the CLUBSHOP prior to the date of the game as well as a vast array of other merchandise. On the night you couldn't get near the clubshop because of the massive queues for the Posh nosh food and drink wagon. most of the merchandise sold on the night was fakes sold in the walkway at the back of the main stand and into the queues waiting to get into the ground from the Walks etc. This was totally against what the police said was allowed to happen.
i wonder if the latest club have ever sold 1000 replica shirts full stop let alone for one game.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 08:52:58 PM »
Just listened to Ian Culverhouse and his pre match interview.  One very unhappy man judging by his answers, body language and seemingly total apathy towards those interviewing him.

Comes across as a man who doesn’t want to be there.

How did others view it ?

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 09:20:52 PM »
Just listened to Ian Culverhouse and his pre match interview.  One very unhappy man judging by his answers, body language and seemingly total apathy towards those interviewing him.

Comes across as a man who doesn’t want to be there.

How did others view it ?

Is anyone really surprised???

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 09:28:51 PM »
Surprised Rod?  Maybe not.  However I thought he would have acted a bit more professionally than that and certainly had a bit more respect for the Press guys assembled.

After all with the start IC’s team has made those self same press guys could have certainly  been a lot harsher with their questions and match reports.   It’s hardly their fault if things ain’t going the he hoped.

KES80

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 09:55:16 PM »
I always find it a strange contradiction at the football club.

We as fans are given minimal info about events at the club and it's largely kept secret behind closed doors, yet any time the manager is upset, he and the Chairman don't seem to be able to have a private meeting to iron things out...instead we get arguing on the pitch between the two of them in front of everyone at the end of a match and petulant behaviour in press conferences....bizarre.

Have to say as well, the standard of questions put forward by the press isn't great... would have been good if one of them had actually asked IC how he personally feels at the moment and what his hopes are for next 4/5 weeks.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 09:30:54 AM »
Ok, some good points.

Equally, I know a lot that have not returned. It's not just the ever present danger of Covid, or indeed league form or prices. As people get older, standing on a cold terrace does become less attractive to them. That's only natural. Also, although I'm sure that seeing a League team at the Walks is an obvious attraction to many, the bigger crowds and the "hassle factor" that can bring with it also makes it less appealing to others.

I think the gate will be around the 3k though.
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

happymondays

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 10:11:34 AM »
Then surely this begs the question as to why the younger generations of fans havnt been brought through and encouraged over the last few years.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 10:36:05 AM »
Then surely this begs the question as to why the younger generations of fans havnt been brought through and encouraged over the last few years.

I think that maybe a football thing in general. Same question was being asked of the Directors of the previous Club.

Football does seem to be a very much "live for the day" kind of business.
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

Blue Moon

• Gloria Easthallfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 01:59:33 PM »
With the attitude shown by our "professional " manager in the recent interview the clubs' media team are on a hiding to nothing !! 
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

Bornandbred

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 05:38:30 PM »
Car crash TV interview.... End of......

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal