Author Topic: The Crouch report  (Read 3904 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
The Crouch report
« on: November 25, 2021, 11:13:10 AM »
Fan-led football review chaired by Tracey Crouch to propose an independent regulator for the game

Tracey Crouch will propose an independent regulator for football when she publishes her final report from the fan-led review into the game on Wednesday evening.

The long-awaited report is expected to recommend a regulator be created to run a licensing system, giving the regulator the power to withdraw licences from clubs who tried to join breakaway competitions such as the European Super League.

It would also oversee the owners’ and directors’ test and require clubs to provide proof of financial sustainability, though Crouch is not expected to propose banning the kind of deals that led to the Saudi-led takeover of Newcastle United.

The final report is also expected to call for Premier League parachute payments to be shared more equally between EFL Clubs.

It will recommend giving supporters a “golden share” in clubs and the power to veto things such as changing the club’s name, badge or kit colours, and the sale of their stadium.

Crouch, the former sports minister, is also expected to include a recommendation to consider lifting the 36-year ban on fans drinking alcohol in the stands.

The independent fan-led review was commissioned by the Government in April in the wake of the collapse of the European Super League, having been promised in the Conservative Party in their 2019 General Election manifesto. The Government has said it will support Crouch’s review by bringing forward any necessary legislation.

The proposal that underpins the Crouch review has been widely trailed: the creation of an independent regulator for English football. The IREF would have two primary responsibilities, one financial, one corporate.
It would demand financial plans from a club’s owner and would be able to inspect the books at any point.
It would also be able to make greater demands of the owners themselves, including asking that they pass an integrity test and resubmit to assessment every three years (as opposed to the current one-off criminal record check). Should any of the agreed criteria not be met, the IREF could revise the terms under which any club was allowed to compete or remove that right.

https://www.cityam.com/qa-what-does-the-crouch-review-mean-for-english-football/

I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: The Crouch report
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 01:17:37 PM »
Well it's now out and seems to have been generally well received, although maybe less so from some EPL clubs and the FA but the proof will be in how many of the 47 recommendations actually make it into the legislation when (if) it is drafted and I wouldn't trust Nadine Dorries to do anything with any level of competence.  In terms of whether it will affect KLTFC, I guess it depends on how far down the pyramid they legislate but would seem to make sense to go down to NLN/NLS imo as there are still some sizable clubs at that level.

If you want to read a bit more, the full report is here https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1035900/v6_Football_Fan_led_Governance_Review_WebAccessible.pdf
Other views on it
https://www.fairgameuk.org/press-releases/traceycrouchreport-b4kgx
https://thefsa.org.uk/news/fan-led-review-is-a-huge-step-forward/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59414375

Personally I don't think it quite goes far enough but I do accept I am probably not representative of the 'general fan', so at least it could be a step in the right direction and if nothing else may discourage some potential owners from entering football.  A real chance for fans to step up (or keep the pressure on in the short term) around shadow boards and fan representation.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 05:48:16 PM »
As you say Tony, its a step in the right direction.

Personally I view it as a foot in the door and expect it to evolve further over time.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 06:13:15 PM »
I wonder if this is all just laying lip service to the subject and it will
End up getting caught up in red tape and forgotten about over time.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 01:52:27 PM »
I see the PL clubs are having a meeting tomorrow re the Crouch report, I hope they understand the weight of support there is for the bulk of the recommendations.  Note I said hope rather than expect and unfortunately there are a number of CEOs of PL clubs who haven't helped their case over the past week on various media.

On a related note, SD Europe has released a 'Practical Guide to Supporter Liasion' - https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/026f-13cca3e5461b-a462a58818bb-1000/uefa_practical_guide_to_supporter_liaison.pdf - I have only skimmed it, but there looks to be lots of good examples from across Europe (at various levels) as to how a Supporter Liasion person / team can benefit both supporters and clubs, not sure SLOs or fan engagement feature highly on SC's 'things to do' list maybe, just maybe, they should.  Not sure who he has lined up as his next guest on his podcast but Fair Game have been on numerous podcasts in the past couple of weeks so would be good to hear them discuss the issues with SC who I think probably has more in common with those PL CEOs

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 02:16:10 PM »
I see the PL clubs are having a meeting tomorrow re the Crouch report, I hope they understand the weight of support there is for the bulk of the recommendations.  Note I said hope rather than expect and unfortunately there are a number of CEOs of PL clubs who haven't helped their case over the past week on various media.

On a related note, SD Europe has released a 'Practical Guide to Supporter Liasion' - https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/026f-13cca3e5461b-a462a58818bb-1000/uefa_practical_guide_to_supporter_liaison.pdf - I have only skimmed it, but there looks to be lots of good examples from across Europe (at various levels) as to how a Supporter Liasion person / team can benefit both supporters and clubs, not sure SLOs or fan engagement feature highly on SC's 'things to do' list maybe, just maybe, they should.  Not sure who he has lined up as his next guest on his podcast but Fair Game have been on numerous podcasts in the past couple of weeks so would be good to hear them discuss the issues with SC who I think probably has more in common with those PL CEOs

The latest news from Derby County and supporters comments should help the cause. Who can deny that something seriously needs doing in the world of football?

A whole host of Derby County fans on Twitter have reacted furiously to find out their club could be liquidated.

Derby have been hit extremely hard this season both on and off the pitch, as they have been deducted 21 points by the EFL which sees them sit bottom of the Championship and facing a £20m dispute with HMRC.

The Daily Mail has revealed that potential buyers of the club are concerned that the Rams could face liquidation unless HMRC writes off £20m worth of debt taken up by former owner Mel Morris and this amount of debt is what’s putting off would-be investors, the same report claims.

A lot of Derby fans are furious on Twitter with this latest claim.

What have these Derby fans been saying?
“Terrifying reality.”

@AlEvans33

“There is only one person to blame and that is Mel Morris”

@jordie_DCFC_

“Heartbroken. Lost. Gutted. and nothing is even confirmed yet”

@joedcfcsmith15

“I still can’t fathom how or why Mel Morris hasn’t been arrested for non paying of taxes. He was the owner, signing the cheques and refusing to pay what he owed.”

@RamsFanatic1884

“Shameful , absolutely shameful.”

@Marsha1051

“Nothing has changed! This has always been the issue and my greatest fear. Praying HMRC are prepared to negotiate, something must be better than nothing (yes I understand all the comments about setting a precedent).”

@BelvoirRam

"Absolutely shameful".
Aaron Hindhaugh  20 mins ago

This season is now certainly about damage limitation for Derby and getting things sorted off the pitch, as they’re 19 points from safety and will almost certainly be in League One next campaign, but if they can get in some new and competent owners, they could embark on a new dawn.

Football Club owners looking for others to pay their debts again.   :banghead;

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 05:24:25 PM »
A whole host of Derby County fans on Twitter have reacted furiously to find out their club could be liquidated.

Derby have been hit extremely hard this season both on and off the pitch, as they have been deducted 21 points by the EFL which sees them sit bottom of the Championship and facing a £20m dispute with HMRC.

This may sound uncharitable, particularly having been a fan of a team on the receiving end of an HMRC winding up order, albeit for a much smaller value, but I hope HMRC don't 'do a deal' as a line has to be drawn somewhere and being too big / too historic / too whatever to be allowed to fail is no excuse for not paying your bills and just strengthens the need for an independent regulator.  For every Derby that has been spared there is always a Wycombe who have suffered.

This season is now certainly about damage limitation for Derby and getting things sorted off the pitch, as they’re 19 points from safety and will almost certainly be in League One next campaign, but if they can get in some new and competent owners, they could embark on a new dawn.

Football Club owners looking for others to pay their debts again.   :banghead;

Just for a bit of balance, I don't think it is just football club owners who look for others to pay their debts, just look how many comments about Lynn this season have said we need a new owner who will 'invest' in the club(!!!), completely ignoring the level of debt we have accumulated financially doping our way to the NL

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 06:01:27 PM »

This may sound uncharitable, particularly having been a fan of a team on the receiving end of an HMRC winding up order, albeit for a much smaller value, but I hope HMRC don't 'do a deal' as a line has to be drawn somewhere and being too big / too historic / too whatever to be allowed to fail is no excuse for not paying your bills and just strengthens the need for an independent regulator.  For every Derby that has been spared there is always a Wycombe who have suffered.

Not uncharitable at all.Common sense. If one Club was to get it, everyone in a similar position would have to be given it. I suppose if a deal is refused, we'll have another Chairman saying "it's not my fault". All these Clubs need to stand on their own two feet. Always trying to play the history/community card.

Amazes me that so many Clubs are owned/controlled by (supposedly) successful business people, but when it comes to running a football club, come up far short of the mark.

Why is that?   :dontknow:

Crazy!

Just for a bit of balance, I don't think it is just football club owners who look for others to pay their debts, just look how many comments about Lynn this season have said we need a new owner who will 'invest' in the club(!!!), completely ignoring the level of debt we have accumulated financially doping our way to the NL

Slight difference here Tony. Where the Club owners appear to want others to pay their debts, some fans appear to want others (usually a Clubs owners) to pay for their entertainment. Bit of a vicious circle really.

Although we are not party to knowing the amount of debt the Club is actually in (was some of loan money used to reduce some of the debts? If so, which ones?), I have to agree with you with regards to the potential of a new owner. Seems pointless people calling for a new owner, unless the current one wants to walk away and take the debts with him (unlikely).

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 06:22:04 PM »
Taking over a Football Ckub is where all sanity seems to go out of the window.  Successful businessmen seem to lose al sense of reality and business accrument has no meaning.

Maybe it could be defined as an ‘illness’

Gordon Chilvers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 08:18:32 PM »
What other businesses do we know that owe HMRC 20 million or even 20000. You the public are picking up the tab paying YOUR taxes!
Also being a Forest supporter myself no sympathy especially when Rooney is still being fully paid, on time every week when the players are not being paid likewise the businesses that are owed big time.
So sorry its about time HMRC set a precedent and then perhaps a lot more companies would pay up on time! Might lessen the load then on Joe Public. Not holding my breath though.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 02:02:06 PM »
What other businesses do we know that owe HMRC 20 million or even 20000. You the public are picking up the tab paying YOUR taxes!...

Owing HMRC £20,000 wouldn't be that much, my guess is their monthly PAYE bill would be far, far in excess of that but £20M is a different kettle of fish.

Taking over a Football Ckub is where all sanity seems to go out of the window.  Successful businessmen seem to lose al sense of reality and business accrument has no meaning.

The problem is in the benefactor model owned clubs there are rarely any 'voices of reason' or even 'checks and balances' as owners and fans whip each other up into that cycle of spending that 'little bit more' which will achieve success / retain our current level.  I hate to point fingers Mall but you are often on here talking about 'speculating to accumulate' which to most outside of the Walks could be translated as throwing good money after bad, after all what are you hoping to 'accumulate' by 'speculating' money the club doesn't have to provide a short term fix which could potentially lead to a worse longer term problem?

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 02:06:18 PM »
A view from a (non-PL) owner - https://www.fairgameuk.org/press-releases/accringtonstanley

Maybe Andy might be a less confrontational guest for SC and his podcast?  After all Andy has also 'bought a club'?

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 02:09:09 PM »
Fair point Tony.   However my interpretation of that is.  The money needs to there to put together a competitive side.   It’s proven the Lynn fans will turnout in decent number to watch a successful team.  However a budget team that struggles will leave you with die hard fans.

You pays your money and take your pick. Spend sod all and no one comes.  A decent budget and you could well pull in some decent crowds.

Teams that are successful are those spending the money.

Kevin Holland

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 03:36:04 PM »
Fair point Tony.   However my interpretation of that is.  The money needs to there to put together a competitive side.   It’s proven the Lynn fans will turnout in decent number to watch a successful team.  However a budget team that struggles will leave you with die hard fans.

You pays your money and take your pick. Spend sod all and no one comes.  A decent budget and you could well pull in some decent crowds.

Teams that are successful are those spending the money.

I see the exact opposite as a recipe for success.

Build an income stream by providing a football club that is part of a community,  set a budget based upon realistic financial income and don't spend more than you can earn.

That way, any club will find it's natural level.

Success to me is not always about winning in the short term.
Make every day a Sun day.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 04:01:32 PM »
All about opinions.   It’s been proven at Lynn that a successful side will bring in the punters.  Decent gates even at step 5 with a successful side.  Struggling at Step 1 won’t bring in the locals in big numbers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal