Author Topic: What Chance Notts County Game Going Ahead on Tuesday Evening?  (Read 3944 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: What Chance Notts County Game Going Ahead on Tuesday Evening?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2022, 01:58:13 PM »
Why is it that referees are seemingly the only people.qualified to determine whether a pitch is 'playable'?

Because it is part of their duties, in the same way assistant referees check the nets before a game.  Someone has to be responsible and who else would you suggest?

Checking the nets is surely a fairly black and white situation, whereas determining whether a pitch is playable brings many issues into play, leaving much to individual interpretation, unless an objective judgment is made against a set of consistent criteria????

Unless you are thinking there should be independent pitch assessors surely the person best positioned to make 'an objective judgement' is the match referee.  That said, I thought the ref got it wrong on Boxing Day, mainly based on the consistency criteria as we have seen other games go ahead in similar conditions but I still think it was his decision to make, sometimes refs will make decisions that we don't agree with (those who stand near me will atest that I don't always concur with the officials) but that is the nature of having individuals doing the job

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2022, 02:28:22 PM »
With the World of blame culture that we live in a ref worth his salt is always going to err on the side of caution. 

We have recently seen the case of jockey Freddie Tylicki to see what can happen, by someone making a poor decision
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2022, 11:17:56 PM »
Well, I wasn't the only one who disagreed with some of Mr Whitton's decisions this evening, most notably the penalty that wasn't with Notts County adding insult to injury by going straight down the other end to take the lead.  County had some good individuals and opened us up a number of times but seems like an opportunity missed.

Positives for me tonight were Clunan (outstanding), Scott who looks a good find and the general intensity we showed in the first half.  Unfortunately even though Omotayo had a better game and got his first league goal he still doesn't look like someone who is going to help a side to escape relegation, same can probably be said about the other three forwards who came on as subs in the second half.  You can understand why Widdrington (jnr) has been brought in as he gave us a bit more edge in the centre but struggled with the pace of the game, particularly when County upped their game second half. 

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2022, 10:58:00 AM »
Just listened to TW’s post match interview.  He did seem a little disappointed with the result.  Which is a good sign as not many could have seen us expecting anything from this one.

Full steam ahead for a result at lowly NLS side Tonbridge. 

Have to say I was a little disappointed with a couple of sly digs TW had, indirectly at IC.  Culverhouse did win back to back promotions for us.  Including a NLN title.  Let’s hope Tommy can win something with us during his time.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2022, 01:36:59 PM »
Just listened to TW’s post match interview.  He did seem a little disappointed with the result.  Which is a good sign as not many could have seen us expecting anything from this one.

Full steam ahead for a result at lowly NLS side Tonbridge. 

Have to say I was a little disappointed with a couple of sly digs TW had, indirectly at IC.  Culverhouse did win back to back promotions for us.  Including a NLN title.  Let’s hope Tommy can win something with us during his time.

Not sure there is much to disagree with Mall, link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W23MhENCZ30

As for the digs I think he is spot on that the system that Omotayo was asked to play in didn't suit him, the big question is can TW find such a system (I have my doubts, particularly at step 1 but we will see).  It was also a fair point about having a lot of 'similar' players, again going back to the recruitment both this year and last which just wasn't good enough and as for players being 'programmed' I think IC's record speaks for itself, whether you call it programming or philosophy it worked well at the Walks at steps 3 & 2. 

No further comment about players coming in / going out which is a disappointment given TW's history but maybe he is also finding the recruitment difficult for whatever reason (availability, location, £s or a combination of all three)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2022, 02:45:31 PM »
The way it came across Tony is that Gold didn’t fit the system of IC and in a few short weeks TW has waved a magic wand and turned him into what we are missing. Not sure how you feel but I’m not convinced Gold is a NLP player no matter what the system.

Just maybe Tommy is convincing himself and anyone who will listen that Gold is the answer to his striking problem and doesn’t need to bring anyone else in.

Also on the subject of having to many of the same ‘type’ of player then we can expect a few to be on the way. Presumably.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2022, 05:14:13 PM »
The way it came across Tony is that Gold didn’t fit the system of IC and in a few short weeks TW has waved a magic wand and turned him into what we are missing. Not sure how you feel but I’m not convinced Gold is a NLP player no matter what the system.

Just maybe Tommy is convincing himself and anyone who will listen that Gold is the answer to his striking problem and doesn’t need to bring anyone else in.

Also on the subject of having to many of the same ‘type’ of player then we can expect a few to be on the way. Presumably.

If you can't find a decent striker to sign, there's nothing wrong in bigging up the confidence of the ones you already have. Motivational Management.   :scarf:
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2022, 05:22:27 PM »

Not sure who TW was trying to convince (fans, Gold or even himself) but I think you may have got that last sentence back to front - maybe he can't bring anyone else in so therefore Omotayo is the answer to our striking problems by default and no, I am far from convinced there is any sort of system that makes him into a NL centre forward.  I would agree with one thing TW said about him though, he was very good at defensive headers last night but that can't be a justification for playing someone, again maybe TW just finding positives where he can?

TW has signed three which now means we have fit players not even making the bench so you would imagine so, I did say the other week that I thought the comment TW made about being impressed with everyone smacked a bit of not wanting to upset players who he may need in the short term but can't see the point in keeping some of the loanees (McGavin, Fernandez and Linton) when they are getting limited game time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal