Author Topic: Stephen Cleeve - Are You a fan Yes/No  (Read 7749 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Cleeve - Are You a fan Yes/No
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2022, 12:40:32 PM »
The owners dream, is not necessarily the locals dream  Please discuss.

It's certainly not mine. Never was.
another happy in UCL

:laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

Making it up as you go along. Nobody has said anything remotely like that and you are the only person to mention the UCL (although you may like to ask yourself why the previous Club had to play in the UCL a few seasons ago).

:laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

Using a similar logic, are you saying that you are happy for a Club to play at a level it obviously can't afford, and then be in danger of going bust, as long as you can have a couple of years watching your club playing in the NL? 

Just wondering.   :dontknow:
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2022, 01:28:26 PM »
Kings Lynn are a mid table Step 3 Club.   Anything below we are underachieving anything above and we are punching.

Talking of the UCL.  Fans use to turn up in big numbers to watch us to stick to the likes Kempston, Holbeach etc.   So obviously there was plenty who did like that level.... even though we never won it.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2022, 01:50:13 PM »
Kings Lynn are a mid table Step 3 Club.   Anything below we are underachieving anything above and we are punching.

Talking of the UCL.  Fans use to turn up in big numbers to watch us to stick to the likes Kempston, Holbeach etc.   So obviously there was plenty who did like that level.... even though we never won it.

Further proof if needed that just chucking money at it very rarely works. Big fish, small pond and we still needed the wind to be in our favour to get promoted, even at that level.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2022, 01:51:29 PM »
Winning games, ideally with a couple of local players in the team will usually attract bigger gates than will a consistently underperforming side in a higher league.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2022, 02:21:24 PM »

Interesting view to start a discussion but I think a well run club at the Walks should be capable of operating sustainably above that (be that playoff step 3 / lower half step 2) and if it did get some momentum then could certainly build to become a solid step 2 side.  Unfortunately as the previous regime (Bobbins etc) showed a poorly run side can't operate at the level, at least not if it has to pay it's taxes and Buster could only make mid table at step 3 pay but again there was little to no fan involvement in his set up so maybe that is the missing element to enable a higher level operation viable.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2022, 04:33:53 PM »
The owners dream, is not necessarily the locals dream  Please discuss.
your dream Marcus UCL Football

That's my dream sorted then. Now what's your dream Loopy ?  Now don't be shy,  a sensible answer is always welcome.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2022, 04:43:05 PM »

Interesting view to start a discussion but I think a well run club at the Walks should be capable of operating sustainably above that (be that playoff step 3 / lower half step 2) and if it did get some momentum then could certainly build to become a solid step 2 side.  Unfortunately as the previous regime (Bobbins etc) showed a poorly run side can't operate at the level, at least not if it has to pay it's taxes and Buster could only make mid table at step 3 pay but again there was little to no fan involvement in his set up so maybe that is the missing element to enable a higher level operation viable.

We can always achieve more,  but with the current infrastructure in place I feel it’s a step 3 set up. Then again we could achieve more with maybe  something along the lines of Wrexham where people have come in with big money and fans have bought into this.  I’m just basing it on what we see at the club currently and for the last X number of years.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2022, 05:59:16 PM »
Won't be long before Heacham reach UCL status, real derby game that one? :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one.

Anton

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2022, 07:22:27 PM »
The way I see it is, Makes no difference how much money you spend if you don't spend it wisely. Some of the players we have are a waste of space in my opinion.  One of the biggest problems we have is where we are located in England, however I can't see what difference it makes, but over the years it has :sad:  We had a better following when we were in a lower division, although we were winning games then.   Maybe this league is beyond our scope unless we have the infrastructure. SC has done a lot for this club and has got to where we are today..Can we go any further with our present set-up, I doubt it. Something has to change one way or another.  :laughcry:

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2022, 09:42:24 PM »
Well maybe Tommy has been brought in to get us out of this League.  Come May I think he will have accomplished that.

Anton

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2022, 01:02:09 PM »
Can't see how we can avoid the drop Mallard! If we did then next season we would need a change most of our players.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2022, 01:48:50 PM »
Interesting comments from the Borehamwood chairman in last weekends programme notes, wonder if SC read them?  https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/uncategorized/chairmans-notes-kings-lynn-town-h/

Couple of quotes to highlight with my thoughts at the end of each.
* "Throughout my tenure I’ve always tried to think of the bigger picture, by improving not only the things the fans wanted on the pitch but also the structures that would allow the club to thrive off the pitch, in terms of an ever-improving facility and a vision that will I hope stretch itself to one day put us in the Football League."  - not putting the cart before the horse
* "When I look back to my inexperienced arrival here in 1999, I have to acknowledge that I failed to improve things on and off the pitch quickly enough in those very early years ... because we all worked so hard together to overcome many of my shortcomings, that I learnt so quickly, and it’s a fact that when I did get things wrong which was often, you always stood by me because, as I said earlier, “god loves a trier” and for that you will always have my eternal thanks" - working together seems to be the message, even for a club predominantly owned and funded by a sole benefactor
* "that it was the supporter’s patience and trust, that allowed me to stand the test of time as your Chairman" - moral for us all there?

Now, there may well be a bit of rose tinted glasses by Mr Hunter when looking back over his tenure and the fact that they are going to Bournmouth in the cup next weekend will help that 'warm glow' but equally there are some valid points in there too.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2022, 01:50:28 PM »
Interesting comments from the Borehamwood chairman in last weekends programme notes, wonder if SC read them?  https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/uncategorized/chairmans-notes-kings-lynn-town-h/

Couple of quotes to highlight with my thoughts at the end of each.
* "Throughout my tenure I’ve always tried to think of the bigger picture, by improving not only the things the fans wanted on the pitch but also the structures that would allow the club to thrive off the pitch, in terms of an ever-improving facility and a vision that will I hope stretch itself to one day put us in the Football League."  - not putting the cart before the horse
* "When I look back to my inexperienced arrival here in 1999, I have to acknowledge that I failed to improve things on and off the pitch quickly enough in those very early years ... because we all worked so hard together to overcome many of my shortcomings, that I learnt so quickly, and it’s a fact that when I did get things wrong which was often, you always stood by me because, as I said earlier, “god loves a trier” and for that you will always have my eternal thanks" - working together seems to be the message, even for a club predominantly owned and funded by a sole benefactor
* "that it was the supporter’s patience and trust, that allowed me to stand the test of time as your Chairman" - moral for us all there?

Now, there may well be a bit of rose tinted glasses by Mr Hunter when looking back over his tenure and the fact that they are going to Bournmouth in the cup next weekend will help that 'warm glow' but equally there are some valid points in there too.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal