Author Topic: Southend (21st January)  (Read 4330 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Southend (21st January)
« on: January 20, 2022, 01:49:56 PM »
Aside from the opening day at the Walks, Southend have had a pretty poor start to life in the NL but things seem to be picking up for them with two wins already in January and with their transfer ban lifted they are also starting to sign players, including a new centre forward signed today https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2022/january/blues-sign-cardwell/

Closer to home, we have signed Walker after his (unimpressive imo) loan spell earlier in the year and TW is on record saying he is signing starters not squad players so presumably we will have a change of shape tomorrow evening.  I still really don't know what to expect from a TW team, to date he seems to have picked roughly what IC did which isn't unreasonably given he has roughly the same squad but now with four TW additions (KB loan extended, TW jnr, Scott and Walker) and McFaddon and Denton back to fitness TW needs to find a set up that gets more out of his expanded squad than IC managed.  Personally I think a point would be a good result, Southend have improved and I don't think we look much closer to keeping a clean sheet or scoring than we did under IC.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
Re: Southend (21st January)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 04:34:21 PM »
Harry Cardwell.

Story I was told is that IC had him on the radar but wasn't given permission to sign him.   

:dontknow:
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 05:33:02 PM »
So, with another midfielder joining, TW has even more of a selection headache with five in and no departures since he took over.  Assuming we go 4-3-3 to accommodate everyone that TW has signed (unless we adopt the Man City false 9 option), I guess we will look something like:

Jones
Jones, CB, CB, Scott
Phipps, MF, Widdrington
Barrett, Omotayo or KB, Walker

Seems a bit tough on Clunan or Coleman having to the bench if TW really has signed 'starters', I personally don't see Widdrington or Walker being any better than what we had in the squad at the end of November.  Likewise we now look heavily stocked with centre halves although whether you can find any combination that works as a 'pair' rather than 'in a three' is debatable.  Maybe tomorrow nights selection will give a better indication of how we are likely to play for the rest of the season

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 07:33:06 PM »
In Tommy’s pre match interview he says that a few will leaving. 

Also very complimentary about the performance at Tonbridge.   Plus nothing wrong with the strikers we have just not being fed the ball in the right areas.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

Anton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 07:36:35 PM »
Its not midfielder players we need, its a Striker. we want striker who can score goals. Draws are no good to us now, we need wins and pretty quickly if we want to stay in this div.

Anton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 07:42:51 PM »
Quote " Plus nothing wrong with the strikers we have just not being fed the ball in the right areas" Really..Not how I see it..We've had chance to score in some games and nothing from our strikers. And the other night when we lost on penalties, maybe they weren't fed too.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 08:36:06 PM »
According to Tommy against Tonbridge we had enough chances to win two games.  So must have been getting the ball in the right areas for that game.

Tommy does do a good interview.  Can see why he got the job.

After listening to Tommy’s latest interview, Geordies have a saying for that...

Haddaway and ****e

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone

Loopy,linnet

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 06:21:55 PM »
Excuses being put across already ,I know which games we need to win REALLY,I would want a team going out on pitch believing they can win every game and as there’s nowt wrong with our strikers is he having a laugh Gold couldn’t score in a knocking shop even if I paid for him all I’ve heard from day one is sugar coating crap the 3/4/5 people brought in I’m pretty sure could of paid for a striker ,I’ve heard it all our strikers need feeding the ball 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 we need one who can score the one we got can’t even score a penalty

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 07:30:28 PM »
Excuses being put across already ,I know which games we need to win REALLY,I would want a team going out on pitch believing they can win every game and as there’s nowt wrong with our strikers is he having a laugh Gold couldn’t score in a knocking shop even if I paid for him all I’ve heard from day one is sugar coating crap the 3/4/5 people brought in I’m pretty sure could of paid for a striker ,I’ve heard it all our strikers need feeding the ball 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 we need one who can score the one we got can’t even score a penalty

Loopy, I take it you believe that the Chairman has made another mistake when it comes to appointing a Manager.

Why do you think Cleeve appointed TW? He must have seen something that attracted him to him.

AXV

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 09:42:32 PM »
Police please, I'd like to report a robbery

Loopy,linnet

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 10:03:28 PM »

Loopy, I take it you believe that the Chairman has made another mistake when it comes to appointing a Manager.

Why do you think Cleeve appointed TW? He must have seen something that attracted him to him.
if he can’t see what a thousand fans can see then there’s something drastically wrong Gold is not good enough we need a striker He’s brought his son in a coach and 3 more players and no striker I’m sure all those wages would of got a decent striker

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 10:28:24 PM »
Tommy has brought in players 2 coaching staff all signed off by the Chairman. He’s the man the signs the cheques.

Be interesting to see TW’s record compared to Simon Clark’s and at what stage will the Chairman act.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 10:30:36 PM »
It helps currently if you are a Linnets supporter to be a masochist...Rumour has that Gold is going to front a Spandau Ballet tribute band.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal