Author Topic: When Managers blame previous player recruitment.......  (Read 4147 times)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
Re: When Managers blame previous player recruitment.......
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2022, 07:57:13 PM »
That’s all well and good but at some point you have to deliver.  As some in the past have failed to do.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

John H

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2022, 09:31:05 PM »
I'm sure TW has watched his interview back and realizes how he looks, blaming anything and everything apart from himself.
When things weren't going right during IC's reign, Ian would put the blame on himself.
This season both IC and TW have been in charge for 17 games each and they have both won 3 of them. Dover, Nantwich and Weymouth, all home wins under TW. Yeovil, Maidenhead, both away and Peterborough Sports at home under IC.
There has been no improvement under TW, just talk and excuses. Any self respecting person would offer their resignation at the end of the season and say sorry, I failed in what I aimed to achieve. TW's words were "we don't have to win the league, we just have to go up two league places".
We were playing some good football at the start of the season, we just couldn't score. That, even to now hasn't been addressed. When your centre forward has only scored 3 goals all season, you need to do something.
We may never get back to this level, so to get there AND have a 'free hit' season, it's disappointing that we just made up the numbers this season.
Is it time for SC to move on, I'm sure there are others who would be interested.

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2022, 11:04:19 PM »
Well he said in article on Saturday he would sell don't think there will be many takers.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2022, 11:07:04 AM »
Seems like the reason we are 2nd bottom of the League are varied.

1.  Pitch is crap
2.  Officials are crap
3.  Player recruitment was crap
4.  Players themselves are crap.

Maybe Tommy and Stephen should have a look in the mirror so the list can be added to?

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2022, 11:19:44 AM »
According to Steve Rushbrooke on Radio Norfolk a potential manager before Tommy was appointed took a look at training facilities and changed his mind.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2022, 01:35:47 PM »
Seems like the reason we are 2nd bottom of the League are varied.

1.  Pitch is crap
2.  Officials are crap
3.  Player recruitment was crap
4.  Players themselves are crap.

Maybe Tommy and Stephen should have a look in the mirror so the list can be added to?

Mall, I guess you didn't pay full attention to the interview - it isn't the formation or tactics as the players are 'told' what to do by the management team before the game, also one of the coaching team spent most of the first half shouting at Coulson (our experienced leader at the back) about what he needed to do.  I know some people like this more 'passionate' approach, personally I think it opens up all sorts of questions about what they are doing in the week and general competence of the management team both now and especially in the future if we do go back to part-time where there is even less contact time with players and, as a general rule, players have more 'flaws'.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2022, 08:51:37 PM »
Is it time for SC to move on, I'm sure there are others who would be interested.

John, who do think these “others” are?
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2022, 08:32:51 AM »
Our old friend Dennis Greene sacked with Grantham struggling and huge points away from safety.   Maybe resigned to their fate and cost cutting exercise ?

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2022, 11:02:36 AM »
I like TonyM’s take on this.  Managers who scream and shout at players aren’t usually vey successful.  Tactics are overrated.  It is still a simple game that the best players usually win.  Joe Cole at the Seville game said West Ham needed more “passion”, and “there weren’t even bad tackles”.  It took us years of failure with ignorant beliefs like that. I feel that recruitment at our club has indeed been poor, and for two seasons we have hardly had any kind of attacking force.  SC doesn’t deserve as much flack as he gets  because he has shelled out a fortune in the quest for success, but we just need a manager with contacts and an attacking philosophy. - well, not “just”, but they are the two essential ingredients.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2022, 12:28:20 PM »
I like TonyM’s take on this.  Managers who scream and shout at players aren’t usually vey successful.  Tactics are overrated.  It is still a simple game that the best players usually win.  Joe Cole at the Seville game said West Ham needed more “passion”, and “there weren’t even bad tackles”.  It took us years of failure with ignorant beliefs like that. I feel that recruitment at our club has indeed been poor, and for two seasons we have hardly had any kind of attacking force.  SC doesn’t deserve as much flack as he gets  because he has shelled out a fortune in the quest for success, but we just need a manager with contacts and an attacking philosophy. - well, not “just”, but they are the two essential ingredients.

Supporters, Sponsors, ex sponsors, ex Managers, local business's, other Club supporters, users of social media etc etc don't deserve as much flack as they get either!

Shell money out? Its his business/hobby, so who else should do it?
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2022, 12:49:37 PM »
Dilly SC has had five year (?) to get the infrastructure right off the pitch.  The commercial side has been a joke with no one getting to grips with despite some  having a full time position.   If he can’t get it right then of course he is going to end up paying.  We have seen where SC has tried to pass some of it on to the paying public.   Look where that got him.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2022, 01:39:01 PM »

Sorry Dilly but just because 'he has shelled out a fortune' does not make SC above reproach and where mistakes have been (and continue to be) made I don't think it is unreasonable to highlight them, indeed you could argue that had some of the issues been handled differently SC wouldn't have had to shell out so much of his own cash but maybe he is happy paying that price just to be the sole decision maker on all things which he is well within his rights to decide as things are currently structured.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2022, 02:18:52 PM »
SC started to 'get it wrong' almost from day one. He needed to win over the local community and particularly those who had in the past financially supported the club via sponsorship...The off field and critically important funding 'bread and butter'..

I am not sitting in judgement but certain of his alleged past business activity prior to him buying our club made the taking of a constructive, collaborative approach an absolute imperative. But instead his approach at times was dictatorial, giving certain potential sponsors the impression that he was doing them a favour.

What might have been?

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2022, 03:30:34 PM »
Not to mention the over inflated prices being quoted.  The admission charges were the most visible but figures on sponsorship did little to encourage Companies to climb onboard.  I seem to think one of SC’s companies have been involved in Sponsorship for a few years.  What is the point in that ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal