Author Topic: Sensible suggestions  (Read 1655 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Sensible suggestions
« on: March 22, 2022, 01:40:19 PM »
I finally got round to reading SC's column in last weeks programme.  Much of it continues the theme that current crowds don't support a NL (or NLN) operation but there is also an appeal for "any sensible suggestions" as to what more can be done to increase revenue and that he would be very keen "to have a call or meeting to discuss what can be done"

The cynic in me says we have been here before but equally the optimist says maybe, just maybe, SC has finally realised that his way of doing things isn't working.  Given that SC and the Trust don't have any sort of working relationship and the FotL seem to have struggled so badly this season is there any other way to develop fan engagement?  Currently the fanbase is pretty fractured both within those still turning up at the Walks as well as the many individuals who would class themselves as fans but no longer attend games for whatever reason, so is there anything that could be done to bring the fans closer together?  I personally like the idea of supporter 'shadow boards' but SC seemed pretty resistant in a recent podcast although he clearly hadn't much idea of how they worked successfully at other clubs so maybe that could still be an option.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
Re: Sensible suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 03:24:59 PM »
I finally got round to reading SC's column in last weeks programme.  Much of it continues the theme that current crowds don't support a NL (or NLN) operation but there is also an appeal for "any sensible suggestions" as to what more can be done to increase revenue and that he would be very keen "to have a call or meeting to discuss what can be done"

The cynic in me says we have been here before but equally the optimist says maybe, just maybe, SC has finally realised that his way of doing things isn't working.  Given that SC and the Trust don't have any sort of working relationship and the FotL seem to have struggled so badly this season is there any other way to develop fan engagement?  Currently the fanbase is pretty fractured both within those still turning up at the Walks as well as the many individuals who would class themselves as fans but no longer attend games for whatever reason, so is there anything that could be done to bring the fans closer together?  I personally like the idea of supporter 'shadow boards' but SC seemed pretty resistant in a recent podcast although he clearly hadn't much idea of how they worked successfully at other clubs so maybe that could still be an option.

Wishing you well with your efforts Tony.

............................................just maybe, SC has finally realised that his way of doing things isn't working. 

I think it may be a bit of chicken and egg here. Maybe the first point of call is to SC himself, and to see if he believes this is the case. Depending on the answer, you may then get more people coming forward with the requested suggestions.   :dontknow:
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 04:28:36 PM »
Had a listen to Stephen latest podcast.  The guest was a guy from Stockport who was 40 years standing there.  He made some interesting points to SC about how Stockport engage with its supporters and gives them total value for money with the match day experience.   It seems it not all about the 90 mins on the field that offers the value.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 05:09:03 PM »
Had a listen to Stephen latest podcast.  The guest was a guy from Stockport who was 40 years standing there.  He made some interesting points to SC about how Stockport engage with its supporters and gives them total value for money with the match day experience.   It seems it not all about the 90 mins on the field that offers the value.

Common sense, self awareness, Trust and trust.......for stsrters.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 07:03:20 AM »
Anyone can raise funds to assist the club,you don't have to be part of the Trust or part of the Friends to help? Individuals can take it upon themselves to approach Mr Cleeve and discuss fund raising ideas? These ideas could range from something as simple as Stan doing a bucket collection or organising a masquerade ball in the ballroom at the Dukes head? Alternatively join the Trust or the FOTL or both and get involved,I know that the FOTL would love to see new members come forward to join the committee and provide some new ideas. And contrary to popular belief the Trust and the FOTL can work together as we have seen in the past,and I hope to see again in the future. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 01:27:32 PM »
Anyone can raise funds to assist the club,you don't have to be part of the Trust or part of the Friends to help? Individuals can take it upon themselves to approach Mr Cleeve and discuss fund raising ideas? These ideas could range from something as simple as Stan doing a bucket collection or organising a masquerade ball in the ballroom at the Dukes head? Alternatively join the Trust or the FOTL or both and get involved,I know that the FOTL would love to see new members come forward to join the committee and provide some new ideas. And contrary to popular belief the Trust and the FOTL can work together as we have seen in the past,and I hope to see again in the future. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Griss, I appreciate what you are saying that 'anyone' can do things to raise funds but far, far better imo for it to go through a proper organised channel such as FotL as those who contribute can be assured that the funds do go to the club (this can't be guaranteed with an individuals 'go fund me' account for example) and also, and maybe more importantly, there needs to be structures in and around the club that exist so that fans can collectively feel connected to the club, at least that is a pattern across the country but sadly lacking at the Walks, certainly since reformation.  Unfortunately building up the Trust and/or FotL are both long term operations and that doesn't really tie in with ultra short termist view of the club and some fans.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal