Author Topic: Cleeve article in edp  (Read 8252 times)

John H

• View Profile
Re: Cleeve article in edp
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2022, 09:49:46 PM »
SC said that getting to League 1 is the hardest thing, saying that once there we would hold our own or words to that effect. Well we got to the National League and now look, two seasons in relegation positions, last year didn’t matter.
Of course this league has several ex league clubs, when they get relegated they’re not good enough to go straight back up, this is a good league as Southend have found out. I admire his ambition and deserves credit, however this season hasn’t seen the recruitment that was required.
We do still have a glamour of hope of staying up, but it’s a tall order. TW has got the team playing better, so if we can keep our current form going and Aldershot and Weymouth continue to drop points, there’s a chance. We don’t play on the last day of the season, that could be an advantage for them.

John H

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2022, 01:22:13 PM »
Agree Jenny, SC is in some sort of fantasy world when it comes to thinking we are capable of getting to league 1.
However, there are 3 teams in there now, who we used to play - Burton Albion, Cheltenham and Morecambe, seems a long time ago though.
I stated watching Lynn around 1970. The current level is something we couldn’t have imagined after reforming, we did get some good fortune getting here, but who cares, we got here. For me, the disappointing thing is that we didn’t strengthen the team, when it was clearly evident that we weren’t scoring goals. We kept expecting a forward signing, but it never happened. Josh Barrett is a midfielder and currently our leading scorer. Shame that Joe Taylor wasn’t brought in earlier on. I think he played just the once as a substitute, then was signed by Peterborough.
TW still has genuine belief that we can stay up and current form of ourselves, Aldershot and Weymouth are quite favourable. Aldershot are 7 points ahead and have a game in hand, but have only scored once in their last 6 games and gained just 1 point. We have gained 8 points from our last 6 games.
Hopefully we can get a win at Dover, but can’t afford complacency and if Eastleigh can get at least a draw at Aldershot, then just maybe.
It would be a great shame to have only had 1 real season at this level. It does however cost a lot of money to be at this level and our attendances haven’t been great, I wonder what they might have been if we had been comfortably in mid table.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2022, 01:39:27 PM »
Agree Jenny, SC is in some sort of fantasy world when it comes to thinking we are capable of getting to league 1.
However, there are 3 teams in there now, who we used to play - Burton Albion, Cheltenham and Morecambe, seems a long time ago though.
I stated watching Lynn around 1970. The current level is something we couldn’t have imagined after reforming, we did get some good fortune getting here, but who cares, we got here. For me, the disappointing thing is that we didn’t strengthen the team, when it was clearly evident that we weren’t scoring goals. We kept expecting a forward signing, but it never happened. Josh Barrett is a midfielder and currently our leading scorer. Shame that Joe Taylor wasn’t brought in earlier on. I think he played just the once as a substitute, then was signed by Peterborough.
TW still has genuine belief that we can stay up and current form of ourselves, Aldershot and Weymouth are quite favourable. Aldershot are 7 points ahead and have a game in hand, but have only scored once in their last 6 games and gained just 1 point. We have gained 8 points from our last 6 games.
Hopefully we can get a win at Dover, but can’t afford complacency and if Eastleigh can get at least a draw at Aldershot, then just maybe.
It would be a great shame to have only had 1 real season at this level. It does however cost a lot of money to be at this level and our attendances haven’t been great, I wonder what they might have been if we had been comfortably in mid table.

Nice post John.

If by some miracle, we do stay up what can we expect next season?

More of the same?

I doubt we will see any major sponsorship deals or outside investment. We all know that talk is cheap but to fund a football club at this level isn't.

Without SC pumping in far more than he already has, sooner or later we will be dropping one, maybe two levels and playing the standard of football the club can really afford.

How can anyone talk about league football, let alone Div one, when it appears they are struggling to fund NL level?

I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2022, 02:07:40 PM »
Yes, really difficult because as fans on a Saturday afternoon we all like to see our team win and the game against Halifax was a great day for many of us who have endured some pretty awful football under both IC and TW this season.  However, realistically I can't say I want us to stay up as I fear another season at NL level could put the club into an even worse financial position, possibly irrecoverable, having presumably burnt through a good part of the Sport England loan and being another year closer to having to start to repay it.  The club has to find a level where it can start to become more sustainable and I just can't see how that can be achieved in the NL when costs are higher and even though there are a few big away followings that is more than offset by the lack of floating home supporters who need good football / a winning team to get them to the Walks. 

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2022, 07:56:58 PM »
If mad rumours are to be believed then the latest one to reach my shell like is corker. Apparently there will be a musical extravaganza coming to the walks in the summer, courtesy of Twisted Melon promotions, headline act Howard Donald ex Take That, although personally I would prefer Howard the duck. Major DJ making an appearance not sure whether it is Bez or DJ Flames. Should pull a few quid in? :dontknow:
Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one.

poshlinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2022, 08:55:14 PM »
Apparently there will be a musical extravaganza coming to the walks in the summer…..

That’ll do the “playing surface” a world of good…..

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2022, 09:21:45 PM »
Apparently there will be a musical extravaganza coming to the walks in the summer…..

That’ll do the “playing surface” a world of good…..

Maybe our 3G pitch will be down by then? :dontknow:

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2022, 10:32:34 PM »
Major DJ making an appearance not sure whether it is Bez or DJ Flames. Should pull a few quid in? :dontknow:

Ones performance is gonna burn da house down, and the other wouldn't notice if he did.  :laughcry:

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2022, 01:27:21 PM »
Seems Griss source is a bit closer on this one, although with our final home game being 30th April, assume this event will be in the B&G rather than on the pitch
<br /><br />

I can't imagine the B&G can really hold sufficient numbers to make something like this pay (nowhere near the capacity of say UEA or Epic in Norwich) but happy to be proved wrong and hope it is a success

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2022, 01:53:52 PM »
Seems Griss source is a bit closer on this one, although with our final home game being 30th April, assume this event will be in the B&G rather than on the pitch
<br /><br />

I can't imagine the B&G can really hold sufficient numbers to make something like this pay (nowhere near the capacity of say UEA or Epic in Norwich) but happy to be proved wrong and hope it is a success

I've known Bez to do gigs previously at venues the size of the B & G Club.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2022, 01:59:24 PM »
I've known Bez to do gigs previously at venues the size of the B & G Club.

Fair enough, not my sort of music so wasn't really sure what sort of crowd to expect but would have thought he would be charging 'proper money' which would quickly eat into the £20/ticket price, maybe the club are just hoping to make their money on the bar?  Someone told me what the UEA charge for an evening and couldn't believe anyone could really make an event there pay once you have paid for the act, etc but they seem to be busy with promoters booking it so there is money to be made in gigs somewhere.

Twisted Melon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2022, 04:20:19 PM »
Here’s the info on the Bez show from the horses mouth 😀.
Yep it’s in the Blue & Gold and also features live act Franko Fraize plus some decent local DJ’s.
We did a very successful show in the B&G with punk act Snuff last month so thought we’d put on a few more. As well as the Bez show on the 29th April we have Youth Killed It on the 21st May.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2022, 04:41:05 PM »
Here’s the info on the Bez show from the horses mouth 😀.
Yep it’s in the Blue & Gold and also features live act Franko Fraize plus some decent local DJ’s.
We did a very successful show in the B&G with punk act Snuff last month so thought we’d put on a few more. As well as the Bez show on the 29th April we have Youth Killed It on the 21st May.

So are you charging the club or the club charging you? :dontknow:

Twisted Melon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2022, 05:39:09 PM »
Why would the club pay me?

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2022, 07:06:36 PM »
Why would the club pay me?

You don't normally do anything for nothing? :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal