Author Topic: Gary Setchell  (Read 1824 times)

Loopy,linnet

• Moderated
    • View Profile
Gary Setchell
« on: April 18, 2022, 05:00:48 PM »
 I see he won the league given the budgets culverhouse and rock on tommy have had I just wonder how Setch would have performed if cleeve had an ounce sense he go get him back

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • No tilting at Windmills.
    • View Profile
Re: Gary Setchell
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 06:12:33 PM »
I see he won the league given the budgets culverhouse and rock on tommy have had I just wonder how Setch would have performed if cleeve had an ounce sense he go get him back

Well done Gary.  :cup2:

No game today?  :dontknow:
History states that Nero fiddled, as Rome burned.

John H

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 06:22:01 PM »
Well done to Setch and Bedford. Culverhouse was a class manager with good contacts, not impressed with Widdrington. Not bringing a forward in has contributed to us getting relegated. It amuses me how he goes on about our opponents are really league clubs, maybe once upon a time, but not at present. Cleave has done well for the club, but there isnít enough paying fans to sustain National League football at full time level.
Getting relegated is part of football, hopefully we can get to this level again and do things a bit better.

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 07:12:28 PM »

Well done Gary.  :cup2:

No game today?  :dontknow:

Good one Gary Drew 1-1 today at Snots

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 06:40:32 PM »
Setch has done a great job over at The Eyrie.  To win the League with still a good few games to go is no mean feat. Few players with Lynn connections onboard over there as well.

Makes you wonder what Setch would have done with a budget the size of what Tommy has enjoyed.  Any worse than get us relegated ?  Hardly.  Then again if Culverhouse had been given that budget at the start of the season and been permitted to bring in the players he wanted to, again we could have been looking at a different end result.

Looks as though Culverhouse has hit the ground running at Latimer Park and is sitting a point outside the play-offs.  How ironic would it be if both Setch and Culverhouse both gained promotion while Widdrington took us down.

Next season Tommy will have an excellent chance to redeem himself by being in the hunt for Promotion.  Repeating promotions that both Setch and IC gained for the Club would be a decent achievement for him.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 06:48:45 PM »
Setch has done a great job over at The Eyrie.  To win the League with still a good few games to go is no mean feat. Few players with Lynn connections onboard over there as well.

Makes you wonder what Setch would have done with a budget the size of what Tommy has enjoyed.  Any worse than get us relegated ?  Hardly.  Then again if Culverhouse had been given that budget at the start of the season and been permitted to bring in the players he wanted to, again we could have been looking at a different end result.

Looks as though Culverhouse has hit the ground running at Latimer Park and is sitting a point outside the play-offs.  How ironic would it be if both Setch and Culverhouse both gained promotion while Widdrington took us down.

Next season Tommy will have an excellent chance to redeem himself by being in the hunt for Promotion.  Repeating promotions that both Setch and IC gained for the Club would be a decent achievement for him.

Valid points, but what would have happened if the previous failing management team had been replaced earlier and Tommy had been given more time. Do you think he would have kept us up?

I think thereís a good chance he would have done. Personally Iíve got no problem with him having the chance of a full season at it and showing us what he can do (budget permitting).

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 07:19:32 PM »
It seemed quite obvious the relationship between the Chairman and Culverhouse had once again broken down.  It seemed all about who was going to break cover first.  The Chairman seemed liked he was waiting for Culverhouse to walk ( no payout) while the Manager was going to stay in situ till he was fired ( payout).  Seemed a right stalemate.  Surprised Cleeve didnít put the Club first and get rid of someone who didnít want to be there.

I firmly believe if Chairman had supported Culverhouse to the same tune as he did TW and worked with him we would have never got ourselves in the bottom 3. 

Tommy will get some if not all of next season.  Just depends where the Club sits in around November. 

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 07:28:38 PM »

I firmly believe if Chairman had supported Culverhouse to the same tune as he did TW and worked with him we would have never got ourselves in the bottom 3. 

We have no idea what level of support Cleeve offered IC or TW. It could have been the same for both as far as we know.

Maybe one accepted the support on offer whereas the other declined it.   :dontknow:

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 07:43:36 PM »
Tommy brought in 8 new players.  The only ones IC brought in were those signed by the Chairman who were then loaned out by Tommy

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 07:51:17 PM »
Tommy brought in 8 new players.  The only ones IC brought in were those signed by the Chairman who were then loaned out by Tommy

Exactly.

John H

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 07:58:53 PM »
Itís all ifs and buts, but the fact is weíve had two disappointing seasons at this level. Weíve had some very memorable seasons in recent times, so lots of good memories. Going forward I donít feel TW is the right man, his style of play isnít attractive. His body language in post match interviews along with excuses, ie pitch. Well I remember Lynn v Paget Rangers (we won 2-0) on a much worse pitch.
I said we needed to win 4 of our last 6 games, so now we need to win the remaining 4 and hope Aldershot donít pick up more than 4 points in their remaining 6 games, very unlikely however. So it will be back in the NLN and TW if still here will be chirping on about all the Ďbig clubsí who are really football league clubs, or should be in the National League, York, Chester, Hereford etc. He failed his set target of going up just two places. He seemed to think it was not difficult when he first came. He will say his PPG are better than ICís were. Fact is, TW had over half a season, didnít bring in good enough players, didnít bring in any forward and didnít get us out of the relegation spots. Ok, so please tell me why he should be here next season.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 09:25:07 PM »
Itís all ifs and buts, but the fact is weíve had two disappointing seasons at this level. Weíve had some very memorable seasons in recent times, so lots of good memories. Going forward I donít feel TW is the right man, his style of play isnít attractive. His body language in post match interviews along with excuses, ie pitch. Well I remember Lynn v Paget Rangers (we won 2-0) on a much worse pitch.
I said we needed to win 4 of our last 6 games, so now we need to win the remaining 4 and hope Aldershot donít pick up more than 4 points in their remaining 6 games, very unlikely however. So it will be back in the NLN and TW if still here will be chirping on about all the Ďbig clubsí who are really football league clubs, or should be in the National League, York, Chester, Hereford etc. He failed his set target of going up just two places. He seemed to think it was not difficult when he first came. He will say his PPG are better than ICís were. Fact is, TW had over half a season, didnít bring in good enough players, didnít bring in any forward and didnít get us out of the relegation spots. Ok, so please tell me why he should be here next season.

Well, he appears to have a working relationship with the Chairman.

The Chairman and Manager having a good relationship isn't something we've enjoyed since Cleeve bought the Club.

Surely that's got to be a plus point.

Long may it last.

Culverhouse also failed to bring in a new forward. 

Ap

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 10:06:03 PM »

Paget Rangers! There's a blast from the past. There were probably more Lynn fans in attendance v Paget than there were v Grimsby Town too. Gold & Barrett or McNamara & Hudson?

John H

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2022, 06:04:08 PM »
Granted, IC didnít bring in a forward. TW came in and could knew scoring goals was a problem. He signed, I believe 8 players, but not a goal scorer. Recently, weíve been playing some good football, but without scoring, or posing much of a real threat. Had we signed someone in January, maybe we would be above Aldershot now. Anyway, we are where we are and although getting relegated will be disappointing, itís not the end of the world. If TW is here for the start of next season, then I wish him well.

As for Paget Rangers, Iím not sure, but December 23rd rings a bell. Seem to remember it was Christmas time, canít remember the year. I remember the kit, I had a Lynn shirt, which I had McNamara printed on the back. Was the year 1995? They were a good forward painting, also remover Martin Coupe and Kevin Ready, they knew how to score.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2022, 06:31:58 PM »
Granted, IC didnít bring in a forward. TW came in and could knew scoring goals was a problem. He signed, I believe 8 players, but not a goal scorer. Recently, weíve been playing some good football, but without scoring, or posing much of a real threat. Had we signed someone in January, maybe we would be above Aldershot now. Anyway, we are where we are and although getting relegated will be disappointing, itís not the end of the world. If TW is here for the start of next season, then I wish him well.

:clap:

I'm sure both IC AND TW would have been well aware of the need of a goal scorer. I'm sure both would have tried to sign one.

A player capable of doing the job would cost Loadsa money  :countingmoney:

Could it possibly  be a case of both Managers not being allowed to sign one due to budget restraints, rather than not being capable of finding one?  :dontknow:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal