Author Topic: A different game?  (Read 2006 times)

rod

• View Profile
A different game?
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:26:38 AM »
The recent events surrounding Man U, illustrate once and for all that football at that level is a different game to the one that we enjoy.........................It is no longer a sport - with supposedly anothere multi million pound pay off to a manager for 'failing' and allegedly a 4m fee to Mourinho even before he takes over..................Obscenity is probably a little strong but I would just love to see the day when Sky and BT decide that it is no longer worth extorting money from arm chair 'supporters' to shower such ever increasing riches on the undeserving.

I did not even get around to mentioning the parasitic mega wealthy agents!

GrahamB

Re: A different game?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:42:11 AM »
A colleague at work, in a telephone survey with Sky, was asked the question "would you still subscribe to Sky if Premiership football wasn't available?" It is the second or third time I've heard it is on their agenda to look at cost of their TV rights and as to whether it is good business. They are also rumoured to looking at pay per view for football rather than a monthly sub!

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:12:33 AM »
I'm not trying to make excuses, not even a United fan, but I felt pretty disgusted with how LVG was treated. Literally ten minutes after they had lifted the FA Cup the BBC website was reporting Mourinho taking over as United manager.

Whilst fifth place has been regarded as a failure, how much of a distraction to the players has the managerial soap opera at Old Trafford been since Christmas? I use City's slump in form since the Pellegrini/Guardiola announcement as a case in point here.

Whilst I watch Premier League games, I don't feel anywhere near the same levels of enthusiasm for it as I did maybe ten years ago. I'm sure there are many others like me, although for some the Leicester City story may have reignited some of that passion.

It's surely the only profession in the world where you still get your contract paid off if you are 'sacked'.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 11:28:15 AM »
Is Football really all about the Premier league ?  Last night on BT Sport I watched the 2nd leg of the Promotion/Relegation battle from The Fracken Stadium ( been there a good few times) between Nurnberg and Eichtract Frankfurt.  ( 1-2 on agg)  :cry:  Followed by a re play of the FA Vase Final, Hereford v Morpeth (1-4).  Now that was a nights entertainment. It could have been 10-10  The Cost ?  Zilch

Interesting that Ex Boston player Chris Swailes, 45 years of age was captain of Morpeth and notched.   

New Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 12:09:05 PM »
Be Careful what you wish For!!
Van Gaal bites the dust!
 2 years in and improved generally but sack him and bring in the horrid Mourinho!!
 Sacking culture prevails!!
 When Busby retired; McGuinness, Farrell; Docherty; Big Ron; Sexton over 10 years before Ferguson and he was close to sack!! In that time went down to 2nd Division!!

Same could happen again!!

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 12:11:43 PM »
Where does this all leave Giggs, I wonder?........................Almost a bigger miss than Fergie is David Gill......His succesor has been nothing short of a disaster?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 12:59:03 PM »
NR I think One of those mentioned blotted his copybook by having an affair with  the Physo's wife's.

Didn't George Best Once say about the Doc, when he said Good Morning to you, You had to go outside and check the weather.  :laughcry: