Author Topic: Is TW the right man  (Read 1579 times)

John H

• View Profile
Is TW the right man
« on: May 15, 2022, 07:53:12 PM »
How good really is Tommy Widrington and is he the right man for next season. In Tommy’s 27 league games we got 26 points. That is 0.9629 points per game on average. Based on that, if he had been here all season, we would have got 42.37 points, so ok under what Aldershot got. Would we have still been relegated? Well maybe, maybe not, I’m just pointing out that his 27 league games (result wise) were not overly impressive.
The one thing that i would question is why he didn’t bring in a goal scorer. Had he have done so, we may have gained that extra place and avoided relegation. Next season will be against teams of a lower quality than we faced this season, so how will we judge him. A lot of people are expecting us to at least be in the play offs and some even think we will win the NLN. Tommy will obviously want to win it, so good luck to him, I just hope he can find a better strike partnership.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
Re: Is TW the right man
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 08:05:59 PM »
How good really is Tommy Widrington and is he the right man for next season. In Tommy’s 27 league games we got 26 points. That is 0.9629 points per game on average. Based on that, if he had been here all season, we would have got 42.37 points, so ok under what Aldershot got. Would we have still been relegated? Well maybe, maybe not, I’m just pointing out that his 27 league games (result wise) were not overly impressive.
The one thing that i would question is why he didn’t bring in a goal scorer. Had he have done so, we may have gained that extra place and avoided relegation. Next season will be against teams of a lower quality than we faced this season, so how will we judge him. A lot of people are expecting us to at least be in the play offs and some even think we will win the NLN. Tommy will obviously want to win it, so good luck to him, I just hope he can find a better strike partnership.

My personal opinion is that its worth given him the chance to prove himself.

The .9629 points he achieved could well have been more if he had a full season, as its unlikely he would have let Joe Taylor slip through his fingers.
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

AXV

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 08:27:29 PM »

Whilst stats don't cover this, I think it's worth noting that TW didn't have a pre season, and he had to instill a polar opposite playing style to the team. He also seemed to get GO and ML scoring.
I'm not sure how he will approach the NLN, we surely don't want to go in with an inferiority complex and backs to the wall

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 09:13:05 PM »
Think much will depend on what he is given to get us up their challenging.   Culverhouse. Didn’t have the biggest budget but over archived when we were at this level.   Will Tommy be asked to work the same miracle.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

Loopy,linnet

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 04:01:13 PM »
Not right man we will struggle

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 01:29:31 PM »
Wonder what comment GC will come up with.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 01:51:39 PM »
For me as much depends on what happens off the pitch as on it. 

In TW's favour he seems to have a much better relationship with SC than IC did which is not difficult I guess.  He also improved the physicality of the side, which was most evident in McGavin and Omotayo who looked far better under him.  Loan signings of Phipps and Coulson may well point to reasonable contacts in the Essex area but the signing of Walker maybe proves you can't get everything right

I do worry about whether TW will cope with the budget constraints which will have to exist next year which will exist whether we are full or part-time and comments about training facilities and overnight stops for 'longer' trips point to potential clashes with SC on the horizon.  I think the jury is also still out in terms of TW's style of play and how much of this season was dictated by circumstance and working with what players he had / could attract to the club mid-season and whether we can expect something a little different when it is his squad that starts 2022-23

Personally I think the relationship with SC means TW should be given the nod for next year but I just hope SC and the fans have realistic expectations of what success looks when judging TW

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 01:58:11 PM »
For me as much depends on what happens off the pitch as on it. 

In TW's favour he seems to have a much better relationship with SC than IC did which is not difficult I guess.  He also improved the physicality of the side, which was most evident in McGavin and Omotayo who looked far better under him.  Loan signings of Phipps and Coulson may well point to reasonable contacts in the Essex area but the signing of Walker maybe proves you can't get everything right

I do worry about whether TW will cope with the budget constraints which will have to exist next year which will exist whether we are full or part-time and comments about training facilities and overnight stops for 'longer' trips point to potential clashes with SC on the horizon.  I think the jury is also still out in terms of TW's style of play and how much of this season was dictated by circumstance and working with what players he had / could attract to the club mid-season and whether we can expect something a little different when it is his squad that starts 2022-23

Personally I think the relationship with SC means TW should be given the nod for next year but I just hope SC and the fans have realistic expectations of what success looks when judging TW

:clap: :scarf: :clap: :scarf: :clap: :scarf: :clap: :scarf: :clap: :scarf:  :clap: :scarf: :clap: :scarf:
I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 02:02:30 PM »
Lot of good points in that post Tony.

Good relationship between Chairman and Manager is important and appears to be there at the moment.   A few iffy results will test that.

I thought TW said he would be announcing the players leaving the Club last week.  Issues already ?
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 02:35:37 PM »
All appears to have gone quite on the management front.

Anton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 10:02:25 AM »
Being in charge from the start of the new season wiil be the difference for Tommy Widrington. Time will tell how things pan out over the 1st few games. One thing for sure we do need a good striker even at a lower level. Like the rest of you,I'm waiting to see who stays and who leaves.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal