Author Topic: Retained list  (Read 1983 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • It's a right Kerfuffle.
    • View Profile
Retained list
« on: May 20, 2022, 11:52:27 AM »
Courtesy of the Lynn News:

https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/sport/linnets-announce-retained-list-of-players-9255407/

The Linnets have released the quartet of Joe Gascoigne, Jak Hickman, Arthur Iontton and Cameron King.

The club remain in contract negotiations with the "big four" of Ross Barrows, Michael Clunan, Aaron Jones and Paul Jones, for next season.

Grapevine around the Leagues is saying that the only one likely to stay is Paul Jones, but time will tell on that one.  :dontknow:

Some Clubs still appear to be offering silly money to get the signatures of the players they want.

I don't do drugs and I don't drink.
At my age I can get the same effect just by standing up too fast.

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: Retained list
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 01:30:59 PM »
Courtesy of the Lynn News:

https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/sport/linnets-announce-retained-list-of-players-9255407/

The Linnets have released the quartet of Joe Gascoigne, Jak Hickman, Arthur Iontton and Cameron King.

The club remain in contract negotiations with the "big four" of Ross Barrows, Michael Clunan, Aaron Jones and Paul Jones, for next season.

Grapevine around the Leagues is saying that the only one likely to stay is Paul Jones, but time will tell on that one.  :dontknow:

Some Clubs still appear to be offering silly money to get the signatures of the players they want.

The mistakes made in recruitment continue to hang over the club with the retained list presumably being those offered multi year deals at the start of last season / when they signed:
Baris Altintop, Josh Barrett, Pierce Bird, Daniel Bowry, Kyle Callan-McFadden, Ken Charles, Gold Omotayo, Munashe Sundire
Of those, you would imagine TW would be looking to offload a minimum of Altintop, Bird and Bowry plus question marks remain over McFadden's fitness and whether we really want to go into NLN with a strike force of Omotayo and Charles?

Perhaps more surprising (at least to me) is those who were out of contract that have had their contract extended.  I think Denton and Scott did enough to warrant extensions and Fleming is probably worth looking at for a place in the squad at NLN level, likewise Knowles.  Gyasi seemed to do well with more minutes at Dover so no harm in extending his contract as we drop down where he may be more of a threat or alternatively we may get a fee for him, the exact opposite would be true for Walker who did nothing when on loan and then even less when signed for the latter part of the season.  The extension of TW juniors contract isn't much of a surprise but think there would be better options as he always looked like a stop gap signing

The strength (or otherwise) of the squad does look to hinge on those contract negotiation players and keeping Paul Jones would be a huge positive.  Pretty resigned to Barrows leaving (deserves to stay NL), actually surprised to see Aaron offered a spot as TW tried all and sundry at right back and then there is Clunan - TW continued to play him out of position to facilitate jnr getting a game and he was comfortably player of the season in most peoples eyes but will he and the others from the Culverhouse era think now is the time for pastures new?

All in all, I would have preferred to see less on the retained / extended lists but maybe dropping down to step 2 will mean more are playing at 'their level'?

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 01:50:58 PM »
Big problem seems to be having to retain the players who were already on contract certain some of them are still not wanted bgy TW. Just don't understand extending Walker and possibly his sons contract.  Looks like the 4 players you would like to retain could  be going.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 02:32:13 PM »
Seems the price of failure ( relegation) is to have the option to extend taken and new deals on the table.   That covers 11 players.

Players under contract, option taken plus new deals offered.  That’s some 19 players.   How much wriggle room will that give for new signings ?   Looks like BP will need to hit the ground running to fund all of this.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 03:00:32 PM »
Re-set button appears to have been pressed at Lynn, if not at other clubs.

Presumably, we'll see a lot more movement/encouraging signs when the 4 players in negotiations have decided what they want to do.

Early days.

John H

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 06:10:15 PM »
I don’t have the same optimism as previously for a new season. I’m not a fan of TW, or his style of football. Our forwards were very poor and if we keep any of them, well then expect the same sort of scoring rate. The NLN is still a good league and we will straddle to score with what we appear to be keeping.
Then there is TW’s recruiting skills, umm not impressed, but he managed to keep his step 3 son. Of course I hope I’m wrong. What’s the betting that Peterborough Sports finish above us.

AXV

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 11:10:04 PM »
Just seen that Norwich have released Aston Oxborough, Norfolk born goalkeeper who I believe was at Wealdstone last year

Birc1959

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 06:13:35 AM »
Without the proposed big four on board,  jones x2, barrows, clunan.....I fear for the future of the club in the NLN this season...for me this is a given at the very least if we are to challenge properly next campaign...

Anton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 10:49:59 AM »
Not really what I wanted to hear. Early days yet for the "Big Four" however I can't see us retaining all these 4 players.. See what happens in the next few days/weeks!  :scarf:

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 01:16:24 PM »
Word is Clunan has been offered a lot more by another club. So Lynn might have to revisit their offer to keep him.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it’s all about ?

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 01:53:53 PM »
Probably Peterborough Sports.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 02:48:01 PM »
Probably Peterborough Sports.

Higher! 

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 05:00:00 PM »
Tongue in cheek comment  mind you they always seem to have the cash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal