Author Topic: Freedom of Borough  (Read 4900 times)

Frontman

• View Profile
Freedom of Borough
« on: July 16, 2016, 02:01:34 PM »
As most know Robbie B took up my desire to ask the Council to bestow the Freedom of the Borough on Mick Wright and did some marvellous work before submission. The Council Leader, Mr Daubney (self confessed non footy man) was quite dismissive before Xmas
Just to bring the young supporter up to speed on the Legend!
Mick was born in Northamptonshire and became a very talented footballer who drew the attention of Football League Clubs such as West Ham!
He signed for Northampton Town FC in 1958 and progressed towards the odd 1st Team appearance.  under Dave Bowen and this was a period when they were promoted from the Fourth Division to the First Division in the space of five seasons.

At 19 years old Mick was sent on loan to Kings Lynn FC in 1960-61. He was a Len Richley signing and the Club were on the up culminating in the only appearance in the 3rd Round of FA Cup.

In the 2nd Round, Mick scored the winner in a 2-1 victory at Coventry and the ultimate 3rd Round game at Everton, losing 4-0 but not disgraced.  £4000 cheque was useful reward!

In September 1965 Len Richley left for Bury Town in the 'now' Championship! Mick still has the letter asking him to sign for them but as he was settled in Kings Lynn with Wife Ruth he turned it down.

He worked for Humphries, in Kings Lynn,  tarpaulin manufacturer and repair Company.  There was the prolonged reasonable success in one tier below Football League with Reg Davies (ex Newcastle & Wales) as Manager.

On January 17th 1968 Kings Lynn FC played Corby in what was Micks 445th consecutive appearance! He sustained a ruptured spleen and was operated on in Hospital. Typical of Mick; he tried to discharge himself on the Friday so as not to miss the Saturday game.

High Non League level of Competition was sustained up to the 1970-71 season when the Club embarked on self destruction. Money was no object and overspending did not stop relegation, dropping gates and bankruptcy! 

The Rats jumped ship and the Fraud Squad were interested. 6 or more houses owned by KLFC were sold off cheaply but a mass of debt lingered until 1982.
This is where Mick took on the Managers job in 1971-72 with a meagre budget. The highlight of the season was a replayed FA Cup 2nd Round replayed game which was lost 1-0 at Hereford Utd in front of 12000 people.

Mick stepped down as Manager in 1973 and continued playing until at 39 years old he left the Club having played 1155 games and never been cautioned (yellow carded). He was booked once apparently but it was rescinded at end of game for some reason by the Referee.

He continued at Watton in the Anglian Combination up til his 50th Birthday. In this time he went into business as WWS Tarpaulins and was operating until retirement.

Shortly after this he had a severe stroke which has limited the activity of this special man. However, he is active working with his wife Ruth in their Antiques business in Kings Lynn.

Still sharp in mind; continually a practical joker, who has never been heard to use a swear word over his lifetime!

Mick has contributed enormously to the West Norfolk Community and Business.

In doing so he entertained so many and remains a humble and interesting man!!

He did receive the Lifetime Achievement Award from KLFM / LNews in January. Also Fans put him in the inaugural Hall of Fame.

Frontman

• View Profile
Re: Freedom of Borough
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 02:21:13 PM »
Yesterday we met the New Council Leader Brian Long and Elizabeth Nockholds (cabinet member for culture, heritage and health)! Some 10 nominees had been submitted by Rob! After some 6 months we were told that rather than put it to the Council Chamber, ( as is our right) and embarrass Mick, They had held an informal meet (attendee's unknown to us) and made quite an aggressive assertion that he did not meet the CRITERIA!!
We were talked over, when asking what the Criteria was!
We left knowing this was an un- democratic resolution to the Submission.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 03:12:08 PM »
I have said on many occasions that our democracy is a sham.............So their decision surprises me not at all.

The Fenman

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 03:29:13 PM »
The Criteria for being honoured as a Freeman of a Borough differs, from Borough to Borough. there are 347 Local Authority Areas in the UK that do bestow this honour on it's citizens and you have to do something pretty good to be recognised.

I did a little research before posting this, as i was awarded a watered down version 19 yrs ago by the London Borough of Southwark (Honoury Citizen of Old Bermondsey in Southwark)  and the over arching guideline is not to award these honours to individuals who have excelled in their chosen profession or sport, but in the contribution they have made to a Town/City and it's people.  Usually for voluntary, charity and business contributions.

this comes up on many Local Authority websites...........................................

To be considered, someone should have

'delivered in a way that has brought distinction to borough life and enhanced the borough’s reputation in the area or activity concerned
contributed in a way to improve the lives of those less able to help themselves
demonstrated innovation and entrepreneurship which is delivering results in the borough'

So whilst Mick Wright is truly a local legend and footballing hero who achieved more than many have or ever will, I'm not 100% certain he fits the criteria from what I have read.

The KLFM Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual sports awards certainly is fitting, but as much as it pains me to say it, the Council are probably right on this occasion.

At my other Club, we had a similar debate back in the 90's to honour  Edgar Kail, a one team man who was also the last Amateur to win full England honours and won the FA Amateur Cup 4 times. Instead of going for a Freeman nomination, we opted for something that will last forever in the area, rather on the person.

We applied to the council for a road to be named after him. 

Edgar Kail Way SE22 was unveiled by the local MP in 1997 or 1998.

Maybe the lane from Exons road leading to the car park could be named Mick Wright Way?   or even the The Wright Way as was his demonstration of how football should be played. 

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 05:02:40 PM »
Yesterday we met the New Council Leader Brian Long and Elizabeth Nockholds (cabinet member for culture, heritage and health)! Some 10 nominees had been submitted by Rob! After some 6 months we were told that rather than put it to the Council Chamber, ( as is our right) and embarrass Mick, They had held an informal meet (attendee's unknown to us) and made quite an aggressive assertion that he did not meet the CRITERIA!!
We were talked over, when asking what the Criteria was!
We left knowing this was an un- democratic resolution to the Submission.

obviously no photo opportunity for mrs nockolds then.

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 06:45:19 PM »
I have researched as have you 'Fenman' and have come up with similar variations!
However, they were not clear with their reasons of not meeting Criteria only that they didn't want to embarrass Mick!! Well that's not a problem to him I have ascertained!#
What hit me in Research was;
The freedom most commonly arising today is that of being made an Honorary Freeman of the Borough, which, under the Honorary Freedom of Boroughs Act, 1885, (now replaced by the Local Government Act of 1972), may be conferred by any borough, even though otherwise it has no freemen.
To be granted the title of Honorary Freeman is a mark of distinction upon the person whom the Council wishes to honour. The Freedom itself carries no privilege and is purely an honour, reflecting the eminence of the person on whom it is conferred or as recognition of significant and valuable services rendered to the borough by that person.

I will request clarification from Mr Long on Monday!! We have started; so will finish!!

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 06:51:54 PM »
I was fortunate to have watched Mick from his debut throughout his Linnet career and IMHO although he may not exactly fit the criteria, his contribution to both the club and the local community trancended that of just longevity and statistics.......He was an example to young and old alike in the way he conducted himself both on and off the pitch.........................A true sportsman who really did put sportsmanship and loyalty ahead of personal gain and ambition....A very rare speciman - one of a dying breed!!

Badger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 08:18:48 AM »
Now we know this honour is not going to happen why not do what I have been asking for the club to do for some time.  Name a part of the ground in his honour, ideally the stand opposite the Adrian Flux Stand, or as the hospital has now gone that part of the ground.

I did ask Buster but he wasn't interested, maybe Mr Cleeves might.

Regards - Badger.   :oldman"

somerset linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 01:31:02 PM »
Excellent idea Badger. I await the response from the club with anticipation.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »
Frontman. Didn't Mick also have a spell in charge of Watton in the Jewson Premier League( now Thurlow  Nunn)

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 06:11:42 PM »
Why not the Mick Wright Community Hub

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 09:36:01 PM »
Mallard; you are correct! He was approaching 40 years old when he left for Watton and played til he was 50years old.
Did manage them with Taffy Williams!
We talk about that and Mick does say that it was good as he had had enough of long trips etc.
However, it was brought on by his being named as sub for 1st game of 2nd season in NPL with Bircumshaw & Johnson ahead of him to play Workington!
The Manager made a decision that was not handled brilliantly him and it stunted a great friendship for some time!!

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »
On the playing front and \as a person no one will ever match Micks part in KLFCs story ,watched him for years, and allways had time to speak and share time with you a true legend and nice person.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 07:25:01 PM »
Has Mick ever been put forward for an MBE/OBE or similar?
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
Now there's a thought but I have no idea, or how to go about it?