Author Topic: EDP today.  (Read 4972 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: EDP today.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 12:12:41 PM »
Interesting article from Caney.  Not sure I agree with the way he is cranking up the pressure on Setch because he has brought two new players in,   ( Sand was signed while Buster was still in situ and McAvoy has now departed) and a wet behind the ears ( in Footballing  terms) new owner.  Would be interesting to see the angle the writer is coming from.  Setch has done a decent job since he took over and hopefully he will be given ample time to prove that he can deliver a Promotion chasing side at this level.

Wouldn't you think a paid journo working for the a Company like Argent would have the sense to do his home work before writing.  How does he work out that if Sands had been with us all season we would have been challenging ?  If he was to check the records he would see that while Sands was with us we Won 4 Drew 2 Lost 4.  Hardly the stuff to get a club in the top 5.

Backie9

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 01:37:42 PM »
As stated at the Forum the Gaffas budget is exactly the same as last years and no more at present.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »
Seems an article of half truths and made ups.  The only real thing he got right was how stale it had all gone under the non footballing previous owner.  Good to see that comment in print as opposed to what other person on here would have had us believe.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 01:54:14 PM »
I don't see anything fundamentally incorrect or controversial in the article.....expectations were / have been raised, not least with the signings of Sands and Mettam, who I would imagine are taking up a sizeable chunk of the playing budget. So if as Backie has confirmed there is no increase on last season, that must mean spreading the remainder around fairly thinly?

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 01:57:31 PM »
How does he work out that if Sands had been with us all season we would have been challenging ?  If he was to check the records he would see that while Sands was with us we Won 4 Drew 2 Lost 4.  Hardly the stuff to get a club in the top 5.

Or to look at the statistics another way. The records of both Sands and Mettam in Lynn shirts each average better than a goal every two games. Gavin isn't the only person who's suggested we would've been closer to the top 5 if we'd had Sands earlier on in the season. We left a lot of points out on the pitch last season because all too often we weren't sharp enough in attack. Leamington at home was probably the most glaringly obvious example, but there were plenty of others.

The club wants to increase gates, so it makes noise by signing proven strikers and listening to the fans regarding improving the matchday experience. However you paint it, that will lead to pressure to keep the numbers up. Setch will be well aware of that and to be honest I don't think it will faze him or the players.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 02:01:29 PM »
Not so sure on that one either rod.  If you read the R&D managers comments which seemed to be aimed at Quigley coming back to Lynn.  Unless Miller, Mulready, Smith Bridges, Hurst, Friend were soaking up a lot of the budget.

Maybe that's the answer.  Budget the same but 6 players out 3 in Plus Mills.  Promote a few local lads up from the Reserves who wont cost a lot to fill the bench.

Who is to say that's not the way forward.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 02:05:27 PM »
Robbo, Its points that move you up the table.  Facts are while Sands was here we achieved 16 points out  of the 40 available.  That ratio would not get you in the top 5.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 03:39:36 PM »
Robbo, Its points that move you up the table.  Facts are while Sands was here we achieved 16 points out  of the 40 available.  That ratio would not get you in the top 5.

Yes points do move you up the table, but if you're not scoring goals you're not getting those points.

The ratio of 6 goals in 10 games suggests he is perfectly capable of scoring 20+ in a season for us at this level.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »
There is no doubting Sands can and will score goals.  I was just commenting on what Caney had put in print.  Sands goals last season would not have pushed us into a top 5 place basing it on the points gathered during his short spell with us.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 09:44:14 PM »
Tom Mcleish has shown that he is solid at the back. Jordan Yong, Matt Castellan  and Ryan Fryatt  - with Liam Fryatt and Young Bird as cover seems to be a good full back team. Midfield of Michael Clunan Jacek Zielonka (playing on the left, not on the right) and Quiggs with Sands, Stevo and Mettam up front would be a formidable  team. Pedro in goal and Pearson as reserve and Edge, Hilliard in reserve attack gives us a great chance of pushing for a top slot. Silly yellows could knock back so "zip it" M Clunan. Alex Clunan, and several reserves are knocking at the door. Good times are knocking.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 12:44:23 PM »
I think that a few still have something to prove, not least Jazek who IMO last season failed to consistently deliver what he occasionally promised.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 03:16:59 PM »
Very marmite type of player for me Rod.  Blows hot n Cold to much for me.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 04:34:23 PM »
I am of a similar view, Mallard but very much hope that he goes on to prove me wrong.

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 01:01:11 PM »
As stated at the Forum the Gaffas budget is exactly the same as last years and no more at present.
But you can understand why people may assume otherwise:
"The 2016/2017 admission prices have been separated into three categories and have been set to balance the additional travel expenses in the Evo-Stick Southern Premier Division and an increased playing budget to provide a competitive team."
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”