Author Topic: Soft drinks at the ground.  (Read 24753 times)

rod

• View Profile
Re: Soft drinks at the ground.
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 03:46:11 PM »

From the Chairman, he wanted to me to post this

Hi Rob

Thanks for your email. Drink pricing is very difficult to get right. Pubs open 7 days a week for 12 hours a day, we as a club have just a few hours a week to make enough money to pay for all our costs and make some money that benefits the football team.

As you know we have made a day out as cheap as possible increasing the concession rate from u16 to u19 and keeping free admission for the u11s .  Somewhere along the line we need to make some money, as I cannot fund the team forever and the club needs to stand on its own two feet as soon as possible and ideally make enough money for budgets to be increased.

Just to give you an idea of what it costs to run a club in the last 2 weeks I have had to spend personally 1,500 on disco equipment that Buster took back with him, 1,500 on BBQs, pie warmers and other kitchen equipment to replace the stuff Buster took back to the speedway,  2,000 on fertilizers etc for the pitch, 3,600 on getting the floodlights fixed (bill I still need to pay), 5,000 restocking bars, cafes etc, 3,500 on insurances for the club and players, and 7,000 on a new ticketing system.  This is in addition to the usual expenses that need to be paid our pre season, rent, rates, electric, players travelling costs, kit, stocking new club shop etc.

I really dont think people realize just what it costs to run a small football club. Onto beer and drinks prices. If our supporters support the club, i.e. they come early to the games and drink instead of drinking at other establishments (where none of the money benefits the club) then our volumes go up and prices can be reduced. If however they just use us at half time for a quick pit stop our volumes are low and prices increase, basic economics.

We have done our bit by putting in deals that give reduced  prices for food and drinks to club members which I note that with your hard work, fans are taking up. So the beer price for members is 3.15, which is actually a 35p reduction on last season. Setch had a pint at the weekend in Lynn and he said it was 4, so our prices are very reasonable. In addition we are cleaning the lines every week and the beer now tastes great and is super cold (after I fixed the cellar another bill I received last week).

So beer prices have been reduced, spirits include a mixer (unless it tonic) and have remained unchanged, tea remains the same as do fruitshoots at just 1 and the prices of beer cans and ciders have been reduced to members by 35p and remain the same as last season for everyone else.

There are only 2 prices that have gone up. Our branded pre packed coffee and Cadburys hot chocolate has increased by 50p. We do not have the buying power on our own for this range of drinks that Buster had at the speedway so we were left with a simple choice increase the price by 50p or switch to a polystyrene cup and a spoonful of instant. Rightly or wrongly we chose to increase prices as well as bring back Bovril.

That leaves the prices of coke and diet coke and the rather confusing price list that someone posted on twitter, which only works when explained, something we need to fix.  The cokes at 2.50 are the bottled cokes that you cannot buy in supermarkets, it is only Coke zero and should never have been ordered, the price has been reduced to 2 and once finished will be gone for ever. The price of cans has risen to 1.50 from 1 and the price of a coke in the bar is 1.50 with a pint being 2.50. The coke is not multipack, however after the boxing we ran out of diet coke and the only ones we could get at short notice were from a supermarket (remember fans get the same prices for drinks that the club gets, we cant even usually buy at supermarket prices, some refuse to sell if its for commercial use), they are the same size as normal cans just have the word multipack on them, the same applies to the Fanta as its all we could get at short notice.

You must also remember we have to pay 20% VAT on everything that we sell, supermarkets do not so if we increased the supermarket price by 20% we would make no money at all.

Whenever I am out with my children at cinemas, kids parks etc I look at drinks prices and I really believe that 1.50 is not that much out of the ball park. It could be 20p too high but I am trying to keep our change order for our tills simple and I really thought that fans would not mind putting a few pennies into the club if they happen to drink Coke.

I also went to Costa and Starbucks in Lynn all coffees and chocolates are over 2 many over 3 and again it compares favorably with other establishments, sure a caf is cheaper but they work on volume which we have not got.

If fans actually support the club and pack out the bars from 1pm it will enable us to reduce our prices, so the power rests with them.

As you know someone stole 40 cash from the club office yesterday taken from a fans season ticket renewal money, and that made me very sad that someone who is supposed to be supporting the club is actually stealing from it and its another 40 that I now need to make up.

I hope that the fans realize I am working flat out trying to find a sponsor plus I am pouring thousands into the club so it would be a massive help to the club if they bought people along to the first game and helped the club go forward in a positive manner.

In a word.........gobsmacked!!

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 04:00:30 PM »
What did he get for the 250k he paid Buster.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »
It would seem increasingly likely that Buster could not believe his good fortune?

Nigel nigle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 04:09:31 PM »
I wonder how much it cost to do all of the works to the football ground when he took over - quite a lot i would imagine with all the fixtures and fittings. Anything that could be moved was done so

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 04:35:25 PM »
With large grant from council I thought. I would have thought that if you were paying 250k it would include fixtures as ground is owned by council.beginning to look a lot of money to pay for goodwill.

Neil Timms

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 04:45:28 PM »
In Mr Cleeves defence what 250k did or didnt pay for is probably none of our business. Seems odd that an experienced businessman would not carry out due dillgence. If this was carried out correctly, I am surprised at some of his comments. I'm not sure that seemng to blame supporters for things is a great PR move this early in his ownership.

GrahamB

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
I am sure Mr Cleave had an inventory of KLTFC , I think he is just highlighting the expenditure, extra to the day to day running , that he has had to lay out just to keep things ticking over. This sort of outlay also highlights, to me,  his commitment to the club and I hope he continues to listen to the supporters. His reasoning for the price hikes are valid and understandable but in the same way I don't think you can compare Costa and Starbucks to The walks you have to consider the environment and ambience. With pricing in some instances  "less can be more". Lets hope a sponsor is found to lessen the pressure.   #onwards & upwards  :scarf:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 06:56:22 PM »
Next Setchs club car will be going back to Buster.

Tazzy not thinking the shines out of Buster rear end, surely not.

Surely and experienced businessman like Cleeve will have carried out a due dilgance exercise on the All parts of the club before parting with his money. If not is he somewhat worried about what else is going to be coming out of the woodwork.

The most worrying comment in his posting, for me, is the fact that he doesn't appear to have a main sponsor onboard at this moment. I was of the opinion that with all his connections he would have had them queuing up for the opportunity.

Worrying or exciting times Tazzy?

ChelseaboiKLTFC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 11:09:57 PM »
Nothing wrong with using a catering sized tin of nescafe. Those pre packaged coffee cups often taste like dishwater anyway. I don't get to the ground early enough to make use of the bar, instead when I bring my family we all have something to eat and a soft drink to go with it and probably extra drinks during the game which if we all have extra drinks could whack on an extra 10 a match! Some people may say "oh wow 10" but come on 1.50 for a can of drink??? I will think twice before bringing the whole family in future............or just stick to bar ordered tap water ;) ;) ;) ;) 

Sthlincs linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 10:18:43 PM »
I agree about a good quality instant coffee would be fine.
On a positive note, the home made sausage rolls where quality today and well done Chef. Also see we are now doing chips. 👍

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 06:46:07 PM »
Flask in one pocket bottle of water in the other. That's me sorted for Saturday.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 12:05:39 PM »
Shame though that perceived value for money cannot be established, keeping bith supporter and club happy?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 12:08:49 PM »
I like to take my own drinks, made up the way I like it.   Nothing to do with cost.  Or on a cold drink a certain brand.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 12:21:05 PM »
A local trader here on the seafront still sells all hot beverages for 1 - her coffee is instant and she does a roaring trade, as all around her have gone more up market and charge accordingly! 'Craft, artisan, gastro'....... are more often than not an illusion that attract a premium price but eventually people work this out.

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »
The new owner said people should be happy to pay more, to help the club, and also the staff don't have to mess around giving change.  Going on that reasoning, why not charge a nice round fiver per drink?
I bought no drinks Tuesday, instead of the 2 or 3 I normally have. I was not the only one. Seems the owners logic is wrong.