Author Topic: Sam gaugs  (Read 5260 times)

Louis2001

• Moderated no PM
    • View Profile
Sam gaugs
« on: July 30, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
Brilliant performance today from Sam absolute rock at the back, let's hope he can carry on like that

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
Re: Sam gaugs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 01:54:15 PM »
I'm not convinced by Sam G. He lacks pace; has poor distribution and throws his arms about when outwitted by an opponent as he tries to pin the blame on others. I think that Quigley and Castellan  or Fryatt and Castallan would make better centre back pairings.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 02:50:28 PM »
In addition to his other qualities Fryatt brings some pace to central defence.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 06:42:09 PM »
Sam is a quality player. Ok last season he was carrying a bit of excess timber. This season the guy has a pivotal role to play.

The guy is class for this level

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 10:28:46 AM »
I'm not convinced by Sam G. He lacks pace; has poor distribution and throws his arms about when outwitted by an opponent as he tries to pin the blame on others. I think that Quigley and Castellan  or Fryatt and Castallan would make better centre back pairings.
STAN;  From 10 years old at Norwich Sam was noted as 'Wrong' shape; too slow and small!!  Released at 15yrs old; Tommy Taylor took him into 1st Team at 16 yrs. Peterborough (Ferguson) gave him contract and he played 2 1st Team games pre-season(Celtic one)!  Ferguson sacked and Fry told Sam he would get money for him then released him!! Went to Lowestoft with Fleming and in Conference as skipper! 
Its always intrigued me that one persons hate is another persons love in football!!
Sam has good pace, is 6 foot, and has the important game understanding and reads the game well! Another local Lad Charlie Defty had that latter technical skill!!

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:09:19 AM »
Agrre re Charlie Defty. IMO he never had the opportunites that his abilitiy deserved and was in some ways a victim of his own versitilty. Does anyone know where he is playing now?

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 11:13:01 AM »
So what you are saying Frontman is that Sam has failed at a higher level and has ended up at Lynn in the Southern Prem.
My comments were based on what I have seen from Sam whilst playing for Lynn. Past "glories" are irrelevant.
Sam is a decent player but I think Lynn have stronger centre back options. I hope that I am proven wrong and that he has a blinder this season.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
I always thought Sam would have made a decent holding midfield player.  His biggest attribute is ability to read the game.  A real natural.

I always remember reading about Bobby Moore.  Had no pace, was poor in the air for a central defender, yet he had that ability to always be in the right place at the right time. 

Not saying that Sam is in The Morro class of course.  Just that he is one of those natural players, who just have that certain something.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 12:12:26 PM »
I agree - Sam's major attribute is his reading of the game and that as has been mentioned several times, his natural position now might be that holding mid field role - sometimes referred to as the 'Bunting role' - someone who we have never effectively replaced IMO.

GrahamB

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 12:25:43 PM »
I would not have resigned him, once it was likely Miller was leaving I would have made Ryan club captain  put him  in the  middle with Castellan and signed an established right back to cover Ryan's move. Too slow , plays too deep to accommodate lack of speed , blames all and sundry , out of position a lot with aerial balls then  his clearing header tends to go upwards or backwards! But lets hope Setch is right and I'm wrong

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 12:34:25 PM »
Graham that's why Setch gets paid to manage the players while you pay to watch them.  I know who my moneys on.  :laughcry:

I agree with Rod on Fryatt though, I don't think he is a natural right back and doesn't look one.  He is decent getting forward but I think he looks uncomfortable when he has a player coming at him with in space in behind.  I remember last season where Ryan was given the task of holding the whole back four together in a home game ( we won it against the odds) and the lad of different class.  He really came of age that night.  I would prefer to see Sam and Ryan in the middle, but we have a problem at right back.

Ryan Clarke was the last one we had in that position  who really looked the part.  Before anyone jumps on it and says  Simon Bird.  He did a decent job in off one of game, but wouldn't be up to t that standard week in week out, and anyway I didn't think he could commit to the travelling at this level.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 12:39:26 PM »
I still see Ryan and Matty as the logical centre back pairing going forward.......IMO if Simon Bird's work issues (?) allow I believe that he has the ability to make that right back position his own      but as Mallard says, Setch' gets paid for making the decisions - we just support!

GrahamB

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 12:55:19 PM »
Just an opinion Mallard, which on the forum you seem to have plenty of , sorry mine doesn't agree with yours. Glad we live in a democracy  #Brexit

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 01:45:57 PM »
Graham, really no need to apologise, you are of course entitled to your opinion.  No matter if it differs to mine or anyone's else's   I know You were a big supporter of all things Chapman, which just goes to show we cannot all be right all of the time.  I even include myself in that.  The key to it is when you do get it wrong you stand up and say so.   You will find  on here if you read back Graham when I get it wrong I hold my hand up and call it. 

As a matter of interest Graham how do you see the new owner compared with Buster ? 

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 03:14:55 PM »
Opinions, all about opinions. I preferred Jackson Ramm to Ryan Clarke, he could get forward and he could also deliver a decent cross.

Time will tell with Sam G, both about himself in defence, and also how Matt C copes alongside him, as he's probably going to have to adjust his own game from partnering Miller.

Much was made last season about Sam's ability to play the role in front of the back four. In January/February we saw him have a few good games there, but when we came up against teams with pacy attackers, his lack of pace was often badly exposed.