Author Topic: Goalkeeping Howlers  (Read 12457 times)

hickathrift

• View Profile
Goalkeeping Howlers
« on: November 08, 2015, 10:39:32 AM »
I think Alex needs some goalkeeping coaching (professional if possible?)Like others have mentioned there seems to be to many bad mistakes too regular just recently. Maybe the lad just needs some expert coaching and his confidence restored otherwise we have problems IMO

rod

• View Profile
Re: Goalkeeping Howlers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 11:09:31 AM »
Alex has had a bad run this season of unforced errors but at least yesterday did not cost us...Stating the obvious most keeper errors result in goals so are magnified. I still though think that he is a decent keeper with room and time still to develop but some coaching from a more experienced keeper might help - particulrly in respect of when to play as a sweeper keeper and when to stay put?

He can be a bit impetuous, sometimes illustrating a lack of judgement?

gs

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 12:35:55 PM »
You have have to admire the manager for sticking by Alex I certainly wouldn't. Too many errors too regular.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 02:16:51 PM »
You have have to admire the manager for sticking by Alex I certainly wouldn't. Too many errors too regular.

I feel that yesterday's howler of a goal was the fault of Jordan Yong and Alex Street! Each of them thought the other was going to do something and neither did - easy tap in for the No9 who was putting pressure on. Well done him!

Several times yesterday players were not decisive enough to "go for it".

Lee Stevenson's was also an example where he dithered and didn't get the goal that was on "special offer" with the door wide open.

However, the team pulled their socks up and dominated the game and got they deserved in the shape of a winner.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 02:51:30 PM »

I feel that yesterday's howler of a goal was the fault of Jordan Yong and Alex Street! Each of them thought the other was going to do something and neither did - easy tap in for the No9 who was putting pressure on. Well done him!

Several times yesterday players were not decisive enough to "go for it".

Lee Stevenson's was also an example where he dithered and didn't get the goal that was on "special offer" with the door wide open.

However, the team pulled their socks up and dominated the game and got they deserved in the shape of a winner.

Mike we are as one! Absolutely agree with all of the points you make. I also thought that Jordan was almost equally culpable, as if in doubt hoof it out should have applied.....and that at times we are not as decisive as we could be - Stevo' and his dithering being a prime example of this.

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 03:02:53 PM »
I still think Pedro will save us more points than he costs us!

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »
So do I......Absolutely the right decision to stick with him IMO.

gs

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 05:24:48 PM »
On radio norfolk Setch openly blamed Pedro for the goal

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 05:58:49 PM »

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 08:42:49 PM »

What was he doing?
Did he fall asleep????

THE DUKE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 11:19:43 PM »
I am sure others will have noticed when Pedro kicks from hand he steps out of the area he will be punished for this a foot back in the area would be safer.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 10:39:06 AM »
IMO Lee Stevenson's dithering was equivalent to Pedro's mistake...........both should have resulted in a goal....Unfortunately one incident did get much more criticism than the other, as always happens with keeper errors...At the very least Stevo' should have got a shot away, even if it had then been blocked on the line?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 10:45:33 AM »
Lets not go too over the top with  errors by this player or that player.  Lets look at  the postives. We won on Saturday, and the team is certainly making progress.   This coming Saturday will be a big test of how far this Team has come since the start of the season.  Not getting beat at Nantwich will be a massive sign of where this team is at.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 10:47:45 AM »
Does anyone think that we invite that pressure on to Pedro by constantly playing the ball back to him all the time? I don't think we've ever done this as much as we seem to be at the moment. I also can't think of another team this season I've seen play back to their keeper as much as we do. When they do, it's more of a 'last resort'.

Slough's number 9 looked almost embarrassed to put the ball in once he'd got it at his feet with the open goal.

I wasn't at Barwell so didn't see the error there, but the one at Histon was down to us gaining possession from their kick off, then playing the ball all the way back to Pedro rather than trying to move it around the midfield. Players had been slipping over all evening there, so although it came at the worst possible time it wasn't that much of a surprise. Their striker on the night (like a lot of strikers in this league) was clever enough to follow the ball all the way back to our area and force the mistake that rewarded him with a goal.

It would have been an absolute travesty if we didn't win that game on Saturday. I felt our performance warranted the three points especially on the balance of good chances created. Liam Hurst's goal was sheer class, power and bending away from the keeper into the corner. Matty Castellan's first senior goal was bravery. Setch has talked before about players putting their heads in where others wouldn't be willing to put their feet in. On the referee's first half performance he would have probably given their second 'goal' at the end for the assault on Pedro. I assume he read his handbook at half time as his performance did improve somewhat in the second half.

Only Stevo knows what happened in that 'moment' just before our second goal. Thankfully it wasn't costly.

So now sitting in our highest position of the season - eighth - and only four points off the play offs. IF we can cut out the defensive errors, how far can this team go?

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 10:55:11 AM »
So now sitting in our highest position of the season - eighth - and only four points off the play offs. IF we can cut out the defensive errors, how far can this team go?

And with three of the teams above us having played one game more!
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!