Author Topic: Goalkeeping Howlers  (Read 12469 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Goalkeeping Howlers
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 11:38:36 AM »
I think we have a real chance.. Would Now be a good time to add that elusive striker to the mix ?  I really feel its the one big ingreident we are missing.  Setch touched on it yet again in Interview.  Always feel its better to be proactive that reactive.  No good getting to April, missing out of a play off place and thinking if only we had added that extra striker.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »
It's a shame we won then all the moaners could have a real moan. Goalkeepers mistakes will be costly most of the time and will always look bad. If you add up the saves he has made I am sure they would be way ahead of his mistakes. Who would you sign to replace him? Stevo has been carrying an injury for most of the season but in a lot of games he has been outstanding. It was Gaughrans first game back after injury and I am sure Setch wants him up to speed asap and he will get there playing games. While we have so many youngsters in the team we need the experience off Gaughran and Stevenson, both on and off the pitch. WE DID WIN, AGAIN.
I think Setch would like to sign a striker who will score 20 goals or more Cary but where are they and are any available. Other than Lowestoft we will not find better than what we have got locally IMO.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 11:49:10 AM »
20+ strikers are like gold dust and there is a real danger that if we manage to sign one at this stage of the season he is more likely to flatter to deceive, than be the real deal?

Another way of putting it.....Why is he available now at a price we can afford???????

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 11:55:17 AM »
It's a shame we won then all the moaners could have a real moan. Goalkeepers mistakes will be costly most of the time and will always look bad. If you add up the saves he has made I am sure they would be way ahead of his mistakes. Who would you sign to replace him? Stevo has been carrying an injury for most of the season but in a lot of games he has been outstanding. It was Gaughrans first game back after injury and I am sure Setch wants him up to speed asap and he will get there playing games. While we have so many youngsters in the team we need the experience off Gaughran and Stevenson, both on and off the pitch. WE DID WIN, AGAIN.
I think Setch would like to sign a striker who will score 20 goals or more Cary but where are they and are any available. Other than Lowestoft we will not find better than what we have got locally IMO.

If as you say, Stevo' has been carrying an injury for most of this season surely it would make much more sense for him to take a break from playing and to get himself 100% fit?

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
Exactly Rod, I think we have some youngsters who will make the grade but if we sign this super striker, on big money, what will happen to Dylan, Toby and Sam? Having seen a lot of Dylan this season he will score goals at a higher level than King's Lynn, maybe much higher. Setch knew what he was doing signing him on contract. I will stick with what we've got thank you.
Can't agree with that one Rod, thats a decision for Setch  and I would rather have his experience in the team, all the youngster will learn more playing games with Steve, Sam G and David Bridges.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »
What do you mean Tazzy what will happen to them ?  2 of them were on the bench Saturday, it is not as though they are going to be giving up their place.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 12:57:43 PM »

Tazzy, you make some vailid points as always  I really fee, and after all its all about personal opinion on here, that Young Castellan( sic) was very unlucky to be dropped for Saturday, as he didnt appear to do too much wrong in the games he played in the middle.  I thought that he was forming and excellant partnership with Ryan Fryatt.  For me, Central defenders always go together in pairs, and the more they play together the better they get.

As for getting a striker in, Setch himself hs said a good few times he would like to bring one in, and again mentioned the fact of the chances that were again missed on Saturday.  With all the local players now in the first team squad, one would suspect that there must be a decent saving on travelling expenses on players compared to last season.  Those little gold nuggest of striker are out there,  so maybe it would be worth just spending that little bit extra on getting one in.  Ok, there is no guarentee of goals as we have seen each of the last few seasons, But gett he right man and this squad could be really on to something.

It would seem Setch has the Money, he has the contacts.  tazzy, do you not think that the likes of Edge and Hilliard would benefit from working and playing with a proven goal scorer ?  It should be a win win situation for the Club, short term you get someone who can grab you 20 plus goals a season and all the young strikers in the squad are learning valuable leasons.  I would class that as very much investing in the future.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 01:39:27 PM »
Exactly Rod, I think we have some youngsters who will make the grade but if we sign this super striker, on big money, what will happen to Dylan, Toby and Sam? Having seen a lot of Dylan this season he will score goals at a higher level than King's Lynn, maybe much higher. Setch knew what he was doing signing him on contract. I will stick with what we've got thank you.
Can't agree with that one Rod, thats a decision for Setch  and I would rather have his experience in the team, all the youngster will learn more playing games with Steve, Sam G and David Bridges.

Surely though if you are carrying an injury continually, that of itself means you cannot perform consistently to your full potential, so perhaps not taking the risk of making the situation worse makes sense???????????????

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 02:01:31 PM »
Agree with the depth of the squad we are now enjoying, there is no reason to rush any player back from injury, or indeed ask any player to play when not fully fit.  If Stevo is carrying a knock surely we have enough about the squad to let him rest up for a couple of weeks. 

People are rightly saying what a discovery Simon Bird is, strange how Injury can give someone who has previously not been considered a chance to stake a claim.  I do wonder when Miller, Gaughran and Fryatt are all fit what will happen with Bird.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »
My opinion and one that I make constantly, is that players should be selected on merit and current form!!

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 02:39:47 PM »
As you say Cary it would likely be short term and we have had proven, at a higher level, short term strikers that have probably cost a lot of money for not a lot. If Setch could bring in a proven goal scorer who was keen to play for the Linnets, not just the money then I wouldn't disagree, but that's asking Setch to perform miracles. I believe the young strikers will produce enough goals between them to get us in the top half of the table which is the target Setch has set. I have to keep raising the name but Dylan Edge is a real talent, in the few short appearances he has made for Setch he has shown himself capable of getting in the right places to score but added to that he has set up goals which have won us games.
As for Simon Bird Rod when the senior players return, fit, then Setch has the sort of problem all mangers want, together with Matty Castellan, competition for places, keeps players keen. Thankfully for us Setch has to make that decision and good luck to him.

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 02:59:21 PM »
Well put tazz Setch is looking after what we have, thier time will come with goals to follow.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 05:25:10 PM »
I would rather have 3 or 4 players scoring 12-15 goals each rather than one 20 a season possibility player.

Setch has got an enviable headache what with so many good players and which ones to pick. However, a rotation system might work if those "on the bench" are given enough time to make an impact when they do come on. That would allow players to give their all for 60-70minutes rather than 90. These would be the attacking wing-backs/wingers and main striker. Although "No plan survives first contact with the enemy".
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 05:36:55 PM »
From what I've seen Edge and Hilliard have wreaked havoc in opposition defences every time they've come on.

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 07:21:30 PM »
From what I've seen Edge and Hilliard have wreaked havoc in opposition defences every time they've come on.

Be nice to see them both start against Histon tomorrow night!
 :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: