Author Topic: Nantwich  (Read 7126 times)

rod

• View Profile
Nantwich
« on: November 10, 2015, 12:16:54 PM »
Someone posted elsewhere that this game will show just how far we have progressed...I agree and if we were to succeed in bringing them back here for a replay that for me would be easily our best performance this season...They have a formidable record having recently beaten Salford and I believe have scored in every game this season to date, culminating in a 4-0 win at Stamford last Saturday.

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Nantwich
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 08:27:59 AM »
 I think the one big winner on Saturday could be Abigail.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 05:17:32 PM »
I shall be away in Bournemouth this weekend, visiting my mum before Christmas. Hopefully I shall be able to follow the game on the live feed - will anyone be travelling to Nantwich that can send updates???

I think that we can get a "result" and either beat them or bring them back to The Walks!
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

THE DUKE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 07:40:57 PM »
Weather closing in heavy rain expected does that level the match if it goes ahead

jackdaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 08:07:14 PM »
Listening to the Non League show this morning Nantwich have scored 65 goals this season, I think they said regular striker did not play yesterday so that was a bonus.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 09:57:39 AM »
Regular striker missing, but (I think) three other players into double figures for goals for the season by the middle of November.

Listened to the coverage on the radio (decent apart from the constant drowning out by the PA system - if I'd heard "I feel good" by James Brown one more time on Saturday I would not be held responsible for my actions).

Yet again the big difference between the two sides was that extra class in the final third.

TDA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »
There is a lot of bedwetting on this forum in response to this defeat by Nantwich.  I was at the game.  For long periods we actually played very well against a good side and I was proud of the boys.  All of this talk about them being super physical because they are from the Northern league etc isnít really true.  The pitch was flat and slick, and they moved the ball about very well.  Yes they had a couple of big lads, but it was their pace and quality in the final third that beat us.  We played some good stuff too for the record.  So it was a really good contest until they scored their third.  There are a few points that I observed:

1)   The Dabbers were very strong down their left hand side.  We coped with this for the most part in the first half with Fryatt at right back and Miller  inside.  The first goal was a howler from Kern missing a skidding ball and not merited on the balance of play.  When Kern went off and we reshuffled, bringing in a presumably semi injured Simon Bird, we looked more vulnerable.  All of their successful attacks came down this side.
2)   Setch has not had a settled back 4 for most of the season due to injuries.  This is not easy.
3)   We can tend to play a style of football that is open to counter attack, which suited this opposition.  I was surprised at how much possession we had on Saturday.  We were actually camped in their half most of the second period, pressing very high.  In this respect I would sometimes question the tactics.  I am no expert clearly, but down the A47 at Norwich the manager has just learned a big lesson in that possession and pressure etc does not necessarily win you games in the premier league.  In the last fixture against Swansea the plan was adapted to have less possession but keep a shape and then wait for a chance.  Even at this level, maybe we should have something like this in our locker.
4)   The usual subject of Ďhow can they (Nantwich) be so good on such small gatesí was raised.  This all comes back to geography Iím afraid.  Nantwich is in between Birmingham and Manchester and closer to a lot more civilisation than the historic port town of Kingís Lynn.  This is the idiosyncrasy that gives KL a unique identify but it is also a drawback in the cost of attracting people to come and play for us.  I totally believe the current sustainable approach of getting the best local talent is the way forward, but you can see the inexperience at times in the players. 
5)   One other thing - I thought Stevenson played well.  I was very critical of him after my last match away at Redditch, but he was excellent in his possession and link up play in this match.  We could really do with a proven quality goal scorer to take some pressure off the promising young lads, but they donít come cheap, particularly to Kings Lynn. 
6)   Michael Clunan was also looking very good but they clattered him a couple of times in the first half and this had the effect that presumably they had been instructed to achieve.

Keep going Setch and the boys.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 11:47:39 AM »
Good post TDA... With a young Inexpereinced squad we have to expect the  highs and Lows while these boys adapt to this level of Football.  We are going to get the odd thrashing ( In terms of result) that is something that will happen, from time to time.  I would expect us to start reaping the benefits from this toal change in policy ( forced or otherwise)  In a couple of seasons time.   One of the big things in Football now is time, or rather the lack of it, given too a manager to develop a squad, system and with it the results that will follow.  It seems like everyone wants success, and wants it Yesterday.  So what is a manager to do ?  He needs to hit the ground running, no time to build a squad as reuslts are what is now demanded.  I understand the guy at Stamford only could  8 weeks, and was gone.

The beauty of The set up at Lynn is Setch is now is own man, no one breathing down his neck if results dont come straight away, he can relax in his job, Knowing he is secure in his postion.  Also he should have the cashm sitting there waiting to spend IF he needs to bring that one player in who can help in the develiopment of these Youngsters.  I cannot believe that the money being spent on this years team is anywhere near the amount that was being spent last season.

The one thing is though at some point this team/Squad has to deliver.... You cannot be work in progress year after year.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 12:27:38 PM »
I was at the reserves game on Saturday but several supporters were getting updates from supporters at Nantwich, comments like 'we are 2-0 down but playing well' were common, and I also followed the feed from the game and when the score was 2-1 Nantwich official feed were saying 'this has been coming' and 'we need to wake up etc.,' well they did and that's football sometimes but a few things should also be taken into account. Matty Castellan missed the bus which put Simon Bird in as first defensive sub, who probably was not fit. The only player to get to Nantwich on time was Lee Stevenson as the bus got stuck on the M6 so arrived late. Not a great build up to the game. Nantwich, with or without players, who knows, stuffed Salford 4-0 recently and I was lucky enough to see Salford in the FA Cup and you would need to be a bl***y good team to beat them by a goal let alone 4. Let's all get real here, the club has almost been completely reformed by Setch and he has done a fantastic job of it but we need to be patient and he needs a bit of luck with injuries etc. but this club is on the up and the supporters need to accept we will have some not so good days.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 01:03:24 PM »
So all in all would you say that exciting times ahead  Tazz ?  But lets not forget at some point these exciting times in the future have to be delivered.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 03:02:21 PM »
I think they are exciting times Mallard and I believe when the more experienced players are fit and Setch has a squad to pick from, this team will string some results together, this season and the top half of the table is a realistic target that Setch himself has set. The supporters need to be a bit patient at the moment as far as being in the play offs etc. Obviously if progress is to be made that will be the target next season. If the supporters get behind the team who knows what might happen. Many have said where is the next Jack Defty, all I can say is was Jack as good as Dylan Edge at 17, I don't think so. I can also remember another local 17 year old 'ish flying down the wing for Lynn before he went on to bigger and better things. He is now the manager, anythings possible.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 03:37:04 PM »
I agree, these are exciting times. Results like Saturday's will happen as part of that learning curve, also I think it's fair to say we went after the game at 2-1 and got picked off. Being a cup game I'd rather be thinking that after the game than not taking a gamble at 2-1 and losing anyway.

Many have said where is the next Jack Defty, all I can say is was Jack as good as Dylan Edge at 17, I don't think so. I can also remember another local 17 year old 'ish flying down the wing for Lynn before he went on to bigger and better things. He is now the manager, anythings possible.

Great comments, these! In terms of style, I'm not sure we will see another Jack Defty. He was playing in defence at a young age and in our reserves, and was a central midfielder when Peter Morris brought him through into the first team. However in terms of youngsters that could 'make the grade'; I see a few now, thanks to the growing setup the club has.

We must continue to be patient as these players develop. Too much expectation may have an adverse effect. It's a project that will take time, but I am fully confident we are moving in the right direction. Above all it is great to see how these lads are enjoying playing football, and that they WANT to play and do well for us.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »
Tazzy, I think it is a little unfair to compare young Dylan with Jack, two totally different players.  One who had potential and delivered. The other a Young lad who Setch is nuturing along who will hopefully deliver in the future.  Lets give the lad some space and time and let him develop.  No Point in heaping terms like the next Jack Defty on his shoulder.  How about Just the first Dylan Edge ?

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »
I did not say Dylan was the next Jack Defty just that he is better at 17 although like Rob says Jack took a while to be a forward. I do think Dylan is the most natural goalscorer I have seen in a long time, he also showed against a full strength HIston side he can hold the ball up and then set others up as well. Setch has said he will bring him on slowly over the next 18 months but it's up to the lad as well, but he is very ambitious. I think that with our set up now and links to Bully we will see a lot of youngsters joining the club and some must progress, they will be given every chance.
Exciting times.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 05:36:38 PM »
Even in those early first team years Jack played the game with a level of maturity that belied his age. He was very well aware of his strengths and limitations and adopted a style of play that considered all of those.

Around the same time that Jack broke in to the first team, a certain Robbie Harris also stepped up from the reserves. I think he was about 18-19 at the time and turned out to be another young striker that did very well for the club over two spells in his career.

In more recent years of course, Dom Dwyer is a great example of what can be achieved.