Author Topic: SIXTIES LINNETS  (Read 7643 times)

Frontman

• View Profile
Re: SIXTIES LINNETS
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 08:29:59 PM »
He was a pleasure to know and always worked his socks off; did well when he went to Bedford. Money was important to him as he had Butchery business and partner scammed him of every penny. His commitment showed thro' at Cambs City (we lost after battering them) early season when he came off with both shins bleeding! He was at the end of his career and not as his heyday but still gave 100% Good Man! 
There were idiots of directors who squandered money and Lottery embezzlement! When Len Hall took over he said fraud squad were keen to investigate. Sold 6 houses cheap too! What would they fetch today?

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 11:58:12 AM »
We were a comparatively wealthy club in those days and I can recall when a sub 2,000 gate for a league game was disappointing.......so lots of cash being generated!

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 07:13:17 PM »
Cliff Jones was top scorer long after he left and i recall  often coming off pitch with blood streaming down his legs after harsh treatment, this was when football was a mans game he didnt disapoint me.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 11:41:51 AM »
My memory may be playing tricks and perhaps expectation was too high? But I do recall he was being paid (allegedly) a great deal of money, for the time and was still seemingly very fit (not carrying any surplus weight) although at the end of a high profile career, yet did not, in my memory, fully live up to (my) expectation

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 09:38:27 PM »
 Non of his team mates complained either! 
More the environment he entered; Reg Davies side-lined :sad:; Manager / director Taffy Williams (director) talking rubbish; Laurie Brown (nightmare) and in amongst that the team dominated games early season and couldn't get results! Brown perpetuated that and Cliff Jones detested him from his day at Spurs as he was a braggart. Finally would not play for him and went to Bedford!!  Not a good time for Lynn!!

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 10:59:17 AM »
It is quite possible that because Cliff Jones was such a stellar signing for a club like Lynn - he really was a super star of that recent time, perhaps my expectations were unreasonably high.

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »
Can you remember the forward Brown signed to score us out of trouble? Dick young! now we are talking waste of money 1 goal and no effort to add to the tally.Malc Linds came back and scored 4 on his return against Margate, all to late.