Author Topic: SIXTIES LINNETS  (Read 7780 times)

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
SIXTIES LINNETS
« on: November 10, 2015, 07:01:24 PM »
 SIXTIES LINNETS without doubt Lynns best football times as far as top six in Southern league when this was the feeder in real terms to football league ie Camb utd, Hereford,Wimbledon and also many fac runs against league teams and very good gates often 2000 + oh those were the days my friends i thought they would never end.

Steve C

• View Profile
Re: SIXTIES LINNETS
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »
This is the period when I first started to watch The Linnets, also remember teams such as Barnet, Yeovil and Burton Albion plus Boston United possibly in the Eastern Professional Floodlight League.

Hillingdon Borough ( what happened to them? ) always seemed to play well when they came to Lynn.

As you mention...................Those Where The Days  :salute:
Followed KLFC until 2009.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:53:41 PM »
I can remember us playing against Peterborogh in I think the Midland league????

somerset linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:40:15 PM »
I believe we also played the pre Oxford United team, Rod.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »
Absolutely right, somerset....well along memory lane now!! They were then called Headington United and had a bulky, flambouyant wing half playing for them at the time.......Ron Atkinson! His younger brother Graham was also in the team............an inside forward as they were then called!!

jackdaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 05:35:53 PM »
Steve C, Hillingdon Borough ceased in 1985 and became Burnham FC, they were originally called Yiewsley FC.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 06:17:33 PM »
Also Tottenham "A" side were also regular visitors. I think they played our Reserves in the ECL.

somerset linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 06:35:15 PM »
Two players that spring to mind Rod, were Dougie Morris on the wing and Ray Dixon at centre forward. Perhaps I am too long in the tooth. What a fantastic team we had in the late 50s and early sixities. Unfortunately I joined the Army in Jan 1960 so missed the memorable FA Cup game against Everton. I don't know if I was dreaming or not did John Charles play a game at the Walks. Or is the senile 70s really setting in.

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »
He certainly did in the seventies for merthyr scoring both goals with headers in a 2 0 win for the visiters, well in his forties at the time.

somerset linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 08:02:27 PM »
Thanks for that S2S. Proves I've still got a few faculties left, I was back in Lynn then.

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 11:21:09 AM »
John Charles also played on the Walks for Hereford, it was a Friday night game (power strikes era), Lynn won 2-0 , Mal Lindsay scored both I think, the gate around 2800?, please correct me if I am wrong. The football then was of a high standard for non league.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 11:41:53 AM »
I think it was then the old Midland league with the likes of Peterborough and was probably close to what would now be Conference standard?....So many memories from those days though some now a bit hazy! Unfortunately did not see John Charles at the Walks but recall the days of Dougie Morris, Roy Proverbs,Ray Dixon, Ron Crookes, George Luke etc etc etc........as if it were yesterday!!

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 10:06:47 AM »
Reg Davies!! A classy player manager 65-71! Mal Lindsay says Reg laid on 90% of his 300+ goals.  Missed 2 Cup Finals at Newcastle; Arsenal 12th Man; Man City tonsillitis! Playing for Wales v England at Wembley Jmmy Murphy gave team talk and did not mention Reg or Duncan Edwards. Going out Reg asked why?  The response was f Edwards gets it get out of way as you may get hurt! This Man swapped shirts with Edwards and could have sold it but donated it to Man Utd Museum!!! Cliff Jones was a friend of Reg and that's how he signed for Us! When Brown took over from Reg in weird circumstances he soon left as he hated him from Spurs days with a vengeance!!

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 05:08:55 PM »
Think Reg moved to australiia Cliff Jones was on 100 pounds per game , big money at time in what was our promotion season? ended in relegation.Mr Brown went end of season and club 40grand in debt or so it was said.Len Hall came back as chairman and kept club going when times were very hard.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 07:29:13 PM »
I recall Jones being a real disappointment, giving the impression that he like so many ex pro's who drop down to non league, that he was just here for the money. Very different attitude to that of Reg Davies.