• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Gainsborough Trinity 1
1st January 1981
BY COINCIDENCE the goals came at the end of each half and were remarkably similar in this, Northern Premier League fixture on New Year's Day.
It was the Linnets who took the lead in the 44th minute following a corner on the left by Chris Watts. The flick-on at the near post was by John Moyes and the decisive close range shot was put away by MICK WRIGHT.
Gainsborough had to wait until the 86th minute for the equaliser which came from a corner on the left by Holmes, a near post flick-on and a forceful header in by HARRIS, the league's top scorer.
The fare served up in each half before these goals was quite absorbing and depending on which team you supported it was possible to pick out instances which should have provided goals and the possibility of an outright result.
Lynn for example had a forceful run by Clive Adams blocked in the goalmouth in the first half and a clear chance for Keith Rudd which he stabbed at.

And encouraged by Wright's goal the Linnets stormed into the attack in the second half keeping the Trinity defence at full stretch for a full 15 minutes.
Back came Gainsborough through Howard who hit the bar and the rebound fell to Owen who wastefully volleyed over the bar from five yards. Lynn went through a shaky period but appeared to have settled down as the game entered its last quarter and Rudd with an accurate header was thwarted by the one-banded save from Finch
Had that gone in Lynn would surely hove won, but Gainsborough made the most of their reprieve as Harris equalised and then right on the 90th minute Owen was well-placed for a header with only Algar to beat and he put that chance over the top.
So perhaps a draw was the fair result, yet for Lynn some disappointment at dropping a point so late in a game where they showed some refreshing enthusiasm and a number of promising moves.
Lynn: Agar; Moyes, M. Wiles, Adams, Wilson; Rider, Watts, Wright, Pinkowski; Rudd, D. Wiles. Sub Lockstone.
Gainsborough: Finch, Williams, Ripley (sub Thompson .75 mins), Lodge, Birkinshaw, Jones, Hignall, Holmes, Owen, Howard, Harris.
Referee: P. Holland (Sheffield). Attendance: 434.
Report by permission of the Lynn News