• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 3 Grantham Town 0
1st January 1981
Firstly an explanation why this Northern Premier League fixture came to be played at The Walks on New Year's Day when it should have been at Grantham.
The Grantham pitch was still not playable after the snow then thaw, yet both teams were in agreement at wanting to get in a match.
So on Thursday morning, December 31, the decision was made to switch the fixture to Lynn.
It was too late for the local newspapers to report, but information was given to the regional radio stations, hastily prepared notices were put around the town and Lynn relied heavily on the word spreading around their supporters.
And for the match 400 fans were attracted to The Walks despite the cold, foggy conditions. It was an admirable response and justified the decision to go ahead with the match.
The fans who didn't get to hear of the match being on will be interested to know that new signing Wayne Biggins made his debut and looks to be a fine capture indeed for the Linnets.
The skill of the player in close control, distribution and positional play shone through the murky conations, even after he had got a painful knock in the second half which ultimately led to his 85th minute substitution.
It's obvious why Matlock were loathe to let this ex-Lincoln City player leave them for the Linnets.

Right from the start Lynn had that extra yard of pace, having had the benefit of a midweek fixture after the lay-off while Grantham were playing their first match since December 12.
Grantham managed, throughout the match, just one header which went wide, a couple of corners and a scrambled goal disallowed for a clear offside.
They were backpedalling and the likes of ex-Notts County players Brindley and Stubbs were under heavy pressure in defence. Cox on the Grantham goal made vital first half saves to keep out shots from Burrows and Watts.
In the 57th minute Grantham won their first corner which came to nothing, and almost immediately were hit by two quick goals.
Paul Chapman got the first in the 62nd minute with a far post header after winger Burrows had pulled the Grantham defence apart.
Three minutes later Cox pulled down Chapman when he was breaking clear and the penalty was tucked away by Clive Adams.
The only way Grantham could escape fro defeat was if the fog caused the game to be abandoned and Lynn must have been thankful that the conditions did not deteriorate.
In the 85th minute Chapman forced his way past Stubbs and hammered in an angled shot which Cox found too hot and the ball slipped through the keeper's fingers and over the line.
Lynn: Drewery, Wilson, Bircumshaw, Johnston, M Wiles, Watts, Thompson, Adams, Burrows, Biggins (sub D Wiles 85), Chapman.
Grantham: Cox, Thacker, Jarvis, Brindley, Stubbs, Foster, Jones (sub Tandy 70 mins), Nixon, Young, Leadbetter, Hines.
Referee: M Claridge (Rotherham) Attendance: 400

Report by permission of the Lynn News