• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Leamington 2
1st March 1975
One of the most pleasing aspects of Lynn's play this season has been their work rate through the full 90 minutes.
On Saturday they met a side who matched them stride for stride - and that has not happened very often.
It was Leamington who struck the killer blow in the closing minutes with the winning goal which gave them the points to continue an amazing surge up the Southern League table.
While there can be criticism of Lynn's overall performance, nothing should detract from Leamington's play. They did not get rattled when falling behind to an early goal, but continued chasing and harrying Lynn into mistakes.
In particular, Leamington pulled midfield men Boot and Lee into wide positions to keep a watch on Lynn wing men Easthall and Reynolds. Not very often did Lynn get behind the defence to test reserve keeper Garret.
It was in the first quarter of the game that Garrett did look shaky.
In the seventh minute he made a nervous attempt at punching a low centre from Rudd. The ball went straight to Lindsay whose shot was blocked and when Reynolds tried his luck, Garrett winger tipped the ball away for a corner.
Lynn did take the lead in the 12th minute through a penalty. In the build-up, Garrett missed Spooner's centre and following a scramble Reynolds planted his shot firmly into the net. But referee Mr J L McCree of Harlow was already pointing to the penalty spot and indicating a handling offence.
Lindsay took the shot and neatly tucked away his 35th goal of the season.
Two minutes later Johnston sent a long raking pass down the left which Rudd chased and controlled. Leamington were short of cover when the centre came over, but Reynolds, always stretching, could not direct his header goalwards.
Then it was Leamington's turn and there were some anxious moments in the Lynn goalmouth before Boot slotted in a 21st minute equaliser with a hard low shot past Haistead who appeared to be unsighted.
Straight from the re-start Lynn worked their way into the Leamington penalty area. Rudd swept a fierce drive which Garrett touched away for a corner and from that the goalkeeper made a reflex save to keep out a shot from Lindsay.
Any nerves the goalkeeper may have had before now disappeared and he gave a competent display for the rest of the game.
These saves were probably the turning point of the game, for Lynn did not make many more chances. There were some openings early in the second half for Reynolds and Rudd, then Reynolds with a through pass sent Stewart away for a shot that was blocked for a corner.
Leamington were kick to break, too quick, in fact for Lee and Sciggins were both caught offside and their shots into the net did not count.
Centre half Brown was booked for a foul on Rudd and the free kick was sent narrowly over the top by Stewart.
The longer the game progressed the more unhappy Lynn seemed to get in their inability to score. The points seemed to be shared until Brown went up for an 87th minute free kick from Lee which he met with a powerful header which which sizzled into the net.
Lynn: Haistead, Spooner, Johnston, Stewart, Smith, Wright, Reynolds, McCallum, Rudd, Lindsay, Easthall. Sub: Durrant.
Leamington: Garrett, Taylor, Brady, Griffiths, Brown, Boot, Horne, Stewart, Scriggins, Keeley. Sub: Talbot.
Referee: Mr J L McCree (Harlow). Attendance: 444.
Report by permission of the Lynn News