• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 0 Maidenhead United 1
1st May 2007
THE Linnets agonisingly failed in the play-offs for the third time in four seasons on Tuesday night.
After being so on top in the first half and having plenty of chances, The Walks outfit faded.
As Maidenhead took control, the vociferous crowd's worst fears were realised as the Magpies won with a late goal from Mark Nisbet.
Keith Webb manager said: "The outcome was probably the worst I've felt in my football career.
"I'm pig-sick for everybody. The players gave everything they could.
"The only thing lacking was the final touch. As the game wore on in the back of your mind you think if we're not careful, we can get hit with a sucker punch.
"You can't dominate for 90 minutes, and for five we switched off. They had two shots, one which Scott Howie superbly saved, the other the goal.
He really shouldn't have been allowed to score.
`All the team's got to take responsibility for the result. You make decisions in the course of the game - some things come off, some don't.
"Jack Defty was struggling with his thigh and groin, and I thought maybe Frewy would give us more pace down the middle.
"We've had a reasonably successful-season, but it boils down to one game - it's a kick in the teeth."
Lynn were really up for it in the opening 45 minutes, backed by cries of "Come On King's Lynn."
They kept a high tempo and put pressure on the away defence which featured ex-Linnet Grant Cooper, who was predictably booed after leaving the club recently.

Perhaps it was the influence of Maidenhead's black-and-white strip, but Cooper's hair lacked its usual colour.
As early as the third minute the first corner of the game was flicked on, but Matt Nolan headed over.
A dangerous Michael Frew cross was palmed away by assured keeper Chico Ramos, who spent six seasons at Benfica.
On the half-hour mark following a foul on Matt O'Halloran by Cooper, Lewis Blois' free-kick curled just wide.
O'Halloran was denied by Ramos twice in the space of a minute, while Jack Defty fired wide from an acute angle.
Maidenhead had not registered a shot on target in the first period, but five minutes after the break a 25-yard drive from Darti Brown was turned round the post by Howie.
From the resulting corner, Ashley Smith blazed over, while Lee Newman hit the side netting.
On the hour mark there were cries of handball as Nolan poleaxed Smith with a fierce effort.
Worryingly, the visitors gained control of the midfield.
Nisbet, who scored the winner at The Walks earlier this season, shimmied one way, then the other, before blasting into the roof of the net from 18 yards on 74 minutes.
Lynn brought on Danny Bloomfield in a desperate bid.
O'Halloran should have connected better with a volley to sum up the hosts' misfiring attack, while Greg Crane and Nolan also missed efforts.
As Lynn were committed forward, it ended with Howie denying sub Stephen Hughes.
Lynn: Howie, West (Bloomfield 81), Blois, Warren, Crane, Fisk, O'Halloran, Camm, J. Defty (Gould 71), Nolan, Frew. Subs not used: Marshall, C. Defty, Hammond. Booked: Nolan 49, O'Halloran 81.
Maidenhead: Ramos, Nisbet, Behzadi, Lee, Sterling, Cooper, Telemaque, Brown, Newman (Romeo 56), Roach (Hughes 65), Smith. Not used: Parsons, Carpenter, Fenton. Booked: Brown 64.
Att: 1,154. Referee: A. Mason. MoM: Mark Warren.
Stats, Linnets first: shots on target 7, 7; off target 5, 4; corners 7, 10; offside 2, 3; free-kicks 11, 12.
Report by permission of the Lynn News