• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Sheffield 2 King's Lynn 0
1st September
LINNETS boss Gary Setchell had few complaints after his side tasted defeat for the first time this season.
A goal in each half was enough to send Lynn home empty handed after an entertaining encounter.
Setchell said: "In all fairness we hit the woodwork three times, had a good go, and the lads didn't give up, but the best team got the three points if I'm being honest.
"I think Sheffield are a very good side. They were a final ball away from opening us up more than what we were to them.
"The disappointing thing is, although we hit the woodwork so many times, which is unlucky in any game, the two goals we conceded weren't great.
"We gave a very good account of ourselves against what I consider to be a team that will definitely be in the play-offs."
Setchell added: "We weren't flat out in the first half. It looked like we were 85 per cent and Sheffield were more dominant. Perhaps first half we showed them a little bit too much respect as they're a good side with good players.
"In the second half we came out and dominated possession a little bit better and it was an open game. It was probably a good game for the neutral to watch."
Opposing boss Curtis Woodhouse, a professional boxer, said: "I'm delighted with the victory and the three points against a very good King's Lynn side.
"Their number nine (Russell Dunkley) was a real handful and you can see him scoring a lot of goals this season."
After an even start, Sheffield's Jared Stephens saw his low shot saved and Will Powell headed over the crossbar.
A well-worked move from the Linnets saw Ross Watson unleash a shot which came back off the post.
Two minutes later, Canadian striker Stephens forced Alex Street into a magnificent save, with Street's fingertips ensuring that the ball hit the post rather than the back of the net.
Sheffield should have taken the lead when Steve Woolley found Stephens unmarked at the far post but he blazed well over with the goal at his mercy.
Fryatt almost put his side in front on the half-hour mark when he got on the end of Jamie Thurlbourne's corner and headed the ball onto the crossbar.
But, 11 minutes before the interval, Woolley's corner was whipped into the box and found the unmarked Charlie Weir, whose deflected header found the net to give Sheffield a deserved lead.
Lynn came flying out of the blocks at the start of the second period.
Jamie Forshaw fired just wide of the target while Dunkley's looping header was turned over the woodwork by Nicky Draper.
Sheffield almost doubled their lead on the break when Woolley squared the ball to Powell, whose shot forced Street to an instinctive save.
With around 13 minutes to play, Powell received the ball on the inside the area and was tumbled to the ground by Fryatt as he attempted to turn.
The referee immediately pointed to the spot and Woolley calmly converted the spot kick.
Lynn frantically piled pressure on the Sheffield defence and hit the woodwork for a third time when substitute Jason Turner's long-range effort crashed back off the crossbar. Sheffield FC: Draper, Turner, Weir (Gregory), Knowles, Hadfield, Burrell, Roney, Foster, Powell (Wall), Stephens (Williams), Woolley. Subs Not Used: Martin, Cardwell.
Kings Lynn Town: Street, Watson, Yong, Fryatt, Gulliver, Bunting (Turner), Spriggs (Hughes), Quigley, Dunkley (Beaumont), Forshaw, Thurlbourne. Sub Not Used: Buhlemann.
Attendance: 329.
Report by permission of the Lynn News