• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Welling United 1 King's Lynn 2
1st October 1983
A gem of a goal from Colin Garwood to match anything produced in his Football League days gave the Linnets a superb win at Welling on Saturday - and put them on top of the Southern League.
They inflicted on Welling their first home defeat since they lost to Sutton in the London Senior Cup semi-final last April. This was also Welling's first home defeat in a league fixture since February.
Amazingly, Lynn achieved this feat without three key players in Adams, Johnston and McJannet - and with Chris Watts, Colin Foster and Fred Easthall carrying groin strains.
Jim Kabia and Russ Allen battled magnificently in midfield and the defence remained firm in the face of some heavy Welling pressure.
Welling might consider themselves unlucky after dominating early on, but the visitors could have added to the goals scored by martin Coupe and Garwood, if keeper Ian Shead had not pulled off a great save to foil manager Keith Rudd.
The home side got off to an impressive start and took the lead in the 11th minute through Terry warren. Jones got his head to Townsend's free kick and Burgess crossed from the right for Warren to slam home.
Lynn were quick to recover and after Kabia's header had been cleared off the line by Townsend, they equalised in the 33rd minute when Shead could not hold the wet ball. Allen side-stepped a tackle from Burgess and his shot came back off Shead to enable Coupe to push in the rebound.
After only five minutes of the second half Welling sent on substitute Adrian Foley for left back Kevin Corbett who had suffered thigh strain when fouled by Watts in the 36th minute.
Welling pressed hard with Agana and Warren going close.
But against the run of play Lynn matched the lead with a goal completely out of the blue in the 60th minute. Garwood seized on a clearance from Foley and sent a sizzling 20 yard drive rocketing into the net.
The home side roared back, yet repeatedly played into Lynn's hands by pumping the ball forward instead of using the speed and skill of Agana and Townsend.
they still managed to create three good openings, only to see them squandered by Jones (twice) and Warren.
Both sides became tense in the closing stages and there were a couple of flare-ups. Referee David Nebin of Woking merely lectured Ransom and Coupe after the first, but when Kabia fouled Townsend and the latter retaliated both men were booked.
Welling: Shead: Ford, Starkey, ransom, Corbett (Foley 50 mins); White, Burgess, Townsend; Warren, Jones, Agana.
Lynn: McPherson; Watts, Mercer, Foster, Wiles; Rudd, Kabia, Allen, Easthall; Garwood, Coupe. Sub Fryatt.
Referee: D. Nobin (Woking)
Report by permission of the Lynn News