• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Oldbury United 1 King's Lynn 1
2nd September 1989

The Linnets survived a daunting FA Cup venture into the Midlands on Saturday - and can finish the job off in tonight's replay at The Walks.
For an hour, it seemed as if Lynn would accomplish a straight-forward victory, but Oldbury came back strongly and probably deserved to force the draw.
Now the spotlight turns on the Linnets, as they make a belated first appearance at The Walks after a sequence of five away fixtures. And team boss Jim Kabia wants the fans to turn out and get behind the new-look side which is still looking for the first win of the season.
"We've done the hard part in holding Oldbury on their ground and now it's up to us to win and go through to the next round." he said after Saturday's tough cup-tie. "For most of the lads it will be their first game at King's Lynn and it's important that the supporters give them every encouragement."
Kabia had played his part at Oldbury, partnering Dave Gregory in the front line when having his first full game since a foot operation in July. But he admitted afterwards: "I'm still short of match fitness and training. I was feeling the pace towards the end."
The game had started with Lynn asking all the questions, especially through Freddie Easthall on the left wing. Oldbury had prepared well in keeping a close watch on Lee Howard on the right, but that allowed Easthall space on the other side which he used well.
Oldbury were hardly out of their half and were kept in the game by goalkeeper Steve Johnson. After an early chance for defender Dave Cunnington went wide, Johnson made a superb save when getting is fingertips to a 10th minute shot from Dave Gregory.
Eventually Lynn took the lead with a neat set-piece move. Easthall picked out Ged Creane with a free kick and the big defender nodded the ball down to Gregory who calmly picked his spot. This 29th minute goal was well deserved and the Linnets looked comfortable on their lead going into the second half.
But the Oldbury side, containing many players with Beazer Homes League experience, were urged forward from mid-field by the energetic Steve Vowles. On the hour Carlo Rossi had a shot blocked on the line by Dave Cunnington, but two minutes later it was Rossi who forced the equaliser when Lynn were caught out by Hadland's break down the right.
It then became tense for both teams.
Ward did get the ball into the net but was offside and Gregory forced Johnson into a diving save. Oldbury attacks saw striker Graham Jones put a shot wide and then turn a header in which Billy Millar punched over the bar. And in the 84th minute substitute Roy Green had a shot which hit the post.
Oldbury: Johnson, Loughran, Wells, Hadland, Vowles, Walton, Bullock, Bestall, Rossi, Jones, Unitt. Siubstitutes: Green (Bullock 73). Hawthorn (not used).
Lynn: Millar, Cunnington, Nuttall, Creane, Frost, Howard, Wards, Appleby, Easthall, Gregory, Kabia. Unused subs: Nigel Carter, Jason Carter.
Referee: P Wing (Peterborough)
Report by permission of the Lynn News