• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Cambridge City 1 King's Lynn 0
2nd October 1999
LINNETS manager Gary Mills admitted his side "let themselves down" after Saturday's woeful FA Cup exit at Cambridge City.
The Linnets, backed by a large travelling support, were second best throughout to an average Cambridge City side and boss Mills conceded his side all had an off day.
"It was disappointing. We didn't play well. Everybody had an off day and it's up to me to put things right," he commented.
Scott Taylor's 27th minute goal ended Lynn's interest in this season's, competition and hopes of a trip away to Ryman Premier League side Slough Town in the fourth qualifying, round.
"We were looking to have a good run in the cup, but realistically we were never going to get to Wembley.
"Everybody has been superb all season, but it was disappointing on Saturday, especially with such a great following. We let ourselves down, but we will be aiming to put things right on Saturday," Mills continued.
Chuck Martini was the only player to emerge with any credit from Saturday's clash as he produced a string of fine saves to keep the Linnets in with a shout.
He was tested in the early stages by striker Scott Taylor who forced the Moroccan to tip over his header at full stretch.
Lee Wilson and Dave Puttnam both came close for the Linnets before Mills had to clear off his own goalline from Steve Gawthrop's header.
City got the goal they deserved on 27 minutes when former Linnet Ian Stringfellow broke down the right and crossed for the unmarked Taylor to fire past the exposed Martini.
And the lead should have been doubled just after the half-hour when Adam Wilde blazed wide when given a free shot at the Lynn goal.
Lynn changed formation after the break as Dave Taylor was replaced by Glen Fuff with Linnets going with five at the back, Simon Dakin and Tony Spearing playing as wing backs.
But they still failed to create an impression on the stubborn City rearguard although Puttnam flashed a free kick past the post.
Martini produced a smart reaction save to deny Stringfellow and Wilde blasted into the side-netting from a good position.
Shaun Keeble and Jon Palmer were brought on to add extra impetus to the Lynn attack and home keeper Martyn Davies had to make his first real save with 15 minutes remaining when Puttnam tested him from the edge of the box.
Martini again rescued the Linnets with a good save from Steve Wenlock as City finished the game, as they had been throughout, on top.
Lynn: Martini, Dakin, Spearing, Robinson, Clark, Mills, Turner, Goss, Taylor (Keeble 87), Wilson, Puttnam. Subs (not used) Mardsen, Fuff.
City: Mountain, Thomas (Jackson 90), Dicks, Hill, Kemp, Hunt, Smart, Jordan (Flynn 70), Brown, Dale (Mainwaring 67), Clarke.
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn643112 Robinson (9, throwing ball away)
Spearing (27, foul)
Puttnam (90, push)
Cambridge749318 Newby (30, foul)
Gawthrop (90, foul)
Lynn News Man of the Match - Chuck Martini
Report by permission of the Lynn News