• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Stamford 2
2nd November 2002
KING'S LYNN'S poor record at the first hurdle of the FA Trophy continued when they tumbled out at the hands of Stamford.
It was the Linnets' second defeat in the space of 11 days against the Daniels and the tie followed almost the same pattern of the 2-0 league defeat in Lincolnshire.
Saturday's loss left Lynn with just one win in 14 attempts in the first round.
Peter Morris' side had the lions share of possession and created plenty of chances, but failed to break down a resilient and well-organised Stamford outfit.
While it is evident the Linnets are in desperate need of a natural goalscorer, perhaps their problems lie closer to home with the persistence of playing 3-5-2 formation, which is clearly not working.
After a brief spell of early Stamford pressure, Lynn found their feet and in the 10th minute Wayne Anderson failed to commit himself in the box and head home a Nicky Blake cross from the left.
Eight minutes later that miss was forgotten when former Stamford man Carl Holmes fired a superb 20-yard dipping volley past visiting keeper Darren Horrigan to put Lynn 1-0 up.
Paul Watts and Adam Weston were both denied by Horrigan in the next three minutes, before Stamford levelled through Malcolm Ndekwe after good approach play by Richard Bailey and Danny Steadman with 27 minutes on the clock.
Lynn regained their composure and the energetic Stephenson twice delivered dangerous crosses into the Stamford box towards the end of the half, but Lynn failed to show the necessary conviction in front of the target.
Many supporters were still taking their seats when Stamford grabbed what proved to be the winner just seconds into the second half.
Lynn were still in the dressing room when Gareth Pritchard crossed for the left and Ndekwe was left with the easiest of headers at the far post.
The goal sparked a spell of Lynn pressure and in the 60th minutes Carl Holmes hit the post with a header before the ball came out to Lee Cowling, whose header was cleared off the line by Andy Peaks.
Stephenson had a shot deflected wide, while substitute Chris Bacon saw a long-range effort go close.
The only plus points were the performances of Nicky Blake, who was excellent during the 90 minutes, and substitute Jack Defty who didn't look out out of depth after replacing Adam Weston.
Other than pride and the League Cup where once again Stamford are the opponents in a home tie at The Walks Lynn have very little left to play for unless they can quickly find some consistency.

Lynn: Greygoose, Anderson, Blake, Burrows (Gowshall 55), Fuff, Cowling, Weston (Defty 55), Raynor, Watts (Bacon 74), Stephenson, Holmes. Subs not used: Johnson and Dobrowski.
Stamford: D. Horrigan, W. Donald, A. Peaks, N. Ashby, R. Blowers (C. Donaldson 55), R. Green (S. Thompson 55), R. Bailey, D. Steadman (R. Yardy 83), M. Ndekwe, G. Pritchard, K. Ainslie. Not used: M. Fisher, S. Corry.
Attendance: 637.
Referee: S. Symonds (Bar Hill).
FACT file Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn456312 Watts (50, elbow)
Cowling (65, late challenge)
Stamford 513811 Horrigan (45, dissent)
Lynn News Man of the Match - Nicky Blake

Report by permission of the Lynn News