• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 3 Bromsgrove 0
3rd January 1983
The Linnets overwhelmed Bromsgrove in a one-sided FA Trophy fixture at The Walks on Saturday.
Somehow the Midlands side held out until the 55th minute but once Freddie Easthall had crashed a low shot from 15 yards past Mick Lawrence there was no escape from the inevitable.
Jim Kabia provided the finishing touches with two excellent headers as the Linnets kept up the pressure right to the end.
So it's the Linnets who go forward from the third qualifying round into the draw for the first round proper of the competition for non-league clubs.
At first glance the heavily sanded Walks pitch might have been mistaken from Heacham beach, but as the players soon discovered it was frost covered and deceptively slippery.
Most players wisely used training shoes to get a firmer foothold and the Linnets, especially, served up superb pre-Christmas entertainment for the hardy 352 spectators.
The first half was mixed affair for the Linnets. They opened with a first minute header from Andy Higgins which was heading for the top corner of the net until goalkeeper Mick Lawrence stretched up and tipped it over the bar.
But for some time after that Lynn were guilty of indecision in and around the Bromsgrove box until Bircumshaw moved forward for an 18th minute header which went straight to Lawrence.
Winger Brian Thomson stretched the visitors with a 50 yard run down the right and his eventual centre was cleared from the goalmouth by Puskin.
Bromsgrove replied immediately through their winger Andy Parkes who tried an angled shot which Mick Drewery punched round the post. That effort came in the 32nd minute and after that Drewery was in danger of suffering from frostbite as his defence effortlessly cleared the few attacks that came their way.
A 20-yard drive by Ray Elliott threatened danger as Lynn looked for a breakthrough just before half time and Lawrence must have been relieved to see it whistle over the bar.
Bromsgrove only managed to hold out for ten minutes of continuous pressure in the second half. Shots swept into their goal from all angles and in the 55th minute although they managed to block out an effort by Elliott they could not stop Easthall's low drive which was in the net before Lawrence could get down.
In the 70th minute Lynn won their twelfth corner of the match and this led to the second goal.
Brian Thomson's centre curled in and Kabia beat Lawrence to glance in a header into the corner of the net.
There was certainly no escape for Bromsgrove now, just a question of how many Lynn would finish up with. They had mastery in midfield and effective movement in attack.
Craig Thompson, who had previously had one shot blocked on the line, was again unlucky in the 84th minute with a close range volley which was somehow kept out. While he was still wondering how the chance had slipped away, Higgins clipped the ball back into the middle where Kabia was now completely unmarked and he picked his spot with the header.
Probably because of the tricky conditions there were few rash challenges, but the referee still found it necessary to book Dave Hogg for a foul on Thompson and later Chris Watts for a foul on Hackett.
Lynn: Drewery; McJannet, Bircumshaw. Johnston, Watts; Thompson, Elliott, Easthall, Kabia, Higgins, Thomson. sub Wilson. Att 352<
Report by permission of the Lynn News