• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Weymouth 2 King's Lynn 1
3rd November 2001
TWO minutes of madness saw Lynn slump to an undeserved defeat at championship-challenging Weymouth on Saturday.
Livewire frontman Zeke Rowe handed Lynn the lead, but the off-colour hosts hit back to claim the points with two strikes inside the space of 120 seconds midway through the second half.
Tony Spearing's dogged side certainly didn't deserve to lose and can feel aggrieved not to have taken a point back home from their day at the Dorset seaside.
Spearing said: "I feel so sorry for the players as we battered them."
Weymouth's hotshot frontline of Lee Phillips and David Laws struggled to get any change out of Lynn's well marshalled rearguard.
Glen Fuff and former premiership star Roger Joseph, who was signed on a game-to-game basis from Leyton Orient on Friday, were both outstanding.
Laws had the first real sniff of goal on seven minutes when he got on the end of Phillips' clipped cross but his tame header was gratefully gobbled up by Lynn keeper Wilson.
With play confined to the middle third, the rest of the half was a bit of a stalemate with Lynn carving a couple of decent chances.
The best saw midfielder Jason Minnet play a neat one-two with Simon Dakin before going close with a dipping volley midway through the half.
At the other end, Wilson hardly had to get his knees dirty with only a Phillips curler and a wild airshot from an excellent position by defender Ryan Cross causing any real panic.
Lynn should have taken the lead after 38 minutes when Jamie March combined well with Rowe before seeing his driven cross zip across goal invitingly and from the resulting cross the wing-back got on the end of Minnet's ball but he only nodded wide with an empty net gaping.
However, Lynn took a deserved lead right on the stroke of half time when Rowe, who gave Weymouth's defence a torrid time throughout, fired Adie Hayes' cross past a stranded Danny Potter from close range.
It was more of the same after the break with a Dakin header going inches wide, while Hayes had a first time volley fizz past Potter's post.
Rowe was brilliantly denied by the keeper when the former Peterborough United man sprinted clean through.
Potter continued to keep his side in it with a superb reflex save from Dakin who got up high to powerfully head March's free-kick goalwards.
It took an enforced change by Weymouth which turned the contest on its head when midfielder Ian Hutchinson replaced the injured Cross after 55 minutes.
From that point on Weymouth finally began to live up to their lofty position and the visitors found themselves facing a backs to the wall job.
Wilson earned his wages on 69 minutes by getting the faintest of touches to deflect hot-shot Laws' sure-fire equaliser wide but just 60 seconds later Weymouth pulled level.
Phillips' well-directed nod down found Laws in space on the edge of the box and he drew marker Fuff before slipping in Mark Rawlinson and the trainee cracked an unstoppable drive past Wilson from 25 ands.
Lynn were now well and truly on the rack and it came as no surprise when the Terras scored again just two minutes later.
Mark Robinson and Hutchinson did well to work some space in a crowded box before finding the lethal Phillips who rode a couple of tackles and rounded Wilson to slot home from the tightest of angles.
Spearing threw on substitutes Lee Hudson and Jamie Clarke in a desperate attempt to grab a point, but it was to no avail.
Weymouth: D. Potter, M. Rawlinson, M. Hale, A. Browne (S. Browne 29), J. Waldock, R. Cross (I. Hutchinson 55), M. Robinson, J. Rowbotham, M. Dean, D. Laws, Lee Phillips. Sub not used: D. Bews.
Lynn: Wilson, Dakin, March, Joseph, Fuff, Clark (Evans 87), Minnet, Hayes, Jones, Rowe (Hudson 78), White (J. Clarke 78).
Bookings - Weymouth: Rowbotham (foul) 50. Lynn: Rowe (foul) 8, Minnet (foul) 36, Hayes (dissent) 75, Hudson (foul) 88.
Referee: Roger East (Wilton),
Attendance: 778
Report by permission of the Lynn News